My Top 20 Lists that I compiled as a kid 1973-1990

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Kansas-There are few more talented than Kansas in execution in both studio and live. As you can see as my tastes evolved, you are seeing more singer songrwriters, and Prog. There aren't too many albums presently that I like to listen to in their entirety. Leftoverture is an exception. This album and the next "Point of No Return" dominated air play, our dormitories, and 8 tracks all around. Now the fact that Kansas is not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, is absolutely criminal. Everyone who knows anything about rock and roll knows how influential and powerful this band is. They don't need validation from a dozen Rolling Stoned Magazine short bus dwellers.

Rather than suggest the exhaustively heavily played "Carry on Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind", I am suggesting a more obscure, though no less of a masterpiece....... Sparks of the Tempest has great complexity and melodic sensibilites that in some ways blends a number of Kansas' styles into a single song. Spectacular.

Sparks is a nice track....but my favorite continues to be Song For America...an epic of prog rock and lyrics that sum up what we have done to this great country and has similar themes as Sparks.
:cool:

Catfish

Reaction score
July 1997 List
------------------------
1. Led Zeppelin- (No change)
2. Boston (No change)
3. Rush (+3)
4. Aerosmith (-1)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
6. ZZ Top (+2)
7, Moody Blues (-2)
8. Foghat (-1)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Robin Trower (+1)
11. Queen (-1)
12. Kiss (No change)
13. Deep PUrple (+2)
14. Nazareth (No change)
15. The Who (-2)
16. Sweet (New)
17. Chicago (-1)
18. Alice Cooper (New)
19. Black Sabbath (-1)
20. Ted Nugent (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes added-
----------------------
None

Concert: Rick Derringer and Alice Cooper - July 1, 1977

Let me start with a preface... As you have seen on these lists, I had quite an admiration for AC and especially his stage show, which still to this day is among the best in rock history. With that, I wanted to make sure I got a front row (literally) seat to the event, and got there early to stand in place front and center to the stage. Derringer played his hits in about a 45 minute set with no problems. Everybody got to see Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo

When AC entered the stage, the crowd surged forward, and by the first 1/3 of the first song, I among several others were severely pinned against the plank of the stage. It felt like my lungs were getting crushed, and every breath was a ghasp of almost nothing. When someone finally noticed on stage, an individual came out and started screaming.... Everyone on the Floor 2.... steps back NOW!!!!... Everyone on the Floor... 3 Steps back NOW!!! The crowd start dispersing back, but by then I noticed about 10-15 feet away a young petite girl and another kid had passed out from the crush of the crowd. After a couple of minutes of pleaing for the crowd to move back, a couple of paramedics made it to the kids, and they were pulled out of the crowd. It is hard to explain how harrowing it is, to think you are crushed and strangulated from the sheer force of a few hundred people behind you trying to get to the stage. I do not know what the final outcome of these kids, but it didn't make any news. Likely because the venue was run by the city.

But the concert itself? Stage show was fabuous, as this was the show supporting the "Lace and Whisky Tour". But it seems he kept the "Welcome to My Nighmare" stage theme. Great effects and props. Did not like seeing the band without founding members, or like the fact that AC was drunk and slurring his lyrics. The bruisng arond my upper torso also came at no charge.

Catfish

Reaction score
August 1977 List

1. Led Zeppelin (No change)
2. Boston (No Change)
3. Rush (No Change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Moody Blues (+2)
6. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
7. ZZ Top (-1)
8. Foghat (No change)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Sweet (+6)
11. Queen (No change)
12. Deep Purple (+1)
13. Robin Trower (-3)
14. Kiss (-2)
15. Nazareth (-1)
16. The Who (-1)
17. Black Sabbath (+2)
18. Foreigner (New)
19. Chicago (-2)
20. Alice Cooper (-2)

Vinyl/Tape additions-
-------------
None

Foreigner- Very very good band that had excellent song writing skills, and got huge airplay in the 70's. All of their first 5 albums charted in the Top 5 in the U.S. And honestly, only the first 5 are worth listening to. It kind of seemed they hit a brick wall after Agent Provacteur, and the creative juices evaporated. Feels Like the First Time, Cold as Ice, Hot Blooded, Urgent, Juke Box Hero, and I want to Know What Love Is........ All in a huge streak a big hits, that kept Foreigner on the radio for pretty much 10 years.

Catfish

Reaction score
September 1977 List
---------------------------------

1. Boston (+1)
2. Led Zeppelin (-1)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Moody Blues (No Change)
6. Fleetwood Mac (New)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
8. Eagles (No Change)
9. ZZ Top (-2)
10. Foghat (-2)
11. Sweet (-1)
12. Queen (-1)
13. Steve Miller Band (New)
14. Deep Purple (-2)
15. Robin Trower (-2)
16. Kiss (-2)
17. Alice Cooper (+3)
18. Peter Frampton (New)
19. The Who (-3)
20. Black Sabbath (-3)

Vinyl/Tapes Added- None

Fleetwood Mac- . Fleetwood Mac was a slightly obsure to the main rock community, but had built up a nice following for those tending strongly in the English Bluesy bands of the '60's. Looking it up, the highest that the original Fleetwood Mac would chart in the U.S was No.34. Relatively tepid considering at this point the group had had 10 studio albums.

That all changed with a tidal wave for the next album and beyond, when the group added the couple of Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. The Next 5 albums would all be in the Top 10. Rumours was at the time the largest selling album of all time. 15X Platinum.

And of course I had a significant crush on Stevie Nicks..... Others may have Farrah Fawcett Majors on their dorm wall. Not Me. I had a sweating Stevie poster with her singing. Super sexy woman, with maybe the sexyist voice of all time? Before digressing more, I want to pick a number from MY favorite FM album... Tusk. This album does great justice showing how underrated and under appreciated Buckingham's guitar work was. If you've never listened to Tusk, in its entirety, you are missing out.

