Review Led Zeppelin- III (1970) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin III- (1970). *****

This album and I have had a strange and up and down POV relationship throughout the years. Way way back when this was released, almost all of us based our album purchases on what we heard from the band on the radio. And when I first heard "Immigrant Song" I was blown away. Here was more of the bombastic heavy stuff we heard and loved on I and II.

So when when this 13 year old unwrapped his copy of the LP I was sickened by what I thought was an alter-ego or joke of what was the greatest rock band in the world. Even into the late 70's, early '80's with the abrupt end of Zeppelin, I considered this by far their worst work. But boy howdy after a decade or 2 that view changed. I finally realized this was music of the genius, flexibility, and breadth of Jimmy Page. Now, I see this as the second best album after IV.

It took an easy 20 years to appreciate the wide range of strings and styles that Page used to create some of the most unique music of the early '70's. Yes, it was strange and eclectic, but OTOH, it hit every box that every Zep fan loves. There's heavy metal, traditional British folk, Back breaking blues.... Yes ladies and gentlemen ... this is the ultimate Zeppelin album. And is with IV, there is no filler. Every cut is awesome. Another point in almost a concept thread is how Page partitioned this LP. Side One favored more traditional Rock and Blues, while Side 2 went hog wild into British Traditional Folk.

And this album, along with Rust Never Sleeps, is why my favorite instrument to play by far is the 12 String.

Here is the synopsis of the LP, and ranking. All the songs are great. Enjoy, and see why so many people consider this band the GOAT.

Fun Fact/Question: Who didn't enjoy spinnin' the wheel of your III, and trying to figure out the best visual?

Side 1-
---------------
Immigrant Song- Awwwyeeeawww Awwwww Awwwyeeeawwww Awwwww!!!!!! No mistaking or missing this great heavy classic. The one that got airplay. And the one cut that best mimicked earlier Zep work. 1

Friends- Folksy, Bluesy, rocky ditty with what comes across almost a mellotronish filler that gives a haunting feel to this one. Plant intentionally screeches his voice up up half an octave. Very strange song, but effective in giving the mysterious Zep aura. 9

Celebration Day- Which then awesomely phases half chromatically via slide into maybe the straightest rocker on the LP. Wow... 6

Since I been Loving You.- I know many who consider this the greatest Zep blues tune in their career. Even better than some of the classics that dominated I and II. Page throws in a fantastic shredder solo mid way. I am not an obsessive fan of pure blues, but this is damned good even for rockers. 8

Out on the Tiles- Another fantastic rocking song when awesome hooks. Bonham's drums are sadly overlooked by critics on most of this LP, due to Page's showcasing. But if you listen pretty closely, there is some damn hard to do drumming going on right here. 2

Side 2-
-----------------
Gallows Pole- Traditional UK folk song that Page transcribed into a clinic on strings.... Guitars, Mandolins, 12 Stings, even Banjos. Yeah folks its all there. And it is a toe tapping tribute to versatility and genius of Jimmy Page. I hated this and most of side 2, 50 years ago. Now there is no to underestimate its greatness. 3

Tangerine- Page's most beautiful ballad for Zep. The 12 string blending in and switching with wah wah is incredible. The solo blend of JPJ and Page at the end is magnificent. 5

That's the Way- Ever hear and have a song that ever throws you back into time and retrospection? This beautiful tune is like a 1972 time machine for me. I don't know or understand why, but for some reason, I have difficulty holding back the tears when listening. Maybe it's the melancholy tone or message. 4

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp- Band puts on their Celtic traditional fare- Love that they haven't forgotten their roots, when in 1970, that probably wasn't viewed as very cool. 10

Hats Off To Roy Harper- This song epitomizes the absolute talent of Zep. Plant and Page basically put together a tribute to 1920's and 1930's Delta Blues by recreating the sound, as it would have came across recorded then. Complete with fret distortion, and voice inflection of a tin can microphone. Newbs would think this sucks. I recognize the genius. 7

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Great album and what was interesting was that they went in a more acoustic and esoteric direction after 2 heavy lps that sort of solidified their sound. 'Thats the Way' and 'Friends' are very special...of course 'Immigrant Song ' is killer.
Not their second best lp for me but certainly in my top ones by Zep.

Wanted to mention Roy Harper who I had the pleasure to see (twice) and meet at Abbey Pub in Chicago in 1998. Very fun show to watch him live and solo with just an acoustic guitar. He shared some beers with me and my friends after the show, took a pic with us, and we even met his daughter who was running his cd table selling cds.
He met Zep in 1970 at the Bath festival and became friends with them ever since (also Pink Floyd). He also toured with Zep on and off in the 70s and was on the 1973 tour and can be seen in videos from that era.

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Fun fact: And how about the inscriptions on the vinyl run off wax? “So mote be it” and “Do what thou wilt”
Me decades before the Internet: “Duh fut…?”

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online