Review The Offspring- Splinter (2003) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- The Offspring- Splinter- (2003) ***

Mostly unnoticed and enjoyable in the process of fatherhood was my openess to listening to the music of my children. Thankfully, they were just as open minded to recognizing the likes of Rush, Yes, The Who, and AC-DC as examples. On the flip side there were some interesting bands in their youth like Blink 182, Sum 41, Blur, Social Distortion, Stone Roses,,3rd Eye Blind, and this band as examples.

Of course, just between you and me, good music post say 1980 was getting harder and harder to find. But I will go on record that if you looked and listened hard enough, you'll find some. By 2000 it was really getting really tough. There was basically no AOR that we enjoyed in the day. Our bands pretty much became relics of the past, and by many kids in the day looked at with disdain. Long hair, and standard rock riffs, solos, etc. were part of a bygone era.

This particular band "The Offspring" were popular right smack in the middle of what I call the Alpha-Numeric Nuevo- Punk era. Blink was the best of genre, but bands like this really held their own in the market. First, and foremost, I am sure everyone understands that Punk, and especially modern punk is the antithesis of the beauty, grandiose, and wonderment of Prog. No, there aren't any of what I would call musical maestros out in this era, but just as in the heyday of the "Ramones", punk when done crisply, hookly, and with humour, it is an excellent guilty pleasure. As much as enjoyed the Ramones, punk is always heard best in short quantities. No difference here, with their modern descendants.

As with many bands in the vicintiy of that time, there really aren't any well known or recognizable memebers. In their radio timeframe say '89-'03, they made 7 albums, with what looks like 6 different lineups. Musically, I consider them upper tier of the Modern Punk era, but what kind of sets them apart is their songwriting hooks and lyrics are among the best of the times. From listening to their catalog, there is definite a left leaning bias, see "Neo-con" below, but what sets them apart is they do have some really decent lampooning of some social issues that anything but liberal.

As good and funny as this album is, there is decent amount of filler. Sadly the band on this and other albums create songs that are so repetitive sounding, that you'd think it was a joke. Slash punk at 120 bps? There are about 3 or 4 songs on this that outside some mid-discussed sounds, create repetitive drivel. So, only 8 of the 12 of these will have narratives.

Fun Fact: The Offspring catalog includes the 8th and 9th highest selling units in Punk History. "Smash" and "Americana"....both at about 11M

Track No.
-------------

1. Neocon- First the ridiculous, and stupidest aspect of the LP. To clock into their punk left leaning repetiore, the create a short goosestepping anthem sounding number as an opener. I'd guess these idiots don't even know what a "Neocon" is. Why do these guys need the point to start this thing in a political direction. 8

2. The Noose is Falling- An acutal speed punk tune that hits the mark. If you listen to the rest of the album, you might come to conculsion that they are repeating the same song. Nope. But in this one, it does have social merit, and a lot of what they scream here, has merit. 4

4. Hit That- And now the first gem. Very candid musical op-ed on the state of how sexual mores are destroying us and the famiy unit. Surprising to see a social aspected leaning band put that lyrically. Maybe there is hope for some. 3

Verse 2

What was a family, is now a shell
We're raising kids now who raise themselves
Sex is a weapon, it's like a drug
It gets him right into that grave that he just dug

5. Race Against myself- This one sure has a Green Day -American Idiot feel to it. Except this band is better at it more than half the time. 6

6. (Can't Get My) Head Around You- Excellent self evaluation around the pitfuls of relationships. Heavy sounding well managed punk-scream that. It rocks, and one of the better sounds of the LP. 2

7. The Worst Hangover Ever- Neat and unique Caribbean ska/reggae number that effectively encapsulated what many of us have felt after a few too many. 5

10. Spare Me the Details- Another absolutely fantastic take on social sexual and alcohol commentary. Great hooks, hilarious lyrics. don't think The Offspring ever made this level of melodic excellence anywhere else. Very innovative partial inclusion of screaming with anger, just adds to the mix. My favorite by the band. 1

12. When You are iin Prison.- Wow, it just doesn't get any more bizare than this. Band adds a track that is dangers of Prison Life that is almost jaw dropping. Song is a 1920's (including record crackling) Jolson like crooning that just adds a new level of strangeness. 7

Balance of the CD is filler and all the songs are pretty much interchangable with themsleves.

51wJ3QA+0ML._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online