NWOTHM (New Wave Of Traditional Heavy Metal)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
@Magic pointed me to a new band called Noor and their debut album Mother's Guilty Pleasure Part One, which I just bought off Bandcamp.

They're part of the NWOTHM movement that sees new bands making music in the 80's & 90's old-school underground metal vein.

It got me thinking that, while not necessarily tied to this genre, that Crypt Sermon (which there's a thread for) has the same old-school style that sounds like something I could have heard on Rebel Radio,
Real Precious Metal or any other overnight AM radio metal channel in Chicago in the 80's or 90's.

Of course the internet, especially YT and independent record labels give these kinds of bands a lot more of a shot these days and thank F for that.

Please share some of your favorite NWOTHM bands here, because I'd like to find more music like this. As much as I love (and collect) most European metal from the last 20 years, I missed out on the old-school metal by listening to classic rock back in the day.

Noor - Mother's Guilty Pleasure Part One

Crypt Sermon - The Ruins Of Fading Light

TACdtf

Reaction score
The Noor album is ridiculous and it's far and away my AOTY. I've not been this excited about an album in a long time. And to clear up something said in another thread, the singer is a male.

The Crypt Sermon is very good as well.

One band I like to recommend is Seven Sisters. I posted them in another thread last week. Their first album came out in 2016, and it's a cross between Def Leppard's and Iron Maiden's first albums.

This is from their 2021 album Shadow Of A Fallen Star

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
The NWOTHM channel posted this 2 song EP from Eaglewing a couple days ago.

I went right over to Bandcamp and purchased the FLAC.

It really sounds like something recorded in the mid 80's in both style and tone.

Eaglewing - Eaglewing

Eaglewing - Hellraiser Wild

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I also love the NWOTHM Channel. Benn a long time subscriber. Treasure trove of bands / albums

1725247864554.jpeg

Female fronted.

1725247941442.jpeg

Very 80’s NWOBHM. They fit into the veins of Thin Lizzy to Judas Priest to Helloween to Iron Maiden.

Samurai

Fool

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I also love the NWOTHM Channel. Benn a long time subscriber. Treasure trove of bands / albums

View attachment 225554

Female fronted.

View attachment 225555

Very 80’s NWOBHM. They fit into the veins of Thin Lizzy to Judas Priest to Helloween to Iron Maiden.

Samurai

Fool

Another winner! Don't forget their 2020 album Gods Of Death and 2016's Wield Revenge released under the name Kramp.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Spirit Adrift.
If any of you have watched “O Brother Where Art Thou” you definitely know this song…..except this is heavy metal version……lol.

Man of Constant Sorrow

Divided By Darkness (2019) is an excellent album. The two previous albums were more on the doomy side, but this 3rd album onward is full blown Traditional Heavy Metal. Sabbath & Priest & Metallica vibes.

1725298668063.jpeg

Angel & Abyss

Divided By Darkness

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Spirit Adrift.
If any of you have watched “O Brother Where Art Thou” you definitely know this song…..except this is heavy metal version……lol.

Man of Constant Sorrow

Divided By Darkness (2019) is an excellent album. The two previous albums were more on the doomy side, but this 3rd album onward is full blown Traditional Heavy Metal. Sabbath & Priest & Metallica vibes.

View attachment 225566

Angel & Abyss

Divided By Darkness
This one has a huge early Maiden vibe goin' on. As does the Noor track Hoodlum.

TACdtf

Reaction score
Yes, Spirit Adrift are excellent.

Speaking of Man Of Constant Sorrow, here is a version by Desperadoz, who are to Cowboy Metal as Running Wild is to Pirate Metal.

Here's one of their actual songs..

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online