Catfish

Reaction score
October 1977 List
---------------------------

1. Boston (No change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No Change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Moody Blues (+1)
5. Aerosmith (-1)
6. Fleetwood Mac (No change)
7. Emerson Lake and Palmer (No change)
8. Eagles (No change)
9. Foghat (+1)
10. ZZ Top (-1)
11. Steve Miller Band (+2)
12. Queen (No change)
13. Sweet (-2)
14. Peter Frampton (+4)
15. Alice Cooper (+2)
16. Deep Purple (-2)
17. Robin Trower (-2)
18. Kiss (-2)
19. The Who (No change)
20. Black Sabbath (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added-
------------------------
Rush- Farewell To Kings
Ted Nugent- Cat Scratch Fever

Catfish

Reaction score
November 1977 List
------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
2. Led Zeppelin (No change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (+1)
5. Moody Blues (-1)
6. Emerson Lake Palmer (+1)
7. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
8. Foghat (+1)
9. Eagles (-1)
10. Ted Nugent (New)
11. ZZ Top (-1)
12. Steve Miller Band (-1)
13. Blue Oyster Cult (New)
14. Queen (-2)
15. Peter Frampton (-1)
16. Sweet (-3)
17. Robin Trower (No change)
18. Alice Cooper (-3)
19. Kiss (-1)
20. Black Sabbath (No Change)

Vinyl/tapes added-
-----------------------
None

Blue Oyster Cult- Very technically astute heavy rockers who blend great musicanship with showmanship. There's a lot more about this band than an SNL Cowbell skit.

Concert Attended: Cheap Trick and Blue Oyster Cult- November 3, 1977 (cost on stub- $7.00)

Best to date. Cheap Trick was just coming out, and was really good. Blue Oyster Cult? All I can say is wow. It had their infamous laser show where ther guitarist would shoot his laser from his wrist into a spinning disco ball, and the lasers would scatter and bounce all over the place. Incredible.!!!!! Band was so good too, as this show supported the Agents of Fortune Tour, so all the great ones like Don't Fear the Reaper, and ETI were covered. They even gave the crowd a performance of Godzilla which had not been released yet.

Plus we all had a laugh. Before BOC would take the stage, the disco ball started spinning with color lights reflecting. And all the sudden a disco sound rang out. The boo-ing in the crowd was so loud it shook the rafters. What a hoot.

Catfish

Reaction score
December 1977 List
--------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
6. Moody Blues (-1)
7. Ted Nugent (+3)
8. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
9. Eagles (No change)
10. Foghat (-2)
11. ZZ Top (No change)
12. Blue Oyster Cult (+1)
13. Steve Miller Band (-1)
14. Robin Trower (+3)
15. Queen (-1)
16. Nazareth (New)
17. Sweet (-1)
18. Alice Cooper (No change)
19. Kiss (No change)
20. Peter Frampton (-5)

Vinyl/Tapes additions
-------------------------
Led Zeppelin- Self Titled
Kiss - Destroyer
ZZ Top- Fandango
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Catfish

Reaction score
January 1978 List
---------------------------
1. Boston (No change)
3. Rush (No change)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Ted Nugent (+2)
6. Emerson Lake and Palmer (-1)
7. Eagles (+2)
8. Foghat (+2)
9. Moody Blues (-3)
10. Fleetwood Mac (-2)
11. ZZ Top (No change)
12. Steve Miller Band (+1)
13. Robin Trower (+1)
14. Blue Oyster Cult (-2)
15. Queen (No change)
16. REO Speedwagon (New)
17. Nazareth (-1)
18. Sweet (-1)
19. Alice Cooper (-1)
20. Kiss (-1)

Vinyl/Tapes Added
------------------------
Boz Scags- Silk Degrees
Eagles- Hotel California
Peter Frampton- Frampton Comes Alive
Alice Cooper- Killer
Ramones- Self Titled
Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run

REO Speedwagon- This one was kind of a mystery to me, since before putting up this compliation, I couldn't remember a song before before 1978, with I guess the exception of Riding the Storm Out. This band didn't really make it big until the early '80's. But by that time, their style was more pop influenced than rock

Catfish

Reaction score
February 1978
----------------------
1. Boston (No charge)
2. Rush (+1)
3. Led Zeppelin (-1)
4. Aerosmith (No change)
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer (+1)
6. Ted Nugent (-1)
7. Foghat (+1)
8. Bruce Springsteen (New)
9. Eagles (-2)
10. Moody Blues (-1)
11. Fleetwood Mac (-1)
12. Queen (+3)
13. Boz Scaggs (New)
14. Peter Frampton (New)
15. ZZ Top (-4)
16. Steve Miller (-4)
17. Alice Cooper (+2)
18. Robin Trower (-5)
19. Nazareth (-2)
20. Kiss (No change)

Vinyl/Tapes added
-------------------------------
Boston- Self titled (replaced 3rd old copy -worn out)
Eagles- Greatest Hits
Steve Miller- Fly Like an Eagle

Bruce Springsteen- Mainstainthe late '70's, at a time that corresponded with his only good album. (IMO-don't shoot me) I absolutlely do not like springsteen, and view him as the most over-rated two bit Rolling Stoned pushed hyped act in history. I know there are sure to be fans out there, but I sure am not one of them.

Boz Scaggs-- Not a hard rocker, not a prog act, but a guy who made some catchy what might be considered soft rock tunes in that era. His act was filled with super solid session guys who gave a good technical base for listeners. Often a good choice for parking for mood music. If prodded, and are over 60, I am guessing he remember of few at the time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WPaton

Members online

No members online now.