13. AC DC (-2)
14. Pat Benetar (-2)
15. Joan Jett- New
16. Kansas (-3)
17. REO Speedwagon- (-2)
18. Police (No change)
19. Cars (-3)
20. Eagles (-3)

Joan Jett- An alum of the old full girl rock band The Runaways. Hardest rocking lady of the ladies. Very straight forward rock and roll, and got some pretty big hits in the early to mid '80's. Cover of Crimson and Clover, I Love Rock and Roll, and this one..... She was a sexy rock star, and milked it well on stage.

And drum roll.....

Concert- April 5, 1982 Rigg and Rush- Price on stub- $10.50.- This by far was the greatest and most fantastic concert event in my entire life. Show was mesmerizing. It was surreal seeing such precision, talent, and musicianship in a 2 hour period. Visuals were so beyond their times, as it was supporting the Moving Pictures tour. Which critically is considered among their best.

So hard to explain how great it was. As I got older, I kept saying I wanted to attend another Rush concert, but let time get away, and sadly now that will never happen. Did find the set list, and it as follows. Also am adding a video/concert of as I remembered them.

2112 Part I: Overture
2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
Freewill
Limelight
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
Beneath, Between & Behind
Subdivisions
The Camera Eye
YYZ
Drum Solo
Broon's Bane
The Trees
The Analog Kid
The Spirit of Radio
Red Barchetta
Closer to the Heart
Tom Sawyer
Vital Signs
Working Man
Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part IV: Armageddon
By-Tor & The Snow Dog
In the End
In the Mood
2112 Part VII: Grand Finale
La Villa Strangiato

Catfish

Reaction score
May 1982 List
---------------------
1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (+1)
4. Foreigner (-1)
5. Rush (No change)
6. Bob Seger (No change)
7. Dire Straits (No change)
8. Christopher Cross (+3)
9. Led Zeppelin (-1)
10. Boston (No change)
11. Asia (New)
12. Jefferson Starship (-3)
13. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
14. AC DC (-1)
15. Police (+3)
16. Pat Benetar (-2)
17. Kansas (-1)
18 Joan Jett (-3)
19. REO Speedwagon (-2)
20. Cars (-1)

Asia- . Heat of the Moment is an epic song by this Prog Supergroup formed from the ashes of Yes, ELP. and King Crimson. In theory, you would think this was the ultimate prog group. And I do grant, that a few of their songs are pretty damned good. But as a Band, they exploded at the onset, and then fizzled almost as fast afterwards This seemed like more forced corporate record company formula and product, than sweat equity and heart.

Concert- May 31, 1982, UFO, Grand Funk Railroad, and Jim Dandy- Price on stub- $8.50

Talk about a tough act to follow after being spoiled by the iconic band Rush, this next endeavor was not good at all. On the surface, you would have thought this would be a great concert..... but as far as I was concerned, the band that headlined, should have been the opener.

For starts, UFO came out for good short set.... played their known hits.... Over.

Secondly, the main reason I wanted to come to this thing is to see Grand Funk, who as far as I was concerned were legends of early U.S Hard Rock. Set was freakin' 3 songs!!!!!!!! I was glad one was I'm Your Captain, but geez...

Then Jim Dandy and Ruby (minus Black Oak) comes out and growls through an hour and a half of distortion, and crotch rubbing. Ugh... Left before encore, to give you an idea of what I thought of this one.

Catfish

Reaction score
June 1982 List
-------------------
1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
3. Neil Young (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Bob Seger (+1)
6. Rush (-1)
7. Christopher Cross (+1)
8. Dire Straits (-1)
9. Led Zeppelin (No change)
10. Boston (No change)
11. Jefferson Starship (-1)
12. Asia (-1)
13. Kansas (+4)
14. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
15. Pat Benetar (-1)
16. AC DC (-2)
17. Police (-2)
18. Sammy Hagar (New)
19. Cars (+1)
20. REO Speedwagon (-1)

Sammy Hagar-. The Red Rocker's career is basically sliced into thirds. 1st he was the grit behind Montrose, and really help make that band into a '70's staple. Secondly, he had successful solo career, for which I feel embodies his best work. And last he and what he is most known for is the singer of Van Halen. Also part of the most argued points of debate in rock history. Roth or Hagar???!!!!!. I was always disappointed EVH didn't utilize Sammy's awesome Ax skills into some of Van Halen's act. Can you imagine how some tradional mid '70's like guitar dueling would have sounded? Prob the best since Clapton/Allman. My theory was EVH's ego often got into the way of the band's direction. But this is about Hagar, and his contributions can't be overlooked.

