Review Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti- (1975) **** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Led Zeppelin- Physical Grafitti (1975) **** 1/2

This one is near and dear, and one wrought wlth great memories, and stories. I think I covered this in my Top 20 lists of '73-'90, so please allow me to share again:

***- Quite a story with this album. I bugged the hell out of my record store to get Physical Graffiti, and had an "urgent" and "priority" status put my order. On April 11, 1975 When I got the call to pick up, that night I thew a Zep Album party for nine of my closest rocking buddies, and we had a formal unwrapping and First Play Party. As far as I know, I was the first kid in the state to get the album. That's at least what the record store told me. And more Hawaiian Punch and Chips Ahoy than anyone could eat. And finally kudos to parents for letting me have the house for the evening, along with the parental HiFi

Interesting how you respond to music after years have passed. When I first played this LP, I had it easily had it up there in legendary status with the first 4, and that is saying something. Then you realize after hearing in detail, that this is an album with some flaws, though minor. At the time I also did not know or understand that many of these were outtakes of early 70's tunes from IV and H of H, that just didn't make the cut. About half actually were recorded pre-'74. In essence, this ended up being an exercise of band self regurgitation. And if this album would have been centered on the better half, this would have been at regular LZ 5 star status. That level of indulgence is also evident that 3 of the 15 cuts are over 8 minutes long. Yes, that was pretty common at the time for one, but 3?

The album itself, is a wonder of engineering, especially evident in the 1974 songs. Crisper, tighter, and maybe a tad less fuzz-sloppiness that was a hallmark, though a great one giving this band its signature sound. The 3 main musicians Page, JPJ, and Bonzo are all in their full bad ass greatness. The solos and playing as in any LZ LP is the rock standard. That is why, and no accident so many bands in the era emulated them. Led Zeppelin was the undisputed standard for Hard Rock.

What kind of makes this album unique is that this really the turning point where Page decided he didn't want to rely as much on blues based rock to practice their trade. It also has some of their most experimental musical wares. In 1970, I never dreamed that song like Kashmir could be made by this same band that did the blues on steroids. III may have had more of an audacious approach, but there is no doubt, much of what you were hearing in the '74 stuff was contrived on an expanded creativity base, instead of variations of blues. One thing is also certain, you can sure feel the eastern influence. It just worked on so many levels. In any case get ready for an hour and a half of rock history.

I do think in closing though, that this wild experimentative phase of the band did backfire in their next effort, and the worst album in their catalog - Presence. Another day for that one.

Fun Fact: First album after breaking from Atlantic Records, creating Swan Song Records. Yep, Led Zeppelin was this big and powerful. And influential? First new band they signed to their record company was Bad Company.

Side 1-
-------------

Custard Pie- Nice funky and blues-ish start to this long book. The fact this song is lower tier, and this great should give you an idea of great, varied, talented, and musically in the zone this band was in the early 1970's 10

The Rover- Hard rocking masterful classic, Page's magical ax work kind of underscores some fine JPJ, Bonham stuff. Boom!! 4

In My Time of Dying- Can't remember one song that Page relied more on the slide on. This is one of the 3 epic long ones, and yeah Page's solo is great, but from a listening perspective, this one is about 6 minutes too long. 8

Side 2-
-------------

Houses of the Holy- Ahhh yes, the title track that never was. Still, if there is one of these 4 sides worth the most listening, this is the one. Houses has that Dancin' Daze kind of riffing structure, still it even with its hooks, is a great Led Zeppelin tune. Love the time change alterations, and way innovative synced structure 5

Trampled Underfoot- More outstanding musical syncopation. The flowing and wailing Page guitar adds are genius. When Zep did funky, they did it great. OOOOO eeee.... indeed. 7

Kashmir- Wow, where do we start on this epic masterpiece. Never has a rock song ever been so constucted to build in tension, forbodance(?), and anticpation. Up and down like a roller coaster, Plant have never sang with such convicition of mysticism ever. Ever band member is on their game, and when the song morphs into its eastern flair? You can just feel the story unfold. And how Page was able to extract that horn like sound? I guess that is why he is Jimmy Page. For older guys Clapton may have been God, but to our generation, Page was the man. And I always wondered if Rat impressed Stacy with his taste in music. 1

Side 3-
-----------

In the Light- The Eastern influences continue into another mystical tour de force that blends into a fantastic good old fashion rocking number, but still with somewhat of a Kashmire feel to as it builds, ebbs, and flows as the verses progress. No, this isn't a Kashmir remake, and is outstanding on its own merits. 3

Bron-Yr-Aur- No I don't know Gaelic, and have never bothered to look up what it means. It is a short two minute Page acoustical ditty that is really good on a great album. 14

Down By the Seaside- Closest thing to filler on this LP. Not sure what they were wanting to accomplish with this almost C &W effort. 15

Ten Years Gone- Page for the 3rd time has reverted to his Kashmir based melodic patterns. With less success. Much better options on this LP. 11

Side 4-
------------

Night Flight- Lower tier, good stuff, but not their most inspired. 13

The Wanton Song- The sleeper on the LP, as I like to call it. Yeah, the band may have overused the funky style a bit, but I love the hook lines to death. Bonzo does some pretty amazing stuff here if you listen closely. 2

Boogie With Stu- Zep, often had a strange one and this piano based barrel house rocker has a neat '50's kind of touch to it. Love how Plant also used a hollowed mic to give it that rustic feel. Then add a Page Mandolin for spare? What's not to like? 9

Black Country Woman- A semi-acooustical that is purposely off tuned to give it that delta blues vibe. 12

Sick Again- Page turns up the blues in maybe from a mixed perspective the most atypical H of the H feeling number. Does rock though. 6

Physical-Graffiti-1.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This and Houses of the Holy are holy grail status for me.

Kashmir is a given best. However I really like the funkier side of Led Zeppelin as in “Wanton Song”, “Boogie With Stu”, “Custard Pie”, and “Trampled Under Foot”.

As always, magnificent review, Mr. Catfish with a mustache! ;)

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
A very nice review. This album is also a favorite of mine. For me, “In The Light” and “Ten Years Gone” are right there next to “Kashmir” and “Trampled Underfoot” Outstanding songs on an incredible album.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This and Houses of the Holy are holy grail status for me.

Kashmir is a given best. However I really like the funkier side of Led Zeppelin as in “Wanton Song”, “Boogie With Stu”, “Custard Pie”, and “Trampled Under Foot”.

As always, magnificent review, Mr. Catfish with a mustache! ;)
Yusss some love for Boogie With Stu.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online