What is the Greatest Rock Song of All Time?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The greatest rock song of all time would be the song someone listens to the most. But I don’t think that’s what you want. ;)

It’s a tie between Deep Purple ~ Smoke on the Water and Led Zeppelin ~ Stairway to Heaven

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
The main big hitters are always in the top ten... 51st Anniversary by Jimi is deffo on my list..... as is Wishing Well by Free.
Interesting choices.....neither are particularly special imho....I would go for Purple Haze or Fire and Allright Now or Fire and Water. Also interesting how people 'hear' songs so differently.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
The greatest rock song of all time would be the song someone listens to the most. But I don’t think that’s what you want. ;)

It’s a tie between Deep Purple ~ Smoke on the Water and Led Zeppelin ~ Stairway to Heaven
Yes....should it be judged on popularity or how well written it is....or both?
And even then there are so many to choose from......when I first saw this thread 2 songs immediately popped into my head.....
(I cant get no) 'Satisfaction' and 'Stairway To Heaven', and then many others followed............ like Smoke On The Water, (Dont fear ) The Reaper, Purple Haze, Won't Get Fooled Again, Like A Rolling Strone, Gimme' Shelter, Light My Fire, ...the list is endless.
:geetar:

BlitzTD

Reaction score
Yes....should it be judged on popularity or how well written it is....or both?
And even then there are so many to choose from......when I first saw this thread 2 songs immediately popped into my head.....
(I cant get no) 'Satisfaction' and 'Stairway To Heaven', and then many others followed............ like Smoke On The Water, (Dont fear ) The Reaper, Purple Haze, Won't Get Fooled Again, Like A Rolling Strone, Gimme' Shelter, Light My Fire, ...the list is endless.
:geetar:
I made the question up for interpretation

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
The Show Must Go On by Queen.

One of the most solemn, poignant and grandiose songs in the history of music at all, IMO.

Delilah

Rock N Roll Princess 8-]]
Reaction score
This is tough, I have so many favorite rock songs!! But, I really love "Purple Haze" By Jimi Hendrix--I consider it my most favorite rock song of all time!! :guitar:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I made the question up for interpretation
Interpretation of what exactly....?

BTW just for the info I looked at the current 500 greatest songs by Rolling Stone....I understand many people dont think that highly of their lists ( for their own reasons) plus many on the list are not 'rock songs' in the classic sense....many are pop, r&b, rap , hip hop etc.
'Purple Haze' was 250, 'Stairway' was 61 and 'Satisfaction' was 31.....just a few examples.
In 2004 the same list had 'Satisfaction' at 2. 'Respect' by Aretha Franklin was 1 on both lists .

Just for discussion sake .....is 'Respect' a rock song? What is and isn't rock? And btw the same can apply to the Rock and Roll Hall which inducts many bands/artists that musicians and critics dont consider true rock bands .

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilgrim

Members online