Review Tool- Undertow (1993) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Tool- Undertow (1993) *** 1/2

Today's installment is quite a remarkable band that is a leader of their rather narrowed but splintered genre. Describing Tool is variable mix of Alternative, Prog, and Metal. These aren't pikers as their music has a massive amount of complexity, and difficulty. Their use head spinning time/key changes and phrasing is not really an easy listen, but you can't help admire their massive talent. Think Metallica meets Pearl Jam meets Dream Theatre. They also have that Rush-ish ability to have that full orchestrative sound with just 3 instruments. Lyrically, they aren't quite as dark as Reznor, but I will grant that there is a lot of stuff that are amazing just for dark poetic value alone. Some with subtlety, others like a kick in the gut. And all three plus vocalist Maynard Keenan are all top tier on their contributions.

Additionally, the making of a Tool CD must be an arduous process. This fine band has only made 5 studio albums in 30 years. And one point I think is important to bring up about Tool, is that there is what I call radical experimentation from album to album is kept to a minimum. Tool knows what makes them great, and they refuse to cheapen the product and disappoint their fans. Keenan's semi minstrel like vocal are complex and intricate organized rambling that should be patented. When you hear a Tool song, there is no doubt who makes it.

Picking one to review was pretty tough, as all five are in 3 star territory. And my only giving them 3 is not exactly an estimate of their worth. Just my taste. They are incredibly talented, but not a comfortable listen. Maybe I am a contrarian by choosing their first one- Undertow. Excellent album, and the only one of their 5 that didn't chart No. 1 or 2. To me, it does seems to be the most representative, and possibly their darkest. Did they take a fashionable cue from NIN? I don't think so, but like any other musical genre including Grunge, 2nd generation bands like and seem to want to push the envelope. Tool sounded nothing like Nirvanna or Pearl Jam. Neither had the chops of these guys. Special recognition to Drummer Danny Carrey too. There is a good reason that Carey is often mentioned as a possible drummer replacement in case Alex Lifeson/Geddy Lee decide to reunite for music/tour. Carey has amazing tight technique, and only one of a handful who could replicate Peart's stuff.

Fun Fact: Henry Rollins did a cameo for backup singing on one song on this album. (Bottom)

Track No.
--------------

1. Intolerance- Tool starts their career with. heavily off tempoed synced effort, that with obvious grunge like sound is nothing like what had come out of Seattle at the time. Crazy FX add to the chaotic magic- 3

2. Prison Sex- Comes off a little like a mainstream grunge effort, but one of the best on the LP. Has unique phrasic metering that with intense subject matter, sure seems to have that emotional bond. Not sure where Keenan got his POV, with this effort but it comes across as sincere. 4

3. Sober- Love the bass line on this number. So very simple and repetitive, but fills and fits the melodic line like a glove. And I can't resist repeating that Keenan's lyrics are pure poetry. Adding his feel of anger in them just is like icing on the cake. 1

4. Bottom- In somewhat a change of pace, Tool does one that comes decently close to mainstream. First in the lot that Keenan does a Jim Morrison like narrative mid song in a macrabe mood Solidly consistent album. 6

5. Crawl Away- Heavy Pearl Jam sounding, not bad but one of the weakest on this LP. 10

6. Swamp Song- Sinister and depressing account that again sounds too realistic Best metal effort from that respective. 7

7. Undertow- Title track that sure has a strong technical base, but meanders off into tangents. Would be a good song for other bands. This one tries too hard but misses the mark, just a tad. Still rank it high in instrumentation value 5

8. 4- Albums seems to be ebbing slightly at the end- Lower tier, but not bad. 9

9. Flood- Foray into mostly deep and low FX excellent off-keying that gives a horror film vibe. Most of the song is instrumental, and it is the most interesting part of the song 8

10. Disgustipated- Album sleeper. First.... I almost forgot to mention that a good chunk of the album has religious overtones. This culminates into one of the strangest, scary, and bizarre songs I have heard. In kind of the same vein of The Door's "The End" or the end of the Guess Who's Hang On to your life, but with more narrative points and with NIN kind of FX. Adding to this 15 minute of this non-music strange journey are several minutes of cricket sounds. Ending in a spine chilling voice of stuff of the ultra' in the extreme. And of course, more poetic value than musical, but like Reznor, Keenan had a warpness that is hard to top. 2

-

Last edited:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Very good lp...and a good review.
A small correction ...the drummer is Danny Carey.
Recently Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Tony Levin , and Danny Carey have embarked on a tour (with Fripp's blessing ) to do a tour of the 'Discipline era' music of King Crimson. Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair will be the featured music though I wouldnt be surprised if other things are played.
Tool cited KC as an influence and even toured with them in 2001 and Carey played drums on stage with KC.
Belew, Vai, levin, Carey a few days ago.......

Last edited:

Catfish

Reaction score
Very good lp...and a good review.
A small correction ...the drummer is Danny Carey.
Recently Adrian Belew, Steve Vai, Tony Levin , and Danny Carey have embarked on a tour (with Fripp's blessing ) to do a tour of the 'Discipline era' music of King Crimson. Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair will be the featured music though I wouldnt be surprised if other things are played.
Tool cited KC as an influence and even toured with them in 2001 and Carey played drums on stage with KC.
Belew, Vai, levin, Carey a few days ago.......
I used Drew Carey? :lmao:

Next on the Price is Right, is a second cup of coffee!!!!! Catfish....... Come on down!!!!!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Staff online

Members online