Review Jackson Browne- Lawyers in Love (1983) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Jackson Browne- Lawyers in Love (1983) *** 1/2

Nowadays, sometimes it is hard for me to get past the past sins of activist rock stars who have rellished and wallow in their hypocricy. Four in particular come to mind in level of their dirty deeds... Springsteen, Nugent, Neil Young, and today's review subject Jackson Browne. Jackson Browne was especially obnoxious in his "No Nukes" era. Thankfully when I saw him on tour for this album, he hadn't gone full blown foaming mouth Antifa yet. It just seems something about being from the S-S genre that these pukes think they are entitled to channel their inner- Dylan to the poor ticket buyer, who just wants to hear the music.

But, as I depart the soap box, I do have to give credit due. I can remember watching an Eagles documentary where the members were taken aghast at the ability of Jackson Browne's ability to create a hit almost out of thin air. He did that famously. And his catalog, though not totally filler free, has some of the best listenable singer song writer stuff in his era of 1972 to say this album. You often will see me use the hook term to tie technical content to something that the listener finds pleasant, enjoyable, or catchy. Browne was the absolute master of this process. And interestingly, I find this album the best at that skill. Also interesting is that this was JB's last platinum album too. Soon afterwards, I think much of his adoring fans had become tired of his inccesant stupid bull shit advocacy and (alleged) wife beating antics. I have added the video of "Tender is the Night" below, which might be an example of the ultimae of irony.

Picking the right Jackson Browne album was choice within 3.... Running on Empty, on innovation, and pure S/S skills, Hold Out, which was almost a balance of Running on Empty, and Lawyers. And this one, which held the most "hook" allure. I could have thrown at dart hitting any of the 3. But this one has that obscurity factor, so.... my choice.

Fun Fact: Jackson Browne's highest charting hit wasn't even from one of his studio Albums. "Somebody's Baby" reached #7 in 1982, but was from the Soundtrack of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Which from this reviewers standpoint was his best effort ever.

Side 1-
----------

Lawyers in Love- Absurd rocker that sets the hooks. Totally nonsensical, but very listenable. 4

On the Day- Shallow love song, that exudes cynicism, some short guitar runs, but lesser stuff as a whole. Browne never lets his support staff take much spotlight 5

Cut It Away- Great hooked synthed melodic line. Browne's voice is in fine form, and adds echoing mixing that was pretty damned innovative for the day. Thumbs up on this one. 2

Downtown- Fantastic songwriting in a neatly narrative, though sung like manner. I get nice imagery of a large city with this one, that now would be replaced with Ghetto Rap, and gun fire. Love how he also adds alt-melodic phrasing from another "Downtown" song we all remember when we were kids. 3

Side 2-
------------

Tender is the Night- Absolute masterpiece of songwriting. This Browne being the hooker at his very best. Organ work interplay mid-phrasal is cool. No flaw as a pop-rock song in the least. Fantastic song. OTOH, as I mentioned in body of review, having Daryl Hannah in the video considering song content is the ultimate of spousal abuse gaslighting. 1

Knock on Any Door- A significant drop off on the 2nd track. Browne strays from the formula and is sucks. 8

Say it isn't True- You knew you couldn't get by on a Jackson Browne without getting by without a ballad. Blah, and kind of middle to low of the road with that aspect of JB's music. 7

For a Rocker- Closes the LP, with a pretty apt song. Has the same metered blend as Lawyers in Love and Downtown, whicn kind of gives me the impression that he was getting kind of lazy. 6

RedSG

Reaction score
Jackson Browne fan here. Back in the 80s my girlfriend loved his music, so we went to two concerts. We actually won tickets along with a Limo ride to one of them in Indianapolis. The other was at Alpine Valley, WI, a great venue. I was a fan before that of his early albums. I also liked David Lindley and Rick Vito who played in his band. Jackson always has top notch musicians.
Lawyers In Love was a little more Pop, as we called it back then, but the quality is there. I was getting into more heavy rock about that time, but I still have a place in my heart for any JB album.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online

No members online now.