for things that you've done wrong.
While you're inciting others.
You're owning up to nothing
and I wish that I was gone,
because you're not going anywhere.

On the way home
this car hears my confessions.
I think tonight I'll take the long way.

I love anything by Dashboard and the simplicity is perfect for his style. He captures the angst in younger relationships in a way that his target audience can easily sing along too and become part of the catharsis. The ambiance and intimacy that he has with his audience just shows why what he does works so well. I remember when the c.d. The Places That You've Come to Fear the Most came out and it was right after I had broken up with the person I first had a real relationship with. The one thing I connected with was his music and I could listen to his c.d.s on repeat and really feel like I was projecting whatever was bothering me away. I still like it even though I've grown and I think that Chris Carraba has the genius of personability (not a real word but it's mine damn it! :lmao:) and knows his audience in a appreciative way rather than a cash in on the broken hearts way.

Sometimes I think the phrase "Keep it simple, stupid!" works just fine with writing! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
There is an old saying that less is more and if the song makes sense than I think that is a fair statement.

Some artists that try to be too clever sometimes end up looking as if they're trying to hard depending on the artist of course...

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
There is an old saying that less is more and if the song makes sense than I thik that is afair statement.

Some artists that try to be too clever sometimes end up looking as if they're trying to hard depending on the artist of course...

I have favorites by both sides. Like my Dashboard Confessional example. The other end of it is the pretentiousness of my own favorite band for Christs sake. The Smashing Pumpkins were very pretentious in their writing but IMO it comes out beautifully. They laid just enough familiar images in their words that they set the mood for what they were writing. In my late teens I read those lyrics on their own even sans music and I felt like I was reading something mythical, epic and beyond all words that I can say. They spoke for me even when I couldn't understand what the exact message was. Actually, I like that too. I hate analyzing any artist writing to death and taking the f***ing soul out of it in the first place. You know what the best lyrics are? It's the ones that are universal enough that you are almost taking the artists place whenever the song is played and you become the voice! If I have to read a textbook, history book or any book whatsoever to understand the depths of what the artist is saying to you then the artist is way more into his own shit than making the connection that is the main purpose in the first place!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasir

Members online