Women Singers in Celtic Folklore and Rock-Metal

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Celia Humphris from 'Trees' a lessor knowm Brit folk rock band..one of my favorites...simiar to Fairport.
fyi...They wrote the track The Garden of Jane Delawney that All about Eve covered in an earlier post by Nai.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Mary Black....sang on some lps by De Dannan but mostly solo.
Here's her doing Farewell Farewell which Richard Thompson wrote and of course Sandy Denny first recorded.

(Richard Thompson wrote Farewell, Farewell after the crash of Fairport Convention's van late at night on 12 May 1969 on the way back home from a gig which killed their drummer Martin Lamble and Richard's girlfriend Jeannie Franklyn (Jeannie the Tailor.)

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
Richard Thompson was a genius of the folk rock music scene. My father really likes him and his guitar playing. My father is the one credited for damn sure that got me to listen to this music. Richard Thompson also wrote one of the best Fairport Convention songs and much later covered by the band Greta Van Fleet, "Meet On The Ledge." The song has been covered by multiple artists. The Fairport version also has Sandy Denny singing on it.

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
Another fact about the late great folk rock legend Sandy Denny is she sang the female part on the Led Zeppelin hit song "The Battle Of Evermore". This was on the studio album version only as far as I know she never sang it live with Led Zeppelin on tour, that part was always sung live as far as I know by John Paul Jones and much later by Alison Krauss & Najma Akhtar when she performed the song with Robert Plant.

With Najma Akhtar

With Alison Krauss

The Original Studio Album Version with Sandy Denny

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Another fact about the late great folk rock legend Sandy Denny is she sang the female part on the Led Zeppelin hit song "The Battle Of Evermore". This was on the studio album version only as far as I know she never sang it live with Led Zeppelin on tour, that part was always sung live as far as I know by John Paul Jones and much later by Alison Krauss & Najma Akhtar when she performed the song with Robert Plant.

With Najma Akhtar

With Alison Krauss

The Original Studio Album Version with Sandy Denny
I saw Plant and Krauss in Indianapolis 2 summers ago and of course they did that track...great show.
I saw Richard Thompson once in Chicago around the late 90's....a double bill with Randy Nerwman on piano.
The version of Evermore I saw in Indy...

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online