Worst Lyrics

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I have favorites by both sides. Like my Dashboard Confessional example. The other end of it is the pretentiousness of my own favorite band for Christs sake. The Smashing Pumpkins were very pretentious in their writing but IMO it comes out beautifully. They laid just enough familiar images in their words that they set the mood for what they were writing. In my late teens I read those lyrics on their own even sans music and I felt like I was reading something mythical, epic and beyond all words that I can say. They spoke for me even when I couldn't understand what the exact message was. Actually, I like that too. I hate analyzing any artist writing to death and taking the f***ing soul out of it in the first place. You know what the best lyrics are? It's the ones that are universal enough that you are almost taking the artists place whenever the song is played and you become the voice! If I have to read a textbook, history book or any book whatsoever to understand the depths of what the artist is saying to you then the artist is way more into his own shit than making the connection that is the main purpose in the first place!

:clap: :hab:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
.....and to lightened the mood of that statement I present this video to the masses! Sing it if it connects to you! It ain't my song but it might be yours! :grinthumb

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
I have favorites by both sides. Like my Dashboard Confessional example. The other end of it is the pretentiousness of my own favorite band for Christs sake. The Smashing Pumpkins were very pretentious in their writing but IMO it comes out beautifully. They laid just enough familiar images in their words that they set the mood for what they were writing. In my late teens I read those lyrics on their own even sans music and I felt like I was reading something mythical, epic and beyond all words that I can say. They spoke for me even when I couldn't understand what the exact message was. Actually, I like that too. I hate analyzing any artist writing to death and taking the f***ing soul out of it in the first place. You know what the best lyrics are? It's the ones that are universal enough that you are almost taking the artists place whenever the song is played and you become the voice! If I have to read a textbook, history book or any book whatsoever to understand the depths of what the artist is saying to you then the artist is way more into his own shit than making the connection that is the main purpose in the first place!

Personally, I don't care what the artist meant in his lyrics. If it doesn't mean something to me, it's failed art. If you have to explain it, it didn't work. Kind of like the painter in a gallery trying to explain how his painting of a single blue line represents the existential struggle against blah blah blah ZZZzzzz. The Dylan Song, Desolation Row, that was presented as an example, was inspired by a historical event, but it wasn't about the event. It works as poetry without that context. I've always loved that song but only recently learned about the historical event that inspired it. I love simple, but there is a difference between simple and simplistic. Like I said, Smoke Robinson wrote some of the most beautiful love songs ever made, and they were all very simple. But I could hear the pain, and more importantly, I felt it. If it were easy, anyone could do it.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Personally, I don't care what the artist meant in his lyrics. If it doesn't mean something to me, it's failed art. If you have to explain it, it didn't work.

So Every Rose should be A-ok. It's pretty self explanatory. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care what the artist meant in his lyrics. If it doesn't mean something to me, it's failed art. If you have to explain it, it didn't work. Kind of like the painter in a gallery trying to explain how his painting of a single blue line represents the existential struggle against blah blah blah ZZZzzzz. The Dylan Song, Desolation Row, that was presented as an example, was inspired by a historical event, but it wasn't about the event. It works as poetry without that context. I've always loved that song but only recently learned about the historical event that inspired it. I love simple, but there is a difference between simple and simplistic. Like I said, Smoke Robinson wrote some of the most beautiful love songs ever made, and they were all very simple. But I could hear the pain, and more importantly, I felt it. If it were easy, anyone could do it.

I read the song just a minute ago. Maybe I have the advantage of not hearing Bob sing it but on it's own it's not a bad song by any means. Do I connect more than a "That's something that had a good rhythm to it and created some good imagery!" No and I don't think I can because music that's made for a certain time doesn't do always do that. It's generational as opposed to older songs that were universal and still connect today. I guess I wasn't lucky enough to be in that tidal wave of culture that Dylan represented and he doesn't give me that extra punch by having a sound that pulls me in further into that world and want to relate to the material. I'll never say he's bad but nothing he's done that I've experienced reaches me and my mind and heart is always open to music without discrimination. Even Bob could wow me with an uncovered gem or a new song. I do like with God On Our Side but I tend to listen to the cover of it I know instead!

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
So Every Rose should be A-ok. It's pretty self explanatory. :grinthumb

Well, Thumper says the song is about Brett's success costing him a relationship, what in the lyrics conveys that? I've been pretty clear on my problems with the simplistic, cliched imagry in Every Rose..., I think it sucks, you don't, so if you insist on continuing to argue about it, you are free to argue with yourself.:grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Well, Thumper says the song is about Brett's success costing him a relationship, what in the lyrics conveys that? I've been pretty clear on my problems with the simplistic, cliched imagry in Every Rose..., I think it sucks, you don't, so if you insist on continuing to argue about it, you are free to argue with yourself.:grinthumb

I'm not arguing. Just curious. You like a challenge in the lyrics, new words, better vocabulary, and now you say that you don't like to have songs spelled out for you and should get it right away.

I'm basically stating that the words are self explanatory and anything in life whether it be the cost of success to cheating or anything else can lead to a breakup.

That song is really speaking in terms of the feelings one gets from the aftermath of losing someone you cared about. But to make it relatable to the listener he avoids all the boring drama that leads up to the loss itself.

Except for the fact that he's letting us in that there is a silent tension between him and her that's been going on and that they are going to have to face reality that it's over.

But you've expressed many times that you don't like the song anyway in general and that's ok.

:cheers:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm not going to post the lyrics because this isn't a thread for good lyrics but even though Every Rose Has It's Thorn had it's appeal because it's easy to relate to and not overly complicated I think Poison wrote a 1,000 times better ballad with Something To Believe in! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilgrim

Staff online

Members online