Review Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever (1989) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Album of the Day- Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever. (1989). *****

Tom Petty was a legend. He was a Traveling Wilbury along with Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne. He even had half of the Beatles peforming on some his albums, like this one. TP had massively prolific, consistent, and incredibly talented career that included some of the most rocking, innovative, and moving stuff. From Breakdown to U Get Me High, Petty cranked out hits like a slot machine for nearly 40 years. Also, got to give props to maybe the most underated and unhearlded sidekicks in Rock history, Mike Campbell. He has at least a stake of a good 1/3 of the Petty sound with the best modern slide guitar, and shredding licks.

Losing Petty in '15 was massive loss for Rock music. Maybe one of the best songwriter of the past two generations, and just a guy/band that when you bought an album/8 track/cassette/CD/Download, you knew there was going to 90-100% chance you were not going to be disappointed..

But now to his greatest work ..... 1989's Full Moon Fever. And as kind of an interesting side note. This was my first CD purchase. So I guess my CD collection goes back to 1989.

Full Moon Fever was TP's first work without the Heartbreakers, though he course employed Campbell. Other greats like George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, It was his greatest selling non-compliation album, at 6X platinum. You can really feel the collaboration that TP had with such a epic cast for support. Who wouldn't be inspired by what was most of the elements of the Wilburys. FMV has more hook than any other Petty album, and I don't think that was by accident. I think this one was less reliant on concept, and more about taking the most advantageous approach to making hits, and appeasing a larger audience. In any case....it work, and worked well.

Fun Fact: Only TP Albun that cracked the 5X platinum threshold

Side 1-
--------

Free Fallin' - Slow roll, rocker with great hooks. Song pushes the mundane hypocricy of life in CA., or as I heard someway was a sublimal ode to falling to he excesses to the LA scene, drugs, etc. Great song, got very much play in the MTV era, with its 50's/'80's switcharoo in video imagery. 3

I Won't Back Down- Heard many many times sinces its release, for those who give the middle finger to an opressive force. If you have listened to rock music in form or fashion in the past 40 years, I really don't have to explain this songe to you, or what it sounds like. Video was iconic, in that it had Petty, Campbell, Ringo, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne. Yeah, I'd say that was a pretty well known ensemble. pastedGraphic.png 2

Love is a Long Road- This is the real sleeper on the LP, and my favorite among then non-hits. Some of Campbell's best slide guitar work of the mid '80's. Outside Runnin Down a Dream, the most rocking song on the LP. 6

Face in the Crowd- Semi-filler in my book, though I do have friends that love this soft rocker piece. Not much here... but just wait for the next song.... 12

Runnin' Down a Dream- Greatest song on his greatest album- This is TP at his high energy chaotic rocking best. Get your air guitar tuned, this one rocks...... On could argue that the end of this song was Campbell's best solo with his collaboration with Petty. 1

Hello CD Listeners- Hilarious, account and point in time when CD's were just now being part of mainstream music sales. Tom Petty wanted to make sure that those who had the CD know that those who had the LP would be having to flip the LP to listen to Side 2.

Side 2-
-----------

Feel a Whole Lot Better- No one can dispute that the Byrds were obviously the biggest influence on Petty than any other earlier rocker. TP used Byrdish styles a whole lot more in the earlier part of his career, say especially the 1st 3-4 albums. Here he resurrects that with meter and style, that like what I use to say....... Petty plays The Byrds better than the Byrds play. Good song. 7

Yer so Bad- Soft rocking Ballad-isa ditty that Petty plays in jest to give his listeners a laugh. Fun song though.... 11

Depending On You- Another Soft rocker that rotates with a harder spin with good hooks and guitar progessions. 9

The Apartment Song- Love TP's infusion of a little rock-a-billy in this short and catchy tune. Petty really starts showing off his versatility at this point. 8

Alright For Now- Slow beautiul ballad with guitar only. Very simple, but they way they intertwine the acoustically runs just works well. The fact that I think this is the 10th best song on this album, just shows how great it was. 10

Mind with a Heart of It's Own- TP adds some more rockabilly style, and it again it works well. I think in this short one Petty take mundane and nonsensical and build a really cool song around of it. Petty may have thought he was adding filler here, but is sure worked for me. 5

Zombie Zoo- Loved this tune. Just more of the nonsenensical of Side 2- Though I feel Petty had some commentary around the party scene. Song in its pure essence, is the perfect hooked Petty song. 4

R-13637541-1558025730-7822.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online