Thin Lizzy to issue two classic remastered albums

itsjim

Member of Rock legend
Reaction score
Okay people due for release in Feb/March two classic albums from the Thin Lizzy catalog.

These will be remastered versions of Nightlife and Fighting and there are some real gems on the list - and some early demos involving Gary Moore

Here is the track listing

NIGHTLIFE

DISC ONE
01. SHE KNOWS
02. NIGHT LIFE
03. IT’S ONLY MONEY
04. STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU
05. FRANKIE CARROLL
06. SHOWDOWN
07. BANSHEE
08. PHILOMENA
09. SHA-LA-LA
10. DEAR HEART

DISC TWO
01. SHE KNOWS - BBC Session 3/10/74
02. SHA-LA-LA - BBC Session 3/10/74
03. IT’S ONLY MONEY - BBC Session 3/10/74
04. PHILOMENA - BBC Session 3/10/74
05. DEAR HEART - BBC Session 23/10/74
06. BANSHEE - BBC Session 23/10/74
07. SHOWDOWN - Demo with Gary Moore
08. STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU - Demo with Gary Moore
09. IT’S ONLY MONEY - Demo with Gary Moore
10. SHOWDOWN - Alternate take
11. STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU - Rough vocal mix

FIGHTING

DISC ONE
01. ROSALIE
02. FOR THOSE WHO LOVE TO LIVE
03. SUICIDE
04. WILD ONE
05. FIGHTING MY WAY BACK
06. KING’S VENGEANCE
07. SPIRIT SLIPS AWAY
08. SILVER DOLLAR
09. FREEDOM SONG
10. BALLAD OF A HARD MAN

DISC TWO
01. HALF CASTE B-Side Rosalie
02. ROSALIE US Album Mix
03. HALF CASTE BBC Session - 29/05/75
04. ROSALIE BBC Session - 29/05/75
05. SUICIDE BBC Session - 29/05/75
06. BALLAD OF A HARD MAN False Starts and No Vocal
07. TRY A LITTLE HARDER Alternate Vocal
08. FIGHTING MY WAY BACK Rough Mix with Alternate Vocal
09. SONG FOR JESSE No Vocal
10. LEAVING TOWN Acoustic, Bass & Drums - No Vocal
11. BLUES BOY
12. LEAVING TOWN Extended Take
13. SPIRIT SLIPS AWAY Extended Version - Take Four
14. WILD ONE No Vocal
15. BRYAN’S FUNKY FAZER (SILVER DOLLAR)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
As much of a Thin Lizzy fanatic that I am I will pass on both of these. Remasters seem like just recycled material nowadays, and many old fans I know prefer the very first "Untouched" CD versions to any of the remasters with a few exceptions.

I am going to pick up a vinyl copy of Jailbreak once I get my analog gear updated a bit.;)

E-Z

Reaction score
The cd i wanted to get my hands on of theres was the BBC live recording of Thin Lizzy's final Reading festival gig from 1983.

I originally bought the cassette version (remember them?) of this gig when it was released back around 1991 or 92 but i didn't bother getting the cd version as well which was deleted years ago although i have seen it subsequently on e-Bay.

itsjim

Member of Rock legend
Reaction score
As much of a Thin Lizzy fanatic that I am I will pass on both of these. Remasters seem like just recycled material nowadays, and many old fans I know prefer the very first "Untouched" CD versions to any of the remasters with a few exceptions.

I am going to pick up a vinyl copy of Jailbreak once I get my analog gear updated a bit.;)

LG I understand your pain! But I know some of the guys who have worked on this and yeah I agree the remastered tracks may not be to everyone's taste but it is the additional material that comes with these releases which make these a must have.

The other point I would want to make is that Nightlife promised so much but suffered from some crap mixing and production so a working over of the tracks will deliver the gem that Nightlife always could have been.

So having listened to the other remastered releases Jailbreak etc these will be good and worth adding if nothing else to get you playing some LIZZY:)

E-Z

Reaction score
Just jumping in here guy's, the NIGHTLIFE album is a complete disappointment (for me and many other's i believe?) not only from the song selection and the mixing to even the albums artwork it all sucks!. (Sorry itsjim i can tell that your a Lizzy fan).

Ok the 'classic Lizzy track' STILL IN LOVE WITH YOU is featured on the album but other then that track theres not much else of any note?.

I believe i read something in a rock magazine once that the NIGHTLIFE album was the most 'quiet & mellow' of any ROCK album to be released by any rock band from that era?.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I will have a listen to these before I buy as there has been some issues with previous Thin Lizzy remasters. Would be great if they sound good, and the other material will be great to have:)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Philomena is a good track on Nightlife. Philomena is Phil's mother and, because he was born out of wedlock and was black, when she was about 17, she was sent to a sort of workhouse in England. He remained in Ireland to be brought up by his grandmother. Needless to say, despite her hard life, Philomena outlived her son.

Almost everything is good on the Fighting album and, as with Nightlife, the guitar playing is from the pairing of Gorham and Robertson.

I like these Thin Lizzy remastered and expanded editions, particularly of the early albums with Eric Bell. I would like to get the expanded version of Bad Reputation. I would also like to see someone go back to the Grand Slam material and put it out in a cleaned-up and complete edition. Certainly, the record companies stand to gain by this endless recycling of material and I do not suppose it will end here.

E-Z

Reaction score
Hey BIG EARS i've got about a dozen GRAND SLAM cds put out by Darren Wharton (keyboards in a later version of Thin Lizzy) in the last 10 years or so.

CHINATOWN is my personal favourite Lizzy album.

Personally i've always liked the early 3-piece line up of Eric, Phil & Brian there was something 'very magical' with early Thin Lizzy something that was lost when Eric quit.

KILLER ON THE LOOSE & CHINATOWN are great songs. :grinthumb

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I preferred the early lineup and albums, but the later stuff is still okay. Chinatown is a good album. I also liked Renegade, which the critics hated.

I like particular tracks, some of which were released as singles and b-sides, such as Things Ain't Working Out, Whiskey in the Jar, Buffalo Gal, Black Boys On the Corner and The Rocker.

I just wish Phil Lynott was still alive.

E-Z

Reaction score
Yeah old Philo a great guy.

Phillip's 2-solo albums SOLO IN SOHO & THE PHIL LYNOTT ALBUM are in my humble opinion 'great albums' and should be heard by a greater audience beyond the usual Thin Lizzy fan's. :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online

No members online now.