Is Lulu (Lou Reed and Metallica) the worst album ever made?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have no desire to listen to the rest of this album after playing the video in the OP...:nw:

I was never a Lou Reed fan anyway, I only like one of his songs "Walk on the Wild Side".

I wasn't really hoping for much when I heard about this collaboration, they are such disparate artists you are either going to end up with something amazing and good, or in this case something you can put in the compost heap.:grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what Lou Reed really should have done was just not speak the lyrics, which is what it sounded like, should have done what he did on some of his older albums, regarding the actual music, Metallica should have been allowed the freedom of musical progression to some extent, it would have really utilised their talent better in my opinion.

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Well, in a word, yes. At least of all the albums that I've actually listened to from start to finish.

It's just about bad enough to make Motley Crue sound like Mozart.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
You know, if you take out allllllll the vocals, it would probably be a pretty badass movie soundtrack. Lou sounds like he's recording the album from an old folks home where he's sitting in a chair pointed at a wall in a near comatose state. There's zero emotion, zero attitude, zero inflection, it's completely deadpan. Maybe the "autotune the news" guys could turn it into actual singing. I'm a guy who praises the singing of Bob Dylan, Varg Vikernes, and even for me Lou's vocals here are unforgivable.

I have to agree with this. It's what really bugs me about the whole thing as well as the repetitivness. Having said that, NO I do not think it's the worst album of all time. There are plenty of albums worse than this.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I think what Lou Reed really should have done was just not speak the lyrics, which is what it sounded like, should have done what he did on some of his older albums, regarding the actual music, Metallica should have been allowed the freedom of musical progression to some extent, it would have really utilised their talent better in my opinion.
I have no problem with a band trying something new. Metallica has evolved a couple of times since inception and I like a lot of it. I just can't figure out who came up with this idea, and how after sitting in and playing together, none of them said "hmm, this might not be the best idea, but hey, we had fun trying".

then add to it, they recorded it and still didn't say "hrmm, not the best idea we've ever had".

THEN... they printed it and released it and STILL didn't think for one single moment "are you sure we should be doing this"?

LULU makes St Anger sound good. yeah, it really does. :zzz:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
St Anger is still a worse album for mine.
Metallica have the excuse of this being a side project, but St Anger was an official studio album. St Anger is still a worse pile of dog shit then Lulu.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I have no problem with a band trying something new. Metallica has evolved a couple of times since inception and I like a lot of it. I just can't figure out who came up with this idea, and how after sitting in and playing together, none of them said "hmm, this might not be the best idea, but hey, we had fun trying".

then add to it, they recorded it and still didn't say "hrmm, not the best idea we've ever had".

THEN... they printed it and released it and STILL didn't think for one single moment "are you sure we should be doing this"?

LULU makes St Anger sound good. yeah, it really does. :zzz:

:heheh: The bolded section there made me laugh dude....

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I still think the Junior Dad album track off Lulu was pretty cool. Worst album ever? Wow! :heheh: Most exaggeratedly bad album ever more like it. :tongue: I think Metallica has more balls and authenticity as an artist than anything doing these random projects now that they have the status to do what they want. Metallica isn't retreading on their ideas because they wanted to do them. They have the cash now and they have the freedom to create what they want whether it hits or flops. They likely were huge Lou fans and he was a presence they wanted to work with and the style contrast probably was what excited them most. As far as him just talking anything I've heard from Reed wasn't very versatile in the vocal department. He was just one of those guys you seem to know because of his voice and for personifying a specific type of cool. If the album was picked up from literature to make a concept album than the spoken word makes perfect sense. Lou's voice has that aged wisdom that Cash had in his later years and to me it's no different than that cool addition of Marianne Faithful to "The Memory Remains"!

As far as the seemingly ridiculous lyrics has anyone ever gathered the curiosity to find out what the plays are to actually get a better perspective on them? If someone never heard Shakespeare and they heard a band use his texts for a concept album it'd come off silly as well. Doesn't mean it was a bad idea. Just means that people tend to take music at face value. That's just my take anyway. Get your knives back out, I'm done! :heheh: