Review Queen- Self Titled (1973) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day - Queen- Queen- (1973) ****

Another review of an immensely talented group of musicians and songwriters. I don't think I have to tell anyone here, that this band was big, I mean really big. The band in the original lineup had 14 studio albums that were wildly successful. Some estimates have shown that they have sold upwards to near 300,000,000 units , putting them 5th all time behind Elvis, Beatles, Michael Jackson, and Elton John. Their catalog is so extensive, so discussing their hits and accolades would take pages of discussion.

The band of course if headed by the incredible flexible and versatile front man, Freddy Mercury. Many rock polls have him arguably the greatest voice in rock of all time. Again, debatable, but no one can dispute that this is an amazing voice with crazy range, and power. The rest of the band are masters of their craft.... Brian May on the Strat, John Deacon on Bass, Roger Taylor, drums...... All considered top tier practitioners of their trade. I don't think anyone can dispute them as the Kings (Queens?) of Glam Rock, and no one comes even close. Their sound is expansive, with majestic and often searing riffs, and overall masterful musicianship. There is no dead air in sound of this group. It is a rock of a wall of sound , much in the way that Pink Floyd and Rush does.

My favorite by this band might be a shocker to those who know this group well.... It's their least successful tracking LP, #83 in U.S. While there are many many more familiar albums by Queen, I enjoy their debut album the best. For a couple reasons, including (1) It's has the most rock based edge than any other (2) Queen rightfully and by choice took a gradual and more pop route at each successive album, and (3) The rawness, and missing slick production values give the album a unique feel and grinding sound. Maybe the least "Glam" of the Lot. There may be overall albums that have better songs, like II, and Night at the Opera, but if I have a choice to blow the dust off the vinyl, and put one in particular on the turntable..... This is the one.

No doubt the later stuff is great too, but extreme commercial success brought extreme pretentiousness in their music, and slavery to pop tendencies. I rather opt to any one of the first 3 Queen LP's., than the final 11.

Fun Facts: (1) Not even one song from this album cracked the U.S. single charts , and that means none ever made the top #100. (2) Guitarist Brian May is an advanced degreed and published Astrophysicist. Did not complete phD program though.

Side 1-
-----------

Keep Yourself Alive- Rocking right out of the chute. Nice crunched strumming highlights this well crafted one. One thing about Queen, is they are also among the best at hooking in their songwriting. Not near as much early on here, but everyone knows and recognizes the many so familiar songs in their catalog. If you want to hear one song on the album.... This is the one. 1

Doing Alright- How many men in rock in history could do soprano, and hold a note with projection to the level Mercury could? An excellent light almost jazzy ballad that scares the shit out of you as it starts rocking out like a slamming door. 3

Great King Rat- Love the fact that Queen loved to use English like story telling and phrasing, especially in the 1st 3 albums. Would have loved to have seen Queen do some themed like prog type stuff with styles like this, and their others. This song likely gave the future thought to Ogre Battle (from II) as some of the mid parts take a real majestic turn and angle to the music. 4

My Fairy King- More English themed mythological story telling, again in an alternating light and airy /. heavy hand that blends into some of the best keyboard work on the LP. Again, a lot of the precursor of the backbone of what Ogre Battle would become. 5

Side 2-
------------------

Liar- Maybe the most traditional rocker of the album- A good bit of the song sounds like it could have been from Zeppelin, except when certain parts get into the complex phasing intricacies that are typical of Queens works. Especially that span of time. The song also goes off into some innovative tangents that this band uses to highlight their talents. 6

The Night Comes Down- May/Deacon jazz like jamming highlight that gives way to their trademarked "Procession" toned guitar sound. Overall song is a ballad in essence, and probably the weakest on the LP. Which would be a really decent tune, on another bands work. 10

Son and Daughter- Heaviest rock sound on the LP. Sounds a lot like of other rock we were hearing in the early 1970's. Nothing that great 9

Jesus- Marched Tempo stoic in nature that is an incredible hooked tune that I found among the most listenable on the album . Song is done respectfully in a religious way. Song also has my favorite May solo work on the entire LP. Band as the only example on the LP cuts at the end to pure vocal harmonies in a spectacular manner. Those vocals as in similar to Bohemian Rhapsody, shorter, but no less effective. 2

Modern Times Rock and Roller- I had forgotten that there was a song that Mercury did not sing (Taylor). Works well, just seems strange. 6

Seven Seasons of Rye- I was initially puzzled by this, and had thought I had remembered that this was on II. Come to find out, this is a sample (exiting), while the entire song starts Queen II. Which is a better listen. 7

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlicaHudsp

Staff online

Members online