Thin Lizzy to issue two classic remastered albums

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I may well invest in those re-masters, I don't know if I even still have the original albums, if so they were on 33rpm's... in which case I'll never find them as they are probably in boxes my basement at our place in DC, submerged underneath my two son's sports gear and clutter, and will probably only ever see the light of day again when archaeologists dig them up 300 years from now!

Funny how Thin Lizzy are one of those bands who are gaining more and more respect years after they were at their peak (by that I mean the Lynott/Gorham/Robertson/Downey lineup)...this current version of the Lizzys for me is little more than a joke tribute band and should be treated as such, though it's the way things go these days, there's still plenty of dough to be made by the likes of Thin Li$$y

Where's the love for 'Johnny the Fox'? .... I thought that was by far their best album both production-wise and song-wise, just a thing of great beauty.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Phillip's 2-solo albums SOLO IN SOHO & THE PHIL LYNOTT ALBUM are in my humble opinion 'great albums' and should be heard by a greater audience beyond the usual Thin Lizzy fan's. :grinthumb

Agreed. There is also a soundboard of a solo show from Sweden with John Sykes on guitar, but I haven't heard that one.

E-Z

Reaction score
Agreed. There is also a soundboard of a solo show from Sweden with John Sykes on guitar, but I haven't heard that one.
Yeah i'm sure i have that one BIG EARS it was put out by Darren Wharton (again) as a 'double cd' i think although i've never played it thus far.

Hey THE SOUND yeah your correct THIN LIZZY without Phil is a 'bad joke' and i guess was a way of some ex-member's making some 'easy money' off the backs of old Lizzy fan's although i guess theres enough old Lizzy fan's around who would like to hear the 'old songs' again.??. :rolleyes:

itsjim

Member of Rock legend
Reaction score

There are a number of good quality recordings with Phil and John S they also toured at the Three Musketeers and then there was a few shows with the Phil Lynott and the Soul Band

E-Z

Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing anything from the GREEDY BASTARDS i.e. Phil, Scot & Brian with ex-Sex Pistols Cook & Jones but i believe nothing was ever commited to tape well thats wot i read i don't know if thats true?.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
LG I understand your pain! But I know some of the guys who have worked on this and yeah I agree the remastered tracks may not be to everyone's taste but it is the additional material that comes with these releases which make these a must have.

The other point I would want to make is that Nightlife promised so much but suffered from some crap mixing and production so a working over of the tracks will deliver the gem that Nightlife always could have been.

So having listened to the other remastered releases Jailbreak etc these will be good and worth adding if nothing else to get you playing some LIZZY:)

You make a strong case in favour of the remastered CD's Itsjim....but I would prefer to see the word "remixed" instead. That is when they can really do a fabulous job updating/fixing old albums that transferred poorly to CD.

I will keep an open mind, and I like "Nightlife", at first it was so laid back it's almost an "uplugged" kind of record but it grew on me over time.

TheSound

Reaction score
Yeah i'm sure i have that one BIG EARS it was put out by Darren Wharton (again) as a 'double cd' i think although i've never played it thus far.

Hey THE SOUND yeah your correct THIN LIZZY without Phil is a 'bad joke' and i guess was a way of some ex-member's making some 'easy money' off the backs of old Lizzy fan's although i guess theres enough old Lizzy fan's around who would like to hear the 'old songs' again.??. :rolleyes:

As a general rule I'm against bands of tired old men who broke up or retired like 20-30 years ago coming out of retirement and touring their old hits, it's just backward and pointless, but it is a huge trend these days. It's different if they go back into the studio and record some new fresh material and write some more new songs, there are dozens of them I could name, but it's the likes of Deep Purple that I'm meaning, who haven't made a new record in 8 years and so I assume they just tour around the world playing 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Child in Time' endlessly, and Thin Lizzy haven't laid down any new stuff now for 29 years, actually since before Phil Lynott died, all they do is play 30 year old Lynott songs, and release the odd live album, which takes no creative effort at all, I mean it's just rubbish imo, I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber, at least he's making some effort to be relevant.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's nice if an old band has enough left in the tank to record a new album then perform them when they go on tour.

However...as far as Deep Purple goes not too many years ago their world tour was Hugely successful. Keeping alive the spirit of a Great old band and introducing their music to an entire new generation as well as old timers like myself attending their concerts.

I will take them anytime playing old songs rather than listen to Bieber myself. Seriously can you see Bieber doing a tour 30+ years from now re-introducing his songs that are hits right now...:nw:

He will be forgotten like, Spears, Rihanna and so many others in the pop music field and the fact old rock bands can still tour and be successful proves they have stood the test of time. Also I am also impressed when Young people join forums like ours searching for the music we grew up with, to add to whatever new music they enjoy.

TheSound

Reaction score
^^It's nice if an old band has enough left in the tank to record a new album then perform them when they go on tour.

However...as far as Deep Purple goes not too many years ago their world tour was Hugely successful. Keeping alive the spirit of a Great old band and introducing their music to an entire new generation as well as old timers like myself attending their concerts.

I will take them anytime playing old songs rather than listen to Bieber myself. Seriously can you see Bieber doing a tour 30+ years from now re-introducing his songs that are hits right now...:nw:

He will be forgotten like, Spears, Rihanna and so many others in the pop music field and the fact old rock bands can still tour and be successful proves they have stood the test of time. Also I am also impressed when Young people join forums like ours searching for the music we grew up with, to add to whatever new music they enjoy.

Yeah LG, I just expect artists to make some effort creatively, however long they decide to go on, and not just turn into some complacent parody of their former great selves, spending eternity lazily re-hashing songs they recorded 40 years previously just in order to make a buck. To me a band hasn't stood the test of time if that's all they can do, they have dried up as a creative force, and the message they are sending is "this is what we came up with 20 years ago, oh, and btw, it's all that you're going to be getting from us 20 years into the future too!! " If I'm still around in 30 years (unlikely) then I'll get back to you on young Justin!! :) Cheers.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online

No members online now.