Is Lulu (Lou Reed and Metallica) the worst album ever made?

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marianne Faithful is praised but thats why I hate Memory Remains more then anything off even St Anger.
Lyrically I see what you are getting at, I just prefer to look at it with a bit of comedy value. I am the table.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Marianne Faithful is praised but thats why I hate Memory Remains more then anything off even St Anger.
Lyrically I see what you are getting at, I just prefer to look at it with a bit of comedy value. I am the table.

No, I get the humor! :heheh: Just like to play devils advocate! :D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think had James done more vocals and Lou Reed maybe done some of his rambling in parts it may have worked better, James singing suited more to the music they were playing. Maybe Lou Reed should be the table and not Hetfield.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Fair enough. I think had James done more vocals and Lou Reed maybe done some of his rambling in parts it may have worked better, James singing suited more to the music they were playing. Maybe Lou Reed should be the table and not Hetfield.

I can see that! I'll have to say that I never "suffered" through the album as a whole like the others so I can't have a full say. the curiosity is driving me to buy it more than any Metallica album I don't own though. :heheh:

To be honest, I was going to never ramble about this album again until I saw "Worst Album Ever". :heheh: Come on! There's a difference between disappointing and outright bad! I mean if what I hear about that album of ffedback from Lou Reed it shouldn't even be his worst album! :tongue:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah but I guess a lot of people who call this the worst album keep seeing it as a Metallica album. Not all do but a lot do.
I see this as Lou Reeds worst album because I think it genuinely do not think Lou did near what he was capable of on it. I think the simplicity was to the extreme, I respect the idea of it being based on 2 plays which is a good thing but I think he either should have got another band to do this or let Metallica actually have a bit more musical freedom.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Ah, the feedback album...Metal Machine Music.

Let me tell you something...When I first heard Lulu, and this is not a joke, I put on Metal Machine Music to get the bad taste of Lulu out of my mouth.

MMM is at least...interesting...

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Worst album ever? No, St Anger is 100 times worse.Not believing this are you? Fair play neither do I lol
But there have been worse albums for sure.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Yeah but I guess a lot of people who call this the worst album keep seeing it as a Metallica album. Not all do but a lot do.
I see this as Lou Reeds worst album because I think it genuinely do not think Lou did near what he was capable of on it. I think the simplicity was to the extreme, I respect the idea of it being based on 2 plays which is a good thing but I think he either should have got another band to do this or let Metallica actually have a bit more musical freedom.

Yeah, I think what it comes down to is a flawed experiment. I guess coming from a guy who likes to collect B-sides of his favorite artist and see how many different directions they go in (some work, some don't) I'm always going to be cool with these type of things. As far as Metallica goes I think they loved and played through their heaviest days with no regret but once they shaved their locks and created Load they were pretty much telling their audience it's time to put that to rest and put the devil horns down. Since then they tried the orchestra, alternative music, the St. Anger debacle and so forth but nothing except maybe Death magnetic was a retread. I guess they just didn't want the band to be looked back on as the band who was being a Metallica cover band with each album. Who knows though! :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Death Magnetic was an attempt to kinda go back to their thrash metal sound, not necessarily to go back to the past but to erase memory of St Anger lol
Load and Reload which are basically the same thing have a little more going for them, with a bluesy oriented sound, mixed with some good heavy metal. A lot of filler on each cd but it has some good songs.