Your favorite songs from 1984?

Marshall

Reaction score
Hello all,

What would be some of your favorite songs from 1984? Rock song-wise, mine would include Bruce Springsteen's Dancing in the Dark and Cover Me, Van Halen's Jump, Queen's Hammer to Fall, U2's Pride (In the Name of Love), and so many more.

Here's a list of 100 songs from 1984 with trivia on some. Not all are classic rock, but give you an idea of what tracks were heard then:
100 Songs From 1984

Marshall

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Wow.....that was 40 years ago for me......all I can tell you is I was probably listening to prog. classic rock, some new wave/neo psych, and maybe some early grunge .
Ill take a look at your list above.
Non prog bands ....I recall being into Talk Talk, U2, Echo and the Bunnymen, REM, and XTC....one of my all time favorite bands.
from 1984 XTC
This World Over

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Well the four artists you mention did put out some really great albums in 1984. Some of those rank very high on my list for that year.
My list of 100 songs from 1984 would not include Chaka Khan or Kenny Loggins but I do appreciate efforts such as this.

For instance, from U2’s The Unforgettable Fire, I have long loved the song, “Bad”.
In 1984, I did also buy the 12” single of “Dancing In The Dark” which has a few different remix versions of the song in typical 80’s fashion but I think I prefer “Downbound Train” these days.

“ Hammer To Fall” is a great song off The Works. No argument there.
But “I‘ll Wait” is without a doubt my favorite Van Halen Michael McDonald collaboration from 1984.

Marshall

Reaction score
Wow.....that was 40 years ago for me......all I can tell you is I was probably listening to prog. classic rock, and maybe some early grunge .
Ill take a look at your list above.
Thanks Dr. Wu. I know it was a long time ago. I've bought several of these 1980's, including 1984, CD compilations lately. And, I'm listening to quite a bit of them recently. Since 1984 was a big year with Prince-Purple Rain, Bruce Springsteen's Born in the U.S.A., Van Halen's 1984, I thought it'd be a nice time to look back at the songs of that year.
Marshall

Marshall

Reaction score
Well the four artists you mention did put out some really great albums in 1984. Some of those rank very high on my list for that year.
My list of 100 songs from 1984 would not include Chaka Khan or Kenny Loggins but I do appreciate efforts such as this.

For instance, from U2’s The Unforgettable Fire, I have long loved the song, “Bad”.
In 1984, I did also buy the 12” single of “Dancing In The Dark” which has a few different remix versions of the song in typical 80’s fashion but I think I prefer “Downbound Train” these days.

“ Hammer To Fall” is a great song off The Works. No argument there.
But “I‘ll Wait” is without a doubt my favorite Van Halen Michael McDonald collaboration from 1984.
Thanks for the compliment BeatleMatt, and your favorite songs. Bad is an excellent song. Wasn't that the song at Live Aid where Bono added a line from the Stones' Ruby Tuesday and maybe another classic track to it? It was a great performance, either way. I'm a big Bruce and Beatles music fan, too. So, I like Downbound Train, also.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online