19. Stever Miller (No change)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

Vinyl/Tape Added-
------------------------
Boston- Self Titled
Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic
Styx- Grand Illusion
Led Zeppelin -IV

Concert: Louisiana LeRoux and Marshall Tucker Band- December 27, 1978 Price on Ticket Stub- $7.50

Was never a fan but went at behest of girl friend. Company was better than concert, but I knew others who really liked this band

Catfish

Reaction score
January 1979 List
------------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (+3)
3. Foreigner (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Van Halen (-3)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Led Zeppelin (+1)
8. Kansas (-1)
9. Rush (No change)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Foghat (No change)
12. Moody Blues (+1)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
14. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
15. Chicago (+2)
16. Bad Company (-1)
17. Al Stewart (-1)
18. Steve Miller (+1)
19. Ted Nugent (-1)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

New Vinyl/tapes added
--------------------------------
Bob Seger- Stranger in Town

Catfish

Reaction score
February 1979 List
------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (+1)
4. Foreigner (-1)
5. Van Halen (No change)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Kansas (+1)
8. Led Zeppeln (-1)
9. Rush (No change)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (+1)
12. Foghat (-1)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
14. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
15. Bad Company (+1)
16. Ted Nugent (+3)
17. Chicago (-2)
18. Stever Miller (No change)
19. The Cars (New)
20. ZZ Top (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added
----------------------------
Beatles - '67- '70

The Cars- The Gold standard by far of the new wave era. Very tight musicianship, and eccletric sound that was unique to this band. No one else sounded like The Cars If I had a list of 10 bands I most regret not seeing in concert, this one sure would be on it. Picking a sample of greatness from this catalog is a tough task. I could easily choose one of about 10-15. I am choosing "It's all I can do." from Candy-O If you listen at the 1:50-2:15 mark , you will hear 4 very clearly intricate melodic lines that flow and blend together like magic. Some of the best songwriting you will ever hear. As a bonus, i wanted to add "Magic" as well. Just so we can get both an Orr and Ocasek song.

Catfish

Reaction score
March 1979 List
-------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Rush (+4)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Van Halen (-2)
8. Kansas (-1)
9. Led Zeppelin (-1)
10. Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (No change)
12. Toto (New)
13. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
14. Foghat (-2)
15. Fleetwoo Mac (-1)
16. Bad Company (-1)
17. Eddie Money (New)
18. Chicago (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-4)

Vinyl/Tapes Added
-----------------------
Heart- Dreamboat Annie

Toto- A general session-"ist" type of band formed of good musicians. They are fusion of many styles including straight forward rock, with tinges of prog, and jazz style. Kind of an uneven career. 1st and 5th albums are very very good. But it is the 4th one that this band will be remembered for (IV) That album included Rosanna and Africa. I think the album had sold about 10-15M units. Huge, including Grammies, if memory serves. After Isolation, as far as I am concerned they fell off the musical earth.

An anecdotal item on this band too. In my first job out college, I worked for the State Dept. of Health. Part of my many duties was to inspect Day Cares. One day, I just happened to check this one place in Vinton, Louisiana, and it happened to be Lead Singer Bobby Kimball's mother. She had a Platinum album on the wall, so that was pretty cool to see.

As far as samples, from ToTo, I am going to add one of their biggest hit, and then go with a couple more obscure ones I really liked.

On this one, Deadwood fans might notice their favorite Doc here (The fugitive)

Eddie Money- . Another great Rock and Roller we lost in the past few years. Money made Crooners cool again, and put together a solid base of hits and music. Master of hooks, and great showman. Seeing Ronnie Spector die recently brought back a lot of memories of the Money Man. Here are a couple of my favorites.

My second serious girlfriend was a dead ringer for the lady in this video... Looks and temperment. I was lucky to get out of it alive.

Catfish

Reaction score
April 1979 List
----------------------
1.Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Rush (+1)
5. Bob Seger (+1)
6. Foreigner (-2)
7. Led Zeppelin (+2)
8. Van Halen (-1)
9. Kansas (-1)
10.Eagles (No change)
11. Moody Blues (No chnage)
12. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
13. Toto (-1)
14. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
15. Foghat (-1)
16. Bad Company (No change)
17. Chicago (+1)
18. Eddie Money (-1)
19. Steve Miller Band (No Change)
20. Ted Nugent (No Change)

Vinyl/tapes added-
--------------------------
Three Dog Night- Golden Biscuits
Bachman Turner Overdrive- Head On
Bachman Turner Overdrive- 4 Wheel Drive

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Rush- I know I really need to contain myself trying to quantify and qualify the career of my favorite band of all time, by far. Rather than making it a 1000 word narrative, I just ask that the reader who may not be familar to this band, sample a few dozen of their tunes on YT. I can honestly say that this particular band embodies the traits of consistency , workmanship, and ultimate talent. The sound just these three produce come across as a full rock orchestra. 6 hands and feet never were this talented.

