Review Synergy- Sequencer (1976) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Synergy- Sequencer (1976) *** 1/2

Todays selection is somewhat obscure and isolated to a pretty small population of audiophiles. It also focused on more of the technological aspects of synth and how it changed music. Synergy is Larry Fast, who was a pioneer of proliferation of synth as a media for music. Obviously he was not the first. Variations on the mellotron had been inclusive in some rock music as far back as mid 1960's Moody Blues, Beach Boys, and the Beatles. Michael Pinder, and people like Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman took that concept, and used it on a primordal keyboard era basis. But when it came to taking the concept and then exponentially exploding it? Here is the guy.

Fast was a true pioneer of creating electronic musicusing technology and innovation that had never been used before. This blurb from his web site gives a good idea and run down of how he created the sound which as he describes as an 150 piece orchrestra. He took his classical traiing, and really pre-historic like knowledge of computers, and changed music history. These websites give excellent details, and I really highly recommend reading before proceeding with a listen.

http://synergy-emusic.com/erro.html#ANSWERS TO THE MOST-ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT THE EQUIPMENT USED:

http://synergy-emusic.com/sequencer.html

Well, his innovation peaked the interest of Rick Wakeman, and was hired to help with Yes' mastepiece Tales of Topographical Oceans. This allowed him to nab a record deal, and he made 11 albums, and the 1st 2 Actually cracked the Top 200. Which was a pretty amazaing feat considering the narrow appeal of his work. Of those 2, this is my favorite. It takes a nice mix of some of his own compositions and some classical ones that are breathtakingly innovative for the time. Don't forget this is from 1976, and predating the entire personal computer era. Sadly, Fast like many others have been forgotten for their contributions. I hope this revives some interest and understanding of how and what some of the unsung pioneers did to make what music what it became.

Fun Fact: Fast did a 10 year stint with Peter Gabriel in playing and production for a chunk of his solo work. Others included Yes, Foreigner, Bonnie Tyler, and Tony Levin

Side 1-
------------

S-Scape- The really highlight of the album, and Fast's own masterpiece. The blend of all of his instrumentalization is truly an etheral experience. I spent many a moment in College with the head phones on, absorbing the experience. The fact these were generated computer sounds outside the norm of a straight mello was amazing. This was an orchestra without players, and every bit as talented, tuned, and impactful as any other philomonic moment in space. Except with computers. S-Scape really starts to shine at the 4:00 mark, with some truly crazy electronic blending and mixing. 1

Chateau- Another fine foray into electronic harpischord like 18th century feeling work. Still another really good compostion. 5

Cybersports- Of course, more electronic wizardry of the highest order, though in compostion is one of the weaker ones on the LP 6

Classical Gas- Everyone has heard this one on an accoustical guitar a million times, but Fast's version and take on the "classic" is really amazing. Synth blends are impecciably crisp, precise and poignantly strong. 4

Side 2-
--------------

Paradox (a)- Largo- New World Symphony- Fast takes on the ambitious task of taking Dvorak's 1893 9th symphony, 2nd movement and creates an astonishing amazing adaptation that just might give you goose bumps. The symphonic geek in me just loves this. The electronic chimes veilly way in the background give a spooky feel of a church bell dozens of miles away. Incredible piece of interpretation. 2

Paradox (b)- Icarus- Much more obscure of a piece at the time, and not much more added as content. There are other works on the album that are far more superior. 7

Sequencer 14- I'd play this one for my stoner friends back in the day, and they'd claim they had out of body experiences. In all seriousness this is electronic wizardry at its sci-fi best. 1976? Damn!!!! This is 15 minutes of an electronic trip of a lifetime. At least it did at the time. 3

51KPiDlBMkL.jpg

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Nice cover art.....but I think the first is better as is the third called Cords. But that's subjective.
Personally I prefer the ambient electronics of Tangerine DReam and the soundscapes of Vangelis.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting listen! I can see where Wakeman’s influence came from……and recognize his work with Peter Gabriel.

Modern Love (1977)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online