Review Rush-2112 (1976) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Looked at my inventory of reviews, and I've done 178 the past couple of years. I am not sure of the board's protocols, format, manners, or rules on these reviews. So, please be kind and patient with me. If I can start with one, here is Rush's 2112.

Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush-2112 (1976) *****

There is no argument that Rush did not invent Prog Music. However, in 1976 this trio of Canadians maybe gave the genre is most powerful redefinition in said genre's history. Rush in their 1st 2 albums pretty much went with a Zep formula of hard rock tunes that provided some minor hits and a strong but finite following. In album No. 3 (early 1976 Caress of Steel) they jumped into the progressive forum but with dismal critical and commercial success. Even us most ardent Rush fans have to admit that there is a hard and uneven feel to the sound. It seemed to channel Yes, but was forced and IMO mostly unlistenable (with a few exceptions). BUT.... the seeds were planted of future greatness.

Rush documentaries have stated that this bomb put the band on notice, and that the next one would be a make or break LP. The band thumbed their nose at the record companies, and under pressure created this masterpiece. This album's legacy is remarkable, and in almost every compliation of greatest Prog albums of all time...... This one makes their Top 10 List.

Side 1- 2112- A 7 part (20 minute) masterpiece that Neil Peart composed lyrics from aspiration of Ayn Rand's Fountain Head and Anthem. The song's theme is around a dystopian society that dictates all thought and actions of their minions. A group of hierarchal Priests (The Solar Federation) control society, and expect the population to bow and obey. The hero of the story accidentaly finds himself in something like a cave, and then finds an ancient guitar. He randomly strums, then tunes the device and suddenly gets excited with sounds it makes as music. In his excitement he brings it to the attention of the Priests who poo-poo the concept as useless relics of an earlier era. Our hero gets despondent, and it is perceived that this has triggerd a revolt. The Solar Federation puts the thumb down on the insurgents, and extol at the end after the attack..... THAT THEY ARE IN CONTROL......

Musically, 2112 has such a extreme different sound that doesn't even remotely resemble the 1st three albums. All 3 members hone their skills and are at least twice as good muscially on every angle. This was also the point that Mr. Peart started getting noticed for his percussion prowess, and among the best at his trade. Geddy Lee's voice seemed fuller and less shrill. He no longer wanted to be a Robert Plant clone, and brought range and tone that augmented the music beautifully. All 3 members are jaw dropping fabulous in working the tunes in a powerful manner. If you have never listened to this album.... Do yourself a favor and at least listen to Side 1.

Side 2-
------------

Where Side 1 was in Full Concept Mode, Side 2 focused on more traditonal fare.

Passage to Bangkok- Rush had 19 albums, and this one single tune is the only one that was drug themed over that 40 year period. Great Lifeson solo at the end. A fan favorite of the 420 set.

The Twilight Zone- Geddy goes high octave on the band's tribute to this classic TV show. Maybe the weakest tune on the LP, but still a decent song.

Lessons- Besides 2112, my favorite cut from the LP. Beautiful chordal progressions, intertwined with alternating heavy riffs. Peart's least complex part on the LP. But the way Lee/Lifeson blend their parts? Fantastic. I know other Rush fans like this tune less, but in my book... A pure gem.

Tears- Was blown away how two consecutive songs so beautiful could be so different on a melodic level.. From Uplifting to meloncolly on the turn of a dime. This is one of very few of what I would call "rock ballads" in Rush's extensive catalog.

Something For Nothing- Just to make sure prior Rush fans were made happy, this tune was included. It's style would make you swear it came from "Fly By Night". IMO- 3rd best song on the LP. A very rocking tune, and an add to many Rush concert play lists in the late '70's.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like even though the album has epic length opener, the fact the runtime of the album is still under 40 minutes means I'd just recommend listening to the entire thing.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Solid lp for all Rush fans for sure. While 'Necromancer' and 'Fountain of Lamenth' from Caress were long and somewhat proggy , 2112 was even more proggy with an even longer track; personally I prefer the songs on the next 4 lps .

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
An auditory adventure!

However, I have to confess, Geddy Lee is a horrible vocalist, but somehow seems to work for Rush.

Just an FYI….I love and search out songs with Mellotron, I have quite a list of them. “Tears” is on that list.;)

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
For me, 2112 was a step in a different direction but the albums that followed begin a fantastic trend in a long run of albums I love; not just Rush albums I love - albums from anyone that I love.
2112 does get a little long and less interesting by Rush standards for me but it is overall a heck of an album compared to their previous few. The “Zep formula” was working for me but 2112 helped set in motion a real love for what the band would produce in their next dozen albums.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I was about 11 minutes into that album you popped into the media section and one of the singers on that track sounded like Susie Q.
Susie Q ...who?
The only one I know is the song that CCR covered written in 1957 by Hawkins.
:hm:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Staff online

Members online