Picking an introductory tune as an introduction would be a very difficult decision. I'd might start with their most famous (Tom Sawyer), but realized that one has been overplayed, and may not be new ground for many. Xanadu would be my next choice, but wouldn't want to be a tune that is so strongly synth based. Then I thought of 2112, but not many would want to sit through 20 minutes (its above anyway). I finally decided to go with a live version of "Natural Science". Though it doesn't showcase Neil Peart's drum wizardry as much as other tunes, it really is a great tune showing the bands excessviely talented ability to use key and time changes at a whim. Complexity at is best.
Rush. My first exposure to Rush was “A Farewell To Kings”. My best friend, Charlie (yep Charlie was female, short for Charlene), introduced me to them in the fall of ‘78. I had never heard anything like “Xanadu” before. It was like being on a fantasy island. Charlie always said Geddy Lee had to be tripping on something because he could make gibberish lyrics sound so cool. “To this day, Xanadu is a song I love and cherish the memories it created.
Question for debate... What was the first progessive rock album?

Pet Sounds from The Beach Boys?- May 1966
Sgt Peppers from the Beatles?- May 1967
In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson?- October 1969
The Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack by The Nice?- March 1968
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd? August 1967

My opinion it is the Days of Future Past by the Moody Blues, released in November 1967. But that's jut my opinion. Or is another not listed?
Oh boy! When you pick a question, you pick a doozie! I am still trying to figure out what “progressive” means. :eek:

Anyway, for the sake of the question, I have a sound impression in my mind of what progressive rock should sound like and King Crimson ~ In The Court Of The Crimson King fits that sound. Yep, I would argue this to be the first without being avant- garde, overly lush, or symphonic / neoclassical sounding.
Concert: Louisiana LeRoux and Marshall Tucker Band- December 27, 1978 Price on Ticket Stub- $7.50

Was never a fan but went at behest of girl friend. Company was better than concert, but I knew others who really liked this band
Louisiana LeRoux. That’s a blast of the past. Rarely hear anyone mention LeRoux. I saw them in a bar in North Carolina….;)
The Harmonies on “Take a Ride on a Riverboat” is impressive. Southern rock is my weakness. Another song on the same album is one of my dearest loves….saving that for another thread.

TACdtf

Reaction score
May 1976 List
-------------------

Vinyl/Tape Additions
------------------------

Sweet- Desolation Blvd.

The Sweet- British Glam / Pop Band that was mostly known by the hit Fox on the Run, and Bar Room Blitz Formulaic . Hate to embarass myself, but my liking this group was more to the fact that a girlfriend at the time and stuffI would listen to this in my car. I will stop with that embarassment right now. No excuses. (Drops head in shame)
No shame at all, brother. Desolation Boulevard is one of my all time favorite albums. It's an amazing album about ten different ways!

Catfish

Reaction score
No shame at all, brother. Desolation Boulevard is one of my all time favorite albums. It's an amazing album about ten different ways!
Excellent. Most don't realize that if there wasn't Sweet around, there likely would not be Def Leppard. Kudos to them for that alone.

Catfish

Reaction score
May 1979 List
------------------------
1.Boston (No change)
2. Styx (No change)
3. Aerosmith (No change)
4. Rush (No change)
5. Led Zeppelin (+2)
6. Foreigner (No change)
7. Van Halen (+1)
8. Bob Seger (-3)
9. Bad Company (+7)
10. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-2)
11. Eagles (-1)
12. Kansas (-3)
13. Toto (No change)
14. Moody Blues (-3)
15. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
16. Foghat (-1)
17. Chicago (No change)
18. Steve Miller Band (+1)
19. Bachman Turner Overdrive (New)
20. Ted Nugent (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added-
------------------------
Bad Company - Desolation Angels
The Cars- Self Titled
Styx- Equinox

About 10 years ago, Styx (minus DeYoung) decided on this so novel way of replaying the aboslute best of their glory days. Playing in concert in album form and orer of their two greatest works.... Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight. These two albums dominated my turntable in the 1977-1979 timeframe. These were unbelievably strong and consistent works. Wish more classic rock bands had done this. One disclaimer, .....This singer is not Dennis DeYoung, but well worth a listen, if you are into this band or era

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online