My Top 20 Lists that I compiled as a kid 1973-1990

Catfish

Reaction score
First, let me say that I have been so impressed with the level of knowledge of the member base here, and there is so much thoughtful discussion, it will take weeks for me to get my bearings. I hope that I can at least add a little to the excellence that this forum has provided.

As far as what influenced me in those very early days, I'd have to say 2 Parts of Beaker Street (KAAY in Little Rock), which was an AM station that during late late night, would play tunes, that you could not hear anywhere else on radio. At least, not in my parts. Second, I always made it a point during that era of picking up a copy of Circus Magazine, to get the latest, and who might be coming out with a new album

Second, I don't know how the forum feels about Vanity Threads, but I thought that there may be at least a litte interest in me providing a thread of my monthly thoughts of who my favorite bands were at the time. Those notebooks not only list the 20, but it documents what LP's/8-tracks/Cassetes that I bought each month. It also is where I stapled on all the concert tickets I attended during those years. I also will provide a little detail of what I remember during those concerts too. So, here we go.......

July 1973
=======
1. Alice Cooper Band
2. Uriah Heep
3. Black Sabbath
4. Three Dog Night
5. Grand Funk Railroad
6. Chicago
7. Led Zeppelin
8. Black Oak Arkansas
9. Deep Purple
10. The Guess Who
11. Rare Earth
12. Allman Brothers Band
13. Rolling Stones
14. Yes
15. Eric Clapton
16. The Who
17. Jethro Tull
18. J. Geils Band
19. Elton John
20. Edgar Winter Group
-------------------------------
Albums bought:
Uriah Heep- Live
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
================================

The Live ABC "In Concert" event really blew me away with that era of Alice Cooper. For those into history, You Tube- "Elected" for one of what I consider one of the earliest Music Videos of that format. Not that I disliked the "hippy formula" that worked in rock for more than 5 years butt....... Hearing acts like Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath seemed ground breaking and refreshing at the time.

Catfish

Reaction score
Note: After April 1974, I start doing these monthly

December 1973-April 1974 List
----------------------------------------
1. Alice Cooper (no change)
2. Black Sabbath (no change)
3. Led Zeppelin (+4)
4. Uriah Heep (-2)
5. Three Dog Night (-1)
6. The Guess Who (+4)
7. Chicago (-1)
8. Grand Funk (-3)
9. Black Oak Arkansas (-1)
10. Deep Purple- (-1)
11. Rare Earth- (No Change)
12. Elton John (+7)
13. Steve Miller Band (New)
14. Jethro Tull (+3)
15. Edgar Winter Group (+5)
16. J. Geils Band (+2)
17. Yes (-3)
18. Rolling Stones (-5)
19. The Who (-3)
20. Eric Clapton (-5)

Zeppelin up due to airplay of Houses of the Holy, Steve Miller Band- The Joker

Albums, 8-Tracks, and Cassettes bought those months-

Alice Cooper- Killer
Three Dog Night-Cyan
Alice Cooper - Love it to Death
Chicago- III
Black Oak- Self Titled
Creedence Clearwater Revival- Cosmos Factory
Black Sabbath- Volume IV
The Guess Who- Best Of.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Impressive how you have documented your music likes and interests over your life.

I don’t mean to interrupt your thread, but I just thought I would let you know I am impressed and I will be comparing my favorites from that time period (in my head). 1973 I was 13, still too young for music to have much impact on my life but that was about the age I started paying attention to music.

Catfish

Reaction score
Impressive how you have documented your music likes and interests over your life.

I don’t mean to interrupt your thread, but I just thought I would let you know I am impressed and I will be comparing my favorites from that time period (in my head). 1973 I was 13, still too young for music to have much impact on my life but that was about the age I started paying attention to music.
Thank you so much for the kind words....

And ...No, please take part in the thread That is half the fun of reminiscing about our youth. And it might give a chance for some to hear of a band that they may have missed in the day. As I progress with these, there are some obscure ones that chart. For point of reference in 1973, I was 16.

Last edited:

Catfish

Reaction score
May 1974 List
---------------------
1. Alice Cooper (No change)
2. Black Sabbath (No change)
3. Led Zeppelin (No change)
4. Deep Purple (+6)
5. The Guess Who (+1)
6. Uriah Heep (-2)
7. Grand Funk (+1)
8. Black Oak (+1)
9. Three Dog Night (-4)
10. Rare Earth (+1)
11. Chicago (-4)
12. Emerson Lake, and Palmer (New)
13. Rolling Stones (+5)
14. Elton John (-2)
15. Yes (+2)
16. The Who (+3)
17. Foghat (New)
18. J. Geils Band (-2)
19. T Rex(new)
20. The James Gang (New)

Listened to a friend's copy of Pictures of an Exhibition and was mesmerized by the talent of ELP. To this day, I consider them one of the 4 ultimate musician''s musican's group. For just pure musicianship that group from my POV includes ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Rush. This and the following few months was the time when we had to listen to Watergate pre-empting TV shows left and right. Music was a nice respite.

Albums/8-Tracks/Cassettes bought that month-
------------------------
Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
Rare Earth- One World
Alice Cooper - Muscle of Love..... Which was an awful disappointment considering the previous 4 albums. Garbage.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Interesting thread @Catfish. Such a cool idea dude. I would love to know what I was into in the 70's and when I bought what album. I'm interested to see how your tastes evolved.
Agree mostly with your pure musicianship assessment. If ELP had better lyrics, they'd also be up there for me. There are a couple of other artists that I'd add as well - Rory Gallagher, Dream Theater and Gary Moore come to mind :)

Catfish

Reaction score
Thanks Recorg...... Wasn't sure how a Vanity Thread would be recieved, especially since I am a new here. Totally agree with assessment of ELP. As talented as they are, their pinnacle of musicianship coincided with their most unlistenable album. Tarkus, is a masterpiece of composition, but awful as a listen.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Tarkus is unlistenable....4 stars on Prog Rock Archives btw....has not heard Works 1, 2, and Love Beach.
ELP debut is the one to have ....brilliant first lp ,and of course Brain Salad is a must for prog fans.
:)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the 4 ultimate musician''s musican's group. For just pure musicianship that group from my POV includes ELP, Pink Floyd, Yes, and Rush.

I agree. I would also add Little Feet as outstanding musicians. Even Elton John praises Bill Payne as the best pianist in music. Lowell George was a guitarist’s guitarist. Richard Hayward was the who’s who of drummers.

I remember first hearing ELP, Brain Salad Surgery, and was mesmerized by Keith Emerson.

IMG_1368.jpeg

Catfish

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks Tarkus is unlistenable....4 stars on Prog Rock Archives btw....has not heard Works 1, 2, and Love Beach.
ELP debut is the one to have ....brilliant first lp ,and of course Brain Salad is a must for prog fans.
:)
"Unlistenable" might not be what I exactly meant. I've done a Tarkus review, and I'll add a little later, to let you see where I am coming from.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Members online