Review Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies (1973) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Alice Cooper- Billion Dollar Babies (1973) ****

I have made the fact pretty well known that I felt that rock had gotten very formulaic, predictable, and overwrought with hippy, flowery, groovy bands. What the Beatles had created with Sgt. Peppers/Magical Mystery Tour had degraded into things like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Prunes, and other like tepid bands.

That is why I guy like me about 13-15 in the early '70's pretty much laughed off the worn out psychadelic stuff that was hitting up to this point. When Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper hit (near the same time) in 1970, it sounded like nothing else. It was hard, it was edgy, and best of all it is was the antithesis of flower power. Evil, and decadent blasting at 110 decibels was cool. We went from peace signs to the welcome theatrics of biting off the heads of bats and flying chickens. And theatrics it was. We all knew it. And it was a welcome blast of cool air.

Alice Cooper, who is the original shock rocker cannot be underestimated in impact. Without him, there would be no Kiss, Gwar, Nine Inch Nails, Slip Knot among others. His original band were good, but not outstanding musicans. But they did have the off tangented "hook" skills, and decent songwriting prowess. What really set Alice apart though was the theatrics. A show of his was a journey into the macbre. He effectively augmented his songs into skits and effects that used guillontones, snakes, gallows, and other wild elaborate effects. I first learned about AC on KAAY Beaker Street in about '71. Ballad of Dwight Frye was a big staple on their late night fare. I got my first acutal look at his show on the inaugural "In Concert" Series that ABC ran back in the day...... Suprisingly, a copy of that show is available on YT.

Was an easy decison choosing an AC album. Was released at the height of his popularity, and especially contains maybe his two best songs..... Choice has to be Billion Dollar Babies.... Honorable Mention Killer and School's Out.

Fun Fact: The AC band, may have never have happened without the happenstance interest of Frank Zappa, who added them as an early act in his stable.

Side 1-
---------

Hello Hooray- My favorite AC tune. There is a reason he used this one opening so so many of his shows...... Fine songwriting. Natural tune to set the tone. Final minute has a beautiful intertwined mellotron and chime included with a wide array of background blended guitar gives me shivers, a minute of beauty in an overall tour of decadence. 1

Raped and Freezin' - Think a song about rape could get played in 2024? Good song that has some fine guitar work. I remember reading long ago, that some of it was by session men since regulatory guitarist Glen Buxton, was mostly on a drug bender during recording. Song uses nice effect with horns and Mexican touches. Them of song is uh.... what can happen when the sexual tables are turned.- 5

Elected- Wow, this one rocks, basically paraodying our electoral processes. Hey McGovern was running.... why not. More great infusion of horns. This song may have generated maybe the first rock video of all time too. 2

Billion Dollar Babies- AC's foray into the mental. On stage he would rips dolls heads off in effigy. Song itself has some of the best instrumental work. 6

Unfinished Sweet- From POV, this is one of the band's strangest tunes of all. Song is basically a ditty on a dental visit. If you hate going to the dentist, you might want to skip. Band does a nice job of blending styles, even Spagetti Western flares. 7

Side 2-
-----------

No More Mr. Nice Guy- This was the biggest hit on the album Very sound representiave tune. Used strongly on stage presence to further the AC persona. Is this Alice Cooper or is this Vincent Furnier? I think this was a backhanded effort on his part to say sometimes in real life it is tough for folks to understand that this was an act. 4

Generation Landslide- AC's foray into describing a Dystopian future where genetic children rise and take hold of the future. Such a good tune too. I have to say that this album is one of the most even and consitently good albums in the early '70's. At least through these first 7. Then decline is dramatic. 3

Sick Things- The band now starts, and following 2 subsequent tracks starts delving into the darkness they like to portray in their stage act. This is the best of the 3. Very innovative use of tempo, chordal progression. 8

Mary Ann- If there was ever filler this in the one. Kind of a Scott Joplin like piano romper that alludes that Mary Ann is a Man and an object of affection. 10

I Love the Dead- Fizzling at the end sadly, Band used it as a theme of necrophilia, In 1973, when you are pushing the edge of shock for attention , I can see their intent. But almost 50 years later, it comes across downright silly. Little or no musical value either - 9

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Being female, Alice Cooper never interested me in the least until I was older, like in my 40’s. I was never into the macabre or theatrics that AC was known for at the time.

Of course, there was the over played “ Schools Out” that we loved as teens, and the anthemic “I’m Eighteen”, but Alice Cooper never appeared on my music radar until later in life.

Billion Dollar Babies is my favorite AC album with Welcome to My Nightmare, Killer and Hey Stoopid next in line.

Reactions: E-Z

TACdtf

Reaction score
I consider the Original Alice Cooper Band the most underrated American Classic Rock band going. They never get the attention they deserve IMO. Not a huge B$B guy. Killer and School's Out are so much more intense and are two of my favorite albums of all time. I'd probably rate B$B in the middle of Alice's discography.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
I consider the Original Alice Cooper Band the most underrated American Classic Rock band going. They never get the attention they deserve IMO. Not a huge B$B guy. Killer and School's Out are so much more intense and are two of my favorite albums of all time. I'd probably rate B$B in the middle of Alice's discography.
Yeah me too I liked 'the band' called Alice Cooper from 1969/70-1974 but when the rest of the band quit AC kept the name and basically carried went as a solo artist as Alice Cooper then I became less interested although the rest of his 1970s & 1980s albums are more or less ok to listen to. The album Billion Dollar Babies is the 'best' of the bunch from the whole band called Alice Cooper.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online