What Are You Listening to? (Videos only)

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Thanks Pilgrim.... these from St. Helens ended up a Christian band in some form-bass is heavenly(had this since '74)
Gravy Train - Starbright Starlight.
Gravy Train were a nice early proggy bues rock band.....have two on vinyl and 2 on cd. I really like 'Ballad' and 'Staircase'.

Never got the "christian rock'' thing since that seems to be a contradiction in terms to me....
all the 'Christians' I know in my group of friends do not listen to rock. :uh:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Gravy Train were a nice early proggy bues rock band.....have two on vinyl and 2 on cd. I really like 'Ballad' and 'Staircase'.

Never got the "christian rock'' thing since that seems to be a contradiction in terms to me....
Indeed.... the direction Gravy Train took after 1976 was after splitting up, lyrical content that was associated with religion and God.There are some major songs out there in various genres that are attributed to prayer/worship or some kind of religion. God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols I rate....... if not just for it's title!!!

Pilgrim

Dogs
Reaction score

That's really interesting. I am what people call a Born again Christian, and I cut my teeth on music like this. Call it Southern Christian Rock if you like. But Steven Curtis Chapman is the most awarded Christian singer in history. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :steering:
Lord Of The Dance - Steven Curtis Chapman (Recorded at Abbey Road Stuido)

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Dogs
Reaction score
Thanks Pilgrim.... these from St. Helens ended up a Christian band in some form-bass is heavenly(had this since '74)
Gravy Train - Starbright Starlight.
I have to admit that I've never heard of them, so I researched them:
Norman Barratt had become a born again Christian at the end of 1969. . .]
"The rest of the band were tolerant and sympathetic of my position," Barratt commented, "and the Record Companies never tried to dissuade me. The Christian experience influenced all of my lyrics for Gravy Train. Not overtly, but certainly they were written from a Christian perspective. . .]
:thanks:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
That's really interesting. I am what people call a Born again Christian, and I cut my teeth on music like this. Call it Southern Christian Rock if you like. But Steven Curtis Chapman is the most awarded Christian singer in history. Now back to our regularly scheduled program. :steering:
Lord Of The Dance - Steven Curtis Chapman (Recorded at Abbey Road Stuido)
A born again southern Christian rocker from Chicago originally...now thats really interesting to me. ;)
I'm agnostic for over 50 years so I dont hang with people who are born again or otherwise and my friends who are Catholic aren't big music fans anyway and no one else I know leans that way. We have a large fundamantalist Baptist church/school group in the area and those I have met don't listen to most rock. Several used to work for me in my office in the old days and they did not listen to anything but religious music/easy listening stuff. They think that music like rock is from satan.:uh:
I thought that track from Chapman was well done but not my thing. I dont really listen to any 'country' other than some classic rock stuff that has country influences like Neil Young or Allman Bros Band, etc.There are a few 'outliers' I listen to like Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Alison Krauss ...but I dont think they have any Christian imagery per se.
I used to listen to Spocks Beard (Neil Morse)...prog rock... then Neil Morse left to do 'Christian prog rock'...with his band and it was just not the same vibe for me. I like Kings X...prog metal....but their lyrics are not overtly 'christian' so it doesnt ruin the music for me. Other than that I dont know much about 'Christian rock'.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I have to admit that I've never heard of them, so I researched them:
Norman Barratt had become a born again Christian at the end of 1969. . .]
"The rest of the band were tolerant and sympathetic of my position," Barratt commented, "and the Record Companies never tried to dissuade me. The Christian experience influenced all of my lyrics for Gravy Train. Not overtly, but certainly they were written from a Christian perspective. . .]
:thanks:
None of their songs from their 4 lps have any 'Christian' imagery to me so he obviously buried it in the songs. And I have listened to 2 of the lps quite a bit. :think:
Always liked this from the first....like early Jethro Tull.
Gravy Train -The New One

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online