Vanilla Fudge! (Official Thread)

elfranco

Reaction score
Re: Vanilla Fudge!

Vanilla Fudge. Yes vanilla and very much fudge. Gloppy, glubby and gooey much like Iron Butterfly. Distorted vocals and cheap git hacking. More of a curiosity. And forgive me for saying that in my humble opinion, The Supremes can never be touched by a group like VF. It's just not done in the civilized woild. fuggettabowtit:u2:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: Vanilla Fudge!

I always found it interesting how they could take almost any song in the world, slow it down to a dirge-like pace, shroud it in fuzzy guitar, floating sustained organ tones and clouds of incense (and other herbals ;)) and make it just as effective, if not more so. That kind of treatment was apparently their stock-in-trade.

Well put! Twas exactly Vanilla Fudge's stock in trade.A vanilla-fudge.jpg

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Vanilla Fudge. Yes vanilla and very much fudge. Gloppy, glubby and gooey much like Iron Butterfly. Distorted vocals and cheap git hacking. More of a curiosity. And forgive me for saying that in my humble opinion, The Supremes can never be touched by a group like VF. It's just not done in the civilized woild. fuggettabowtit:u2:

Cheap git hacking...how unfortunate. The extended mind altering tunes produced by these guys opened the doors for many psych. bands that followed. Admittedly, they didn't create the scene, but they were hip.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I've only heard their first album,but I think its a wonderful foray into the psych/blues movement of the late sixties,one,of course,mastered by the likes of Cream,Jimi Hendrix,Ten Years After and I might even through in Canned Heat.I always found their remake of the Supremes' "You Keep Me Hangin' On" to be most captivating and at times nearly breathtaking.Carmen Appice laid down some wonderful drum licks.Oddly enough,he actually wound up banging the skins for Rod Stewart's massive 1979 disco mega hit "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" Go figure.................

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I actually don't mind listening to that old Rod Stewart song once in a while...:peek

I have a Carmine Appice solo album, bought it in the early 80's. I kept it because it's easily one of the best sounding 'drum kits' ever recorded and I enjoy listening to drums as the lead instrument, it's refreshing.:drums:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Used to take drum lessons and my instructor used a Carmen Appice educational book.Some really helpful exercises about different tempos and fills.On the cover,he was sitting behind on HELL of a drum kit!Just can't remember what brand it was...................

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm not surprised Carmine is well respected in the drumming fraternity and does try to help aspiring young people get good at the trade.

Years ago a young friend of Magic and me complained that his band had everything sorted even a decent vocalist, but could never find a quality drummer.

E-Z

Reaction score
The 'Fudge' were influential on a number of bands during the late 1960s none more so than British band DEEP PURPLE with that guitar/Hammond organ sound with Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple admitting in later years that the rest of Deep Purple liked and listened to Vanilla Fudge back in the day although personally I prefer what came after Vanilla Fudge namely CACTUS featuring both Carmine on drums and Timmy on Jack Bruce style driving bass guitar the same as in CREAM.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Staff online

Members online