Oasis media hype?

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
So are some of you suggesting that if Brian Jones or Jimi Hendrix were alive today and went on tour it would be because they are greedy and need money? Because the truth is they would both be over the age of 80 and performing. Does that even sound appealing? Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Can you imagine an 81 year old Hendrix on stage trying to imitate his stage presence from 55 years ago for the sake of the audiences and money?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, I can envision an 81 year old Hendrix ripping it up on stage….even if he has to sit on a stool to perform!

Some of the greats before him were stage active until they were well into their 80’s……like B.B. King.

Look at Willie Nelson he’s 91 and still doin’ it.

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
In full agreement Magic... black musicians and blues based players... age like fine wine and remain cool. I could imagine Jimi on a stool with a hussars jacket.... and Brian Jones too-who sadly didn't realise the impact of his image /playing and influence.
The Stones are blowing it at the moment, they'd be much better playing the blues catalogue in an intimate surrounding.
I've no idea how Oasis will sound next year, and we live in a free society where they can play and others can watch.

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
Oasis was never one of my favorite bands, but the brothers certainly had talent. From the iconic "Wonderwall" to the other hit songs like "Supersonic", "Don't Look Back In Anger", and "Champagne Supernova which many would say was even more influential than "Wonderwall". The brothers definitely formed a large fan base along the way.

E-Z

Reaction score
So are some of you suggesting that if Brian Jones or Jimi Hendrix were alive today and went on tour it would be because they are greedy and need money? Because the truth is they would both be over the age of 80 and performing. Does that even sound appealing? Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Can you imagine an 81 year old Hendrix on stage trying to imitate his stage presence from 55 years ago for the sake of the audiences and money?
You are probably right BeatleMatt regarding Jimi performing today at 81 trying to perform like he was at 24,25,26 & 27 it would look like a bad joke and no doubt embarrassing to watch anyway if he was still alive and capable in playing as Magic says I am also guessing he would have to sit down on a stool and play in a 'down home country blues' style with an acoustic guitar and probably playing a few of the old songs like Hear My Train A Coming, Red House & Midnight Lightning to name but three.

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
On the one hand there are points to be made. Some here have touched on it. Royalties and current consumer habits. Artists may have a harder time making money from album sales because fewer consumers buying albums and streaming royalties are perhaps still unfair for artists. Artists and event ticket agencies inflate prices and fees to generate revenue to help recover some of that loss in income they once enjoyed.
Liam humorously bemoans the fact that he has to make his own tea these days. Times were, rock stars had four people making their tea and today he has to make his tea. It’s bloody time to bring back the rock and roll star, he reckons.
There is also perhaps the jealous inspiration that Taylor Swift has become popular and selling out Wembley. Liam says, o da fook you fink you are? You’re not a rock and roll star joos cause you play Wembley. I’ll show you a rock and roll star that can fookin sell out Wembley ten times over.

MCFCTrick

Reaction score
I was a fan in the day. Still like them too.

I first met Noel Gallagher when he was a roadie for Indie band, The Inspiral Carpets. Their keyboard player (and band leader) Clint Boon I knew because at the time I worked with his then girlfriend. We shared a love of Aussie bands The Church and Hoodoo Gurus, and the recent Paisley Underground bands, so became mates and I would go and see their early gigs.

One gig was at Corbieres bar in town, and he called Noel over as he knew we were both Manchester City supporters. He was a decent lad at the time, and often chatted seeing each other around town or at games.

When he joined Oasis and they went mega here, I saw them a few times, from the tiny Boardwalk club to their two nights triumphant homecoming at God's Little Acre, aka Maine Road. I loved that they were open and loudly City fans, and to see them wearing City shirts in photo shoots and onstage even in America (Billy Duffy from The Cult did so first) gave them a big connection for me and many others. (This was when Man Un*ted were at their peak, and City were in the doldrums, unlike these days ;-) )

I loved and still play their first two albums, but not the rest, and no, I made no attempt to get a ticket for the gigs next year. I prefer to keep the memories of how it was in the day. Besides, I hate stadium gigs nowadays. It was of a time and a place for me.

Good luck for those going, I hope they enjoy it.

Saiyan Rocker

The Legendary Super Rocker
Reaction score
There is also perhaps the jealous inspiration that Taylor Swift has become popular and selling out Wembley. Liam says, o da fook you fink you are? You’re not a rock and roll star joos cause you play Wembley. I’ll show you a rock and roll star that can fookin sell out Wembley ten times over.
Anyone who hates taylor swift is a friend of mine!
tenor.gif

E-Z

Reaction score
There is an article in the Irish Times today Thursday 9th September saying before Oasis and the Gallagher brothers there was RORY GALLAGHER a 'genius musician' who passed away long before his time in 1995 aged 47 anyway Rory's old trademark 1963 'strat' is up for auction in London maybe today or next week and is expected to fetch a MILLION or more?. Apparently I read recently one of the American 'tech giants' was a fan of the late Irish blues/rock guitarist and is very interested in buying the 'iconic battered old guitar' so it should make world news shortly.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online