Review Toto- Isolation (1984) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Toto- Isolation (1984) ***

Been wanting to review a Toto album for awhile, and the problem was I was torn with what I felt were 3 classics that could have been the choice, each on their own merits. Those choices included their 1978 Self Titled LP. It put Toto on the map, and had 3 what I felt were killer tunes that so well musically attuned, that almost gave a "session guys go super man" kind of feel. And an extra vote for being so innovative and hitting the ground running.... At the debut album level. My second choice was what I feel that 90% of you would have chosen... Toto IV (1982). It had some of their largest hits like Africa and Rosanna. It made them huge stars, got them 4 Grammys, and a huge crowd adulation in the M-TV age.

But instead, I ant to cover my favorite by the band, and some may view it as kind of an obscure pick..... Isolation, which was the disappointment to IV. It was a huge disappointment commercially. IV reached #4 in the charts, while this album #42. Which in the music business is an unmitigated disaster. To me, it didn't have those super hooked hits, but had a consistency that was outstanding. Very very little of album is light on quality, and in essence, it was the best album of all where the members of the band were able to flex their technical chops.

I might also be slightly jaded toward this pick, since it was the tour I got to see them live. Very very talented musicians. Yeah, the moniker that they wear around being studio guys might be a diss. But make no mistake about it. These guys were a welcome alternative change to AOR which by the late '70's was getting a tad stagnant. They sure knew what they were doing.

Fun Fact: Not sure these stats are compiled, but for a band do go from one that had a No. 1 and 2 hit (Rosanna and Africa) to not even having one break the Top 20 is (was) pretty un heard of. Also add 4M sales to <1M.

Side 1-
-----------

Carmen- Straight forward rocker, that one thing is noticeable is the loss of Kimball's voice seems to lose some the band vocal acuity. But such was the loss was so miniscucably un-noticeable, that it sure seems Toto hasn't missed a beat. No diss to Frederiekson, but he sounded like a Jefferson Starship clone. 8

Lion- Another middle of the road rocker with some decent jazz licks. 2 songs in, you can kind of get the message that the band, was not wanting to stay the course on IV. This and in further cuts, the band seems more enamored with the musical product, than employing commercial value. And for that I love it. 5

Stranger In Town- Wow, what a great tune. The song also generated one of what I felt was one of the better artistically crafted music videos of the era. Starring in the video was Brad Dourif, who many of you might remember as the Doc in the HBO show Deadwood. Visual imagery in the video is fantastic, and it works perfectly with the song. Deep, foreboding, and shredding. Great song and great video? Yeah, I liked it. 2

Angel Don't Cry- A slight shift into more a traditional rocker that might be at home in the first 3 albums. For those who remember "I'll Supply the Love".... Kind of a similar chordal progressive structure. Still worth the price of a listen admission. 6

How Does It Feel- I know I am in the extreme minority, but this is by far my favorite Toto ballad. Song has such deep lushness that has that smooth mid 1970's feel. And still I didn't care it was 1985. Lukather worked the solos nicely as a close to Side 1. 3

Side 2-
-------------------

Endless- Another example of a song that was so well composed, so well crafted and delivered, and yet it got zero air play. Love how the band blends perfectly all parts in so well that it doesn't detract from the over histrionic vocals (No-offense intended, it worked perfectly) 4

Isolation- Title Track is actually the weakest on the LP. Hate to repeat the Jefferson Starship comparison, but if you heard this for the first time, you'd think that Mickey guy of that band was delivering it, or even the band itself. Not bad, but weakest of a strong album. 10

Mr. Friendly- Maybe the most keyboard centered tune on the LP. Lower tier again, but not bad at all. 7

Change of Heart- After hearing the prior two, you might be inclined to give on the album. But no... The band gives what I feel is the best effort on the LP. Me and a few other's love to use the term "Chaos" when describing great music. Controlled Chaos is a perfect description of this fantastic song. Love the fuzzy ax work and unique chordal work in the transitions, while an almost orchestral feel is conveyed at the conclusion. Only a band of the talent of Toto and few others could pull off a song like this. 1

Hollyanna- Sadly the album closes with what I feel is another weaker number. Rock songs selling mundane life stories is so early 1970's, and damned boring if you ask me. 9

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WPaton

Members online

No members online now.