Concert- Texas World Music Festival '82- June 13, 1982--- Point Blank, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Sammy Hagar, Santana, Journey- Price on stub- $18.50-

This was my first and last foray into all day music venues. I think you all know how much I enjoy music, and concerts, but watching for 12 hours wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. First the negative, and most of all.... The Astrodome really sucked as a music venue. Echos, distortion, and virbrating rafters are not conducive to a good concert experience. Then add the fact I had a girl friend who could consume a lot of beer in 12 hours. Had to deal with that distraction too. But yeah, it was worth it, seeing this caliber and volume of great acts.

Every act was really good. and I guessing there was probably 50,000 people there.

And to cap it all off, I asked the girlfriend to put our parking lot number location in her purse, and somehow that got lost during the day. We didn't get on I-610 until 2:30 in the morning. Man, I wish I had gone by myself.
cool.gif

Catfish

Reaction score
July 1982 List
-------------------
1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Foreigner ((No change)
5. Police (+12)
6. Bob Seger (-1)
7. Rush (-1)
8. Christopher Cross (-1)
9. Dire Straits (-1)
10. Asia (+2)
11. Led Zeppelin (-2)
12. Boston (-2)
13. Jefferson Starship (-2)
14. Kansas (-1)
15. Heart (New)
16. Pat Benetar (-1)
17. AC DC (-1)
18. Fleetwood Mac (-4)
19. Cars (No change)
20. REO Speedwagon

Catfish

Reaction score
August 1982 List
---------------------
1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Police (No change)
6. Rush (+1)
7. Bob Seger (-1)
8. Christopher Cross (No change)
9. Asia (+1)
10. Dire Straits (-1)
11. Led Zeppelin (+1)
12. Jefferson Starship (+1)
13. Boston (-1)
14. AC DC (+3)
15. Sammy Hagar (New)
16. April Wine (New)
17. Kansas (-3)
18. Pat Benetar (-2)
19. Heart (-4)
20. Cars (-1)

April Wine- Easy a top 10 of all time Canadian Band, who got a lot of success in Canada in the mid '70's. but didn't catch on over here until the early '80's. They like so many other bands fell off the cliff in the U.S., after hitting the top. But those loyal Canadians kept on, keeping on, and these guys far as Canada were still making hits even into the early '90's. My biggest gripe? Like some others, I really cringe when I see bands that have as many compliation albums (15) as they do studio albums (16). What I call the Creedence Syndrome. Milk it bubba.

Here is the one, most of you most probably remember.....

Catfish

Reaction score
September 1982 List
--------------------------
1. Styx (No change)
2. Journey (No change)
4. Police (+1)
5. Foreigner (-1)
6. Rush (No change)
7. Kansas (+10)
8. Bob Seger (-1)
9. Christopher Cross (-1)
10. Asia (-1)
11. Led Zeppelin (No change)
12. Dire Straits (-2)
13. Boston (No change)
14. Jefferson Starship (-2)
15. AC DC (-1)
16. Pat Benetar (+3)
17. April Wine (-1)
18. Sammy Hagar (-3)
19. Cars (+1)
20. Heart (-1)

Concert- September 20, 1982- Toronto and Nazareth Cost on stub $10.00- Enjoyable show that from what I remember was relatively lightly attended. Nazareth was pretty much in decline. 7 years removed from Hair of the Dog.

Toronto- Hate to keep infusing sex into a classic rock discussion, but my most striking memory of them was that the two front ladies were in skin tight black leather outfits that were getting pretty sweaty. This in a venue on a late summer like evening in Texas. I'll just leave it at that. I do remember they did play their one hit. And it was pretty good.

Nazareth- . I remember mostly they played the catalog of well known stuff, which was great. Looked it up, and I noticed the album that this tour was supporting never even made it into the top 100. Probably why they shied away from new stuff.

Catfish

Reaction score
October 1982 List
----------------------------
1. Styx- No change
2. Journey- No change
4. Kansas (+3)
5. Police (-1)
6. Foreigner (-1)
7. Rush (-1)
8. Fleetwood Mac (New)
9. Bob Seger (-1)
10. Asia (No change)
11. Christopher Cross (-2)
12. Led Zeppelin (-1)
13. Boston (No change)
14. Dire Straits (-2)
15. Jefferson Starship (-1)
16. AC DC (-1)
17. Pat Benetar (-1)
18. April Wine (-1)
19. Cars (No change)
20. Sammy Hagar (-2)

Catfish

Reaction score
November 1982 List
1. Styx (No change)
2. Jurney (No change)
4. Foreigner (+2)
5. Police (No change)
6. Kansas (-2)
7. Fleetwood Mac (+1)
8. Rush (-1)
9. Bob Seger (No change)
10. Asia (No change)
11. Led Zeppelin (+1)
12. Boston (+1)
13. Christopher Cross (-2)
14. Dire Straits (No change)
15. Cars (+4)
16. Jefferson Starship (-1)
17. AC DC (-1)
18. Pat Benetar (-1)
19. April Wine (-1)
20. Sammy Hagar (No change)

This one's dedicated to all the other musicians out there who understand and appreciate the level of complexity and difficulty in both the songwriting and performance of this great tune. I uusally lose count at 12 key changes, and 15 time changes. The way the guys weave in and out with Alex' screeching lead, with the bass line, and insane variable syncopative percussion? A masterpiece. It seems this number would be super difficult to pull off live, but they did it during the '83 and '84 touring. (see below) Just wish there was an acutal live video of it being done.

Kid Gloves strangely gets overlooked in the catalog. To me, it's easy in their 10-15 best.

Catfish

Reaction score
December 1982 List
1. Styx (No change)
2. Neil Young (+1)
3. Journey (-1)
4. Foreigner (No change)
5. Kansas (+1)
6. Police (-1)
7. Led Zeppelin (+4)
8. Rush (No change)
9. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
10. Bob Seger (-1)
11. Asia (-1)
12. Boston (No change)
13. Pat Benetar (+5)
14. Cars (+1)
15. Christopher Cross (-2)
16. Dire Straits (-2)
17. Jefferson Starship (-1)
18. Men at Work (New)
19. Sammy Hagar (+1)
20. AC DC (-3)

Men at Work- . Aussie band with short term success with the one album that had a couple of big catchy hits that were pushed by MTV heavy rotation. How else would we know what a Vegimite Sandwich was? 2nd and 3rd albums sucked, and these guys faded into oblivion.

If you are over 50, and don't remember this... Check the rock you were hiding under, because it was usually on the radio everywhere.

Concert- Billy Squier and The Who- December 3, 1982. Cost on stub- $18.50

Billy Squier- Remember it being maybe a half an hour set, but got to hear "The Stroke". Big and cool enough to make the soundtrack of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Great opening.

The Who- There aren't many legends out there bigger than The Who. Even today, The Who along with Rush and few other bands, are my most listened to acts. From near beginning of the British Invasion, to Woodstock, to 1st Two Rock Operas, and beyond...... To give you an idea, I think I have somewhere between 30-40 of their tunes on my Ipod. Seeing true music legends was a great treat. As I mentioned before the Astrodome was not the best of venues due to distortion, but I didn't care..... This was The f--king Who.

For sample? How about the entire concert? Sound on YT video is poor, but this is what I heard......

My Generation
Substitute
Dangerous
Sister Disco
The Quiet One
It's Hard
Eminence Front
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
I Can't Explain
Naked Eye
Drowned
Cry If You Want
Who Are You
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
5:15
Love, Reign O'er Me
Long Live Rock
Won't Get Fooled Again
Love Ain't for Keepin'
Squeeze Box
Twist and Shout

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@Catfish

Talking about Sammy Hagar above….for Van Halen I will always consider Roth the best frontman even though VH+Hagar had this hard hitting anthem…5150 being my fav Van Hagar album.

Best of Both Worlds

However, I feel Hagar was best with Montrose.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WPaton

Members online

No members online now.