What is the Greatest Rock Song of All Time?

BlitzTD

Reaction score
Interpretation of what exactly....?

BTW just for the info I looked at the current 500 greatest songs by Rolling Stone....I understand many people dont think that highly of their lists ( for their own reasons) plus many on the list are not 'rock songs' in the classic sense....many are pop, r&b, rap , hip hop etc.
'Purple Haze' was 250, 'Stairway' was 61 and 'Satisfaction' was 31.....just a few examples.
In 2004 the same list had 'Satisfaction' at 2. 'Respect' by Aretha Franklin was 1 on both lists .

Just for discussion sake .....is 'Respect' a rock song? What is and isn't rock? And btw the same can apply to the Rock and Roll Hall which inducts many bands/artists that musicians and critics dont consider true rock bands .
Whether or not a song is considered rock is up to you but I will say that “Respect” is definitely not a rock song.

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Whole Lotta Love~ Zeppelin.. Not many rock fans will give this a thumbs down..

Foxy Lady~ Hendrix.. Come on.. This one is always a fun one

Born To Be Wild~ Steppenwolf.. Car commercial brought it back to life and killed it with overplay.. Get your motor running..:headbang

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Whether or not a song is considered rock is up to you but I will say that “Respect” is definitely not a rock song.
You asked the opening thread question so what is your choice for best rock song of all time...?
:rolleyes:

Pilgrim

Dogs
Reaction score
Interpretation of what exactly....?

BTW just for the info I looked at the current 500 greatest songs by Rolling Stone....I understand many people dont think that highly of their lists ( for their own reasons) plus many on the list are not 'rock songs' in the classic sense....many are pop, r&b, rap , hip hop etc.
'Purple Haze' was 250, 'Stairway' was 61 and 'Satisfaction' was 31.....just a few examples.
In 2004 the same list had 'Satisfaction' at 2. 'Respect' by Aretha Franklin was 1 on both lists .

Just for discussion sake .....is 'Respect' a rock song? What is and isn't rock? And btw the same can apply to the Rock and Roll Hall which inducts many bands/artists that musicians and critics dont consider true rock bands .
That's a very valid statement. Aretha Franklin was called the "Queen of Soul." Is Soul also Rock? Maybe Jann Wenner should have called it the Music Hall of Fame, but then we would be left including Opera and Country, and many other genres that are definitely not rock. Country already has their own Hall of Fame, do they induct real rockers? Are there already Country singers in the RRHOF? I've seen Keith Urban really rock out with John Mayer. It's not really clear what classic rock is to some magazines or the RRHOF, yet you have to wonder if it's plausible to have a Hall of Fame for every genre. I personally think the whole things is very subjective, and Jann Wenner has handled it that way for years. There are classic rock bands that waited years for "Mr. Weiner" to allow them to be inducted. I think Jann Wenner has cheapened the importance of the RRHOF. That's just how I feel.
I also think the best rock song of all time is American Pie by Don McLean, but even that is subjective.

Last edited:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
That's a very valid statement. Aretha Franklin was called the "Queen of Soul." Is Soul also Rock? Maybe Jann Wenner should have called it the Music Hall of Fame, but then we would be left including Opera and Country, and many other genres that are definitely not rock. Country already has their own Hall of Fame, do they induct real rockers? Are there already Country singers in the RRHOF? I've seen Keith Urban really rock out with John Mayer. It's not really clear what classic rock is to some magazines or the RRHOF, yet you have to wonder if it's plausible to have a Hall of Fame for every genre. I personally think the whole things is very subjective, and Jann Wenner has handled it that way for years. There are classic rock bands that waited years for "Mr. Weiner" to allow them to be inducted. I think Jann Wenner has cheapened the importance of the RRHOF. That's just how I feel.
I also think the best rock song of all time is American Pie by Don McLean, but even that is subjective.
I agree for the most part;.....I don't think 'Respect' is rock and roll ,but it's a great song.
'American Pie' is also a great song just not the best 'rock song'. (BTW...most list it and McLean as folk rock...which itself covers a big area.)
I also think Wenner made the RRHF his own little pet project and in the end not a true rock hall of fame.
Interestingly he made some derogatory comments about some women and some black musicians not that long ago in an interview about why they were not included in his book of interviews on great artists and musicians from his days with Rolling Stone magazine. He said they 'were not as articulate' as the famous male musicians in his opinion. Not very inclusive for a man who came out as gay not that long ago. :oops:
BTW...there is a Country Music Hall of Fame , a Rhythm & BLues Hall of Fame , a Soul Hall of Fame....and a Classical Music Hall of Fame, and a National Jazz Hall of Fame....they all have places and members ,etc,.....so why are there soul, r&b , rap, (and even jazz people named as ''early influencers' ) in the RRHF? :think:

Pilgrim

Dogs
Reaction score
I agree for the most part;.....I don't think 'Respect' is rock and roll ,but it's a great song.
'American Pie' is also a great song just not the best 'rock song'. (BTW...most list it and McLean as folk rock...which itself covers a big area.)
I also think Wenner made the RRHF his own little pet project and in the end not a true rock hall of fame.
Interestingly he made some derogatory comments about some women and some black musicians not that long ago in an interview about why they were not included in his book of interviews on great artists and musicians from his days with Rolling Stone magazine. He said they 'were not as articulate' as the famous male musicians in his opinion. Not very inclusive for a man who came out as gay not that long ago. :oops:
BTW...there is a Country Music Hall of Fame , a Rhythm & BLues Hall of Fame , a Soul Hall of Fame....and a Classical Music Hall of Fame, and a National Jazz Hall of Fame....they all have places and members ,etc,.....so why are there soul, r&b , rap, (and even jazz people named as ''early influencers' ) in the RRHF? :think:
There is not one thing I like about Jann Wenner. I think he is a control freak with too much money, and not enough knowledge about music. I don’t understand when people are upset because somebody they like has not been inducted. Jann Wenner ruined the whole reason for being in there. I don't even keep track of who is or isn't in there. It wouldn't make me change my mind about who I like and don't like. To me it's equal to wearing a fifty-cent badge. :rolleyes:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Wenner was removed from the RRHOF in late 2023.....maybe things will change over time.
But half of the inductees for 2024 aren't rock and roll but I suppose it could change but I sincerely doubt it.
Blige, Cher, Dave Matthews Band, Foreigner, Peter Frampton, Kool & The Gang, Ozzy Osbourne, and A Tribe Called Quest are being inducted under the Performer Category, which honors "artists who have created music whose originality, impact, and influence has changed the course of rock & roll," according to a release,
I think it's pretty clear 3 or 4 of these artists are not truly rock and roll....but then if you look at the list of those already in imho at least a quarter are open to question. You are going to induct Cher and Abba and Lionel Ritchie are in already so why not Barry Manilow? :think:

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yasir

Members online