Pop/Rock Biographies

magicmoments

Reaction score
I couldn't really see a place for waffling on about biographies of Rock Stars. I've always loved biographies, often of artistic people. There is a lot of sludge amongst the "pop" biographies, with sleaze, sex and pure sensationalism taking up much of the text. But you can find some good stuff on those like Frank Zappa who had much to say and often said it well. But even books on the Marc Bolan''s of our world can provide some entertaining stories and information.

I tend to like the early days of the various artists and groups. I've read a few on the Rolling Stones and the pre first single release days are very interesting, capturing the times of the early sixties, particularly in London in the music scene. Those early days of the Stones makes me think of a quote from Keith Richards, who has said:-

They come up to me in the street and say 'How do we get to be really big and earn lots of money? What do you have to do to make a good group?' and I say 'Well, look, why don't you try starving?'

Sometimes amid the usual stories something surprising pops up, like in a biography of Chatlie Watts which contained this about his wife Shirley:-

Shirley became owner, breeder and an expert in husbandry of her beloved Halsdon Arabian horses, named for the stud farm where they resided. Under the stewardship of Shirley and her team they grew from a small number of riding horses to the ‘universally esteemed breeding powerhouse of over 250’, as the Tom Arabians website described it.
She never granted interviews as a rock wife, but Shirley spoke in huge detail to the site about her daily life in the stables of Halsdon. She said of her philosophy: ‘It is not rocket science, it is simply paying attention to the needs of each horse, both physiologically and psychologically. This understanding involves awareness, which can only be achieved through daily contact with the horses and intimate appreciation for the unique nature of each horse.’
She also discussed what she enjoyed most about her noble Arabians, and her answer was revealing about the peace that she and her husband had found far from the madding music industry. ‘Just being among them,’ she said. ‘I love to feel the heat of their bodies, to listen to the rhythmic cadence of their breathing, to relish in the quiet satisfaction of belonging.
‘Horses always give you the intention of what they feel towards you. I so enjoy this interaction, as each horse has its own unique personality and approach towards human interaction. To find that acceptance with horses is the most satisfying. They make us feel like we belong.
‘The Arabian horse has taught me so very much in life, humility most of all,’ she concluded. ‘One experiences the entire spectrum of emotions in a life with horses, from great joy and overwhelming exhilaration to deep sorrow and tragic loss. I feel more alive to have experienced life alongside the horse. There is so much pleasure to be had each day. It is the great circle of life. It is a bond unlike any other.’

Anyway, maybe I have waffled enough. But to ask again, anyone else like biographies. Any recomendations?

TageRyche

Reaction score
I've tried to read biographies of musicians and sports figures over the years but I generally get bored. My reading mind is more fixed towards fiction, particularly mysteries and thrillers.

That said, I do want to someday read the Warren Zevon biography.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Staff online

Members online