Review The Who- Who's Next (1971) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Who- Who's Next (1971) *****

Outside the Beatles, The Who by far is the most profilic and talented songwriters and hitmakers that came out of the Brittish invasion. In overall longevity, as far as musically they outlasted their biggest competitors, the Beatles and The Rolling Stones. What is even more remarkable, is that The Who was less a collaboration of work, but pretty much focused on the genius of Pete Townsend.

The Who made other great albums... Tommy, Quadrophenia, My Generation, but what is most amazing about this band, is that they only did 12 Studio albums in their entire career. And out of that small sample, 32 singles charted.

I have mentioned earlier, that it was pure magic that this work was released 86 days earlier than Led Zeppelin IV. And there were many many other choices of great albums in '71. Like ZZTop's first. The Yes Album, Sticky Fingers, Madman Across the Water, ELO, etc. Quite a quandary for the young album buyer at the time.

In many ways, I beleive this was the pinnacle of the success of the band, Daughtery who at the time had one of the best voices in rock, started in decline from there, and Keith Moon especially started in earnest into his dark descent into drugs. But the no one can deny that the tandem of musicianship of Townsend, Moon, and Entwistle could be denied as great. Townsend himself started going into gloom, actively deriding Zeppelin as the pinnacle of rock heap.

Fun Fact: Just my opionion, but never was a more marked line of demarcation in a career rcock band, as when this one came out. Pre-'71 Who, just was not the same band

But back to this classic. And.....This album is full of classics Cuts again ranked in Blue

Side 1
-----------

Baba O'Riley- By far IMO the greatest Who song by far. Song starts with an almost robotic synth line for about 10 measure, then into the "DAG chordal" piano augment, ...add drums, the in one of the most powerful belting of an anthem "OUT HERE IN THE FIELDS!!!! I FIGHT FOR MY MEALS!!!, the layer in Townsend's guitar. This is about the most perfect hard rock song ever composed. No ever before or since has taken the D-A-G Chordal progression so powerfully. 1

Bargain- Another excellent rocker, Townsend effectively works in some melodic parts, and synth to give some texture for contrast. Moon's drumming has some complexity not seen in other parts of the album too. Good stuff 5

Love A'int For Keeping- By now, you pretty much know that I am not a fan of ballads. But, there is no doubt, that the Who was a band who did them pretty effectively - 8

My Wife- Entiwistle's famous contribution to the work- Rally nice how Townsend blended the horns. Just more evidence of how innovative Pete was with his sound. This level of versatility, really wasn't as appreciated as it should be. 6

This Song Is Over- Did I say I didn't like Ballads? Not in this case. Awesome work by the band Powerful vocals by Daltery and how the song cressendos towards the end.... very powerful too. What a great band. 3

Side 2-

Getting in Tune- Not a bad ballad. But what a let down after "This Song is Over" 7

Goin' Mobile- Weakest tune in what is a spectacular album. Some good drumming, but this one just doesn't do if for me, Townsend kinds of sings it sillily too. 9

Behind Blue Eyes- Another very very powerful ballad. Daltery's belts it out nicely. The shift change mid song toward adds more beauty and power to the tune. Song got much much air play in the day- 4

Won't Get Fooled Again- Epic anthem that rings even to this day to the distrust of political power. Great great tune, and one of their hallmark live tunes. Like Baba O'Riley starts with a synth opening, then pretty much turns into a full blown hellacious power. Often one of Pete's favorites to do his guitar smashing....... And who can forget the ending, that is often so apt. MEET THE NEW BOSS......SAME AS THE OLD BOSS"- 2

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
As Roger says in 2002 at the start of the 'Classic Album' DVD series "It was the best album that we ever made" and Roger I totally agree with you.

The UK edited single released version of Won't Get Fooled Again was the first ever 45 rpm vinyl single that I ever bought along with Atomic Roosters- The Devil's Answer at the same time back in 1971

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent album. Great review!

BTW, I like the ballads :grinthumb

E-Z

Reaction score
As Roger says in 2002 at the start of the 'Classic Album' DVD series "It was the best album that we ever made" and Roger I totally agree with you.

The UK edited single released version of Won't Get Fooled Again was the first ever 45 rpm vinyl single that I ever bought along with Atomic Roosters- The Devil's Answer at the same time back in 1971
From a faded memory the B-side of the UK 45rpm single release of Won't Get Fooled Again was I Don't Even Know Myself cos I vaguely recall playing it after buying the single back in 1971 and thinking I like it.

Apparently it was the anniversary of 'Moon the Loons' death yesterday (07/09/78) and I recall hearing about it on the tv news plus it was all over the UK newspapers at the time back in September 1978.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online

No members online now.