Top 50 Classic Heavy Metal Albums

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Doc Wu's right. List is subjective. I guess most on the list has at least some level of claim of being "early-metal". Def Leopard is the one I would say has the least in that category. To me they are much more in the Glam/AOR genre .

Don't get me wrong... Love the band, but pigeon holing them there seems a slight stretch.
I agree ,,,,,,,,,this is a list of 'heavy metal' bands from WIKI.....different than the 50 lp list from UCR.
If one goes thru the list there are many bands imho that arent heavy metal by basic criteria.
Granted WIKI often gets things wrong but some of the choices are ridiculous.

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
As a life-time lover of metal music, I can tell you most of these aren't even making the criteria like Wu says.

It just comes to show what these writers know about actual heavy metal music lol. You can't even find over half the bands I'd put on there, because these dolts don't even know they exist or care.

Dozens of NWOBHM, hundreds of thrash bands, thousands of actual METAL bands that influenced the genre and actually sound the part could be on this list... But it's a joke written by someone that has 0 clue.

For a credible list, you're better off scouring media that devotes itself to heavy metal, especially old school... People that know what they're talking about.

This list just makes my brain hurt... :bonk:

Last edited:

Saiyan Rocker

The Legendary Super Rocker
Reaction score
I know what you mean.

I remember right after Prince died, a "writer" wrote this as a headline:

"Purple Haze: Prince is dead"

Purple Haze is Jimi Hendrix
tenor.gif

I was offended as a music listener, Jimi Hendrix fan, and a Prince fan.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
@Mr Mojo Risin

Getting into heavy metal is not an easy task. Since everyone’s opinion and listening tastes are so different, it’s very hard to recommend a band or album for someone to begin into heavy metal. I would never have @dr wu start with anything Thrash or extreme..lol

I can remember not liking anything that resembled a “growl”. But as time went on, and I kept digging into metal music, I discovered I love the “beauty and the beast” vocals like Kamelot, Therion, Lacuna Coil, Arch Enemy, and even Nightwish has used these vocals with Floor & Marco.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I forgot Nightwish and Within Temptation. Symphonic Metal.
I would say symphonic metal is my absolute favorite genre of metal. Next would be progressive metal, but even a lot of those bands can be pretty extreme.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
@Mr Mojo Risin

Getting into heavy metal is not an easy task. Since everyone’s opinion and listening tastes are so different, it’s very hard to recommend a band or album for someone to begin into heavy metal. I would never have @dr wu start with anything Thrash or extreme..lol

I can remember not liking anything that resembled a “growl”. But as time went on, and I kept digging into metal music, I discovered I love the “beauty and the beast” vocals like Kamelot, Therion, Lacuna Coil, Arch Enemy, and even Nightwish has used these vocals with Floor & Marco.
For me this thread was not about 'getting into' metal but about how some of it is classified differently and in some cases wrong imho. I see a lot iof disagreement from fans and critics as to what is or isn't metal regardless of the metal category.
I actually like some bands that are placed in metal groups. I like Sabbath ,Rush, Dream Theater, Opeth, Iron Maiden,,,,and have lps by those..... and I like some Ayreon, Symphony X, Tool, Fates Warning, Therion, etc.
If it has elements of melody and hard rock with decent lyrics that arent just silly crap I'll probably give it a listen.

TACdtf

Reaction score
I noticed no one ever commented on this thread so I looked up that link. Its amazing what poeople call heavy metal....there are at least 6 or 7 bands on that list that are not 'heavy metal' to me but again its subjective.
The Sabbath vol 4 review by Catfish and Magic's post started me thinkling about this area and how a lot of people like 'hard rock or heavy rock' bands but not 'metal bands'.
It seems to be the 50 Albums That Defined The Evolution Of Metal is more like it. Strange that Germany/Europe (not including England) only has one album, Balls To The Wall, listed.

@dr wu
I asked LG where to begin, and don’t send me to something that’s going to set my ears on fire. He picked Helloween Pink Bubbles Go Ape. Why he picked that album, I am not sure, but it is a nice slow introduction into heavy metal without being aggressive.
That's a really interesting pick. The album has actually aged pretty well. I remember when it came out, it was such a huge shift for them.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
It seems to be the 50 Albums That Defined The Evolution Of Metal is more like it. Strange that Germany/Europe (not including England) only has one album, Balls To The Wall, listed.
I thought Scorpions were from Germany originally...? I don't think I have ever heard Balls To The Wall by Accept...or any of their lps. :uh:
My interest was talking about how bands get called 'metal' when they arent really....imho ...but it is subjective. I don't consider Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, or BOC 'metal' bands though there are elements of that in all of them on various songs/lps. As I mentioned in this thread some of the bands that are listed as 'metal' in places is ridiculous imho. :think:

TACdtf

Reaction score
I thought Scorpions were from Germany originally...? I don't think I have ever heard Balls To The Wall by Accept...or any of their lps. :uh:
My interest was talking about how bands get called 'metal' when they arent really....imho ...but it is subjective. I don't consider Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, or BOC 'metal' bands though there are elements of that in all of them on various songs/lps. As I mentioned in this thread some of the bands that are listed as 'metal' in places is ridiculous imho. :think:
Scorps, d'uh! I'm stupid sometimes lol

Yeah, I don't consider those 70's bands metal either, but they were "heavier" than rock.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online

No members online now.