Review Golden Earring- Moontan (1973) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Golden Earring - Moontan (1973) *** 1/2

I might get some gripes from some Kraftwerk fans, but this fare from Golden Earring in 1973 is IMO the greatest rock album made outside the Anglosphere (United States- U.K.- Canada-Australia) I've been wanting to share it for some time now but You Tube has invariably some how kept if off in its entirety. This band's legacy is pretty much isolated to the land of Ned, where they are held in awe as their version of their Rock royalty. In Holland they charted 18 top 10 albums from 1965-2012. But did no better than No. 12 here, and No. 24 in the U.K for this their only one of two successful albums outside their borders.

There are only 5 tracks on the U.S. version of the L.P., but all the songs are excellent. This is a early era prog-like album that almost fully is conceptualized upon the "bad girl" theme. And it is done to perfection. These guys play tight, and band members really pull their weight across the board nicely. This is a band with no glaring weakness, and they really got some very good prog-like chops. (Dear purist: don't shoot me.) They conduct these long numbers in a manner that are instrumentalized in perfect align with intent. They also shift styles and meter very very effectively. If you have never heard this album, and are into early Prog and good musicanship, you won't be disappointed.

This European album cover was banned in the U.S. sadly. The Moulin Rouge'd theme (which perfectly fit the music) just didn't get by our censors.

119448703.jpg

Side 1-
------------

Radar Love- Epic opening, riffs and awesome bass line. This is the most recognizable Golden Earring Tune. Sung in perfect English, and you'd never believe these guys were Dutch. Guys unleash horns in an unexepected manner in harmony with a guitar shred. Stuff that I hadn't heard before. Love the lyrics which pretty much are factual in the way the ladies almost hypnotize us via radar. Bad Ass Stuff, I tell ya. 1

Candy's Going Bad- Wow, you might thought you'd get a breather, but the band slams a funky opening riff at you at the opening like a 2 x 4. Really good guitar work mid way. More of the concept, as a showgirl that's becoming a hooker. This might be the most commerical sounding / feeling tune on the album, but it is so good. Chordal progression and jazzish touches gives it an eery conclusion. Wow...2

The Vanillla Queen- An ode to what sounds like a Moulin Rouge show girl in 1957. Synthesizers are brought into the equation. But don't let that opening fool you. This entire tune reads like a symphony in the way it shifts in and out styles. Especially in the latter 2/3 which is predominantly instrumental in nature. Classical Guitar, wailing Clapton early '70's like shred, its there, which then blends into almost an hallucengic lapse into a rocking Tour de' Horns in a nice manner. By the end of Side 1, you've realized you have heard a masterpiece. 3

Side 2-
--------------

Big Tree Blue Sea- Is that Jethro Tull out there? LOL. Yeah, flutes are added to this one. Another in an almost mostly instrumental that really nicely highlights the bands talents and versatiities. A lot of dead time with the flute solos kind of hurt the song, but by the mid point, it moves into a more rocking tone. The flute work is obviously a knock off of Ian Anderson's work, and but this is a good tune, and but honestly it's the weakest too. Which isn't really a slam of the quality of the song. Just the weakest of a good collection. 5

Are You Receiving Me- Seems there may have been some Byrds like inspiration into some of the Earring's work. Of course how many tunes did the Byrds infuse screaming horns and sax in. Long tune, with jams that really are intense. Really good, but at this point you realize that the band had put all the epic eggs in the Side 1 Basket- 4

Again, since YT is not allowing the entire LP, I am going to include the classic tunes from side 1.

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Brilliant album indeed but I would give it at least 4 1/2 stars. This album is in my personal top ten for their incredibly tight playing and excellent musicianship. Considering that they are of Dutch origin, the lyrics to their songs are pretty awesome and I am at a loss for words as to why they never hit the big-time outside of their home country.

The original European release is the better version imo, featuring six tracks.
1. "Candy's Going Bad" opens the album
2. "Are You Receiving Me"
3. "Suzy Lunacy" - standard rocker which drags the album down a bit.
4. "Radar Love"
5. "Just Like Vince Taylor" - ode to 50/60's rocker Vince Taylor it features some rocking drums and bass-work. Nice guitars as well. Much better song than the "Are You Receiving Me" and "Big Tree, Blue Sea" that were included on the US version.
6. "Vanilla Queen"

You are right to pick up on the flute, but I believe that the influence would be more from fellow Dutch music flutist Thijs van Leer from Focus rather than Ian Anderson. Possibly a bit of Van Der Graaff Generator influence as well? Barry Hay bought the flute into the band when he joined in 1968. His flute work is featured on the 1968 album Miracle Mirror, which I suspect predates Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull's fame and sound.

The Byrds were indeed an influence. Just listen to the epic version of Eight Miles High on the album with the same name. The version found on Golden Earring Live (1977) is out of this world.

Last edited:

Catfish

Reaction score
Brilliant album indeed but I would give it at least 4 1/2 stars. This album is in my personal top ten for their incredibly tight playing and excellent musicianship. Considering that they are of Dutch origin, the lyrics to their songs are pretty awesome and I am at a loss for words as to why they never hit the big-time outside of their home country.

The original European release is the better version imo, featuring six tracks.
1. "Candy's Going Bad" opens the album
2. "Are You Receiving Me"
3. "Suzy Lunacy" - standard rocker which drags the album down a bit.
4. "Radar Love"
5. "Just Like Vince Taylor" - ode to 50/60's rocker Vince Taylor it features some rocking drums and bass-work. Nice guitars as well. Much better song than the "Are You Receiving Me" and "Big Tree, Blue Sea" that were included on the US version.
6. "Vanilla Queen"

You are right to pick up on the flute, but I believe that the influence would be more from fellow Dutch music flutist Thijs van Leer from Focus rather than Ian Anderson. Possibly a bit of Van Der Graaff Generator influence as well? Barry Hay bought the flute into the band when he joined in 1968. His flute work is featured on the 1968 album Miracle Mirror, which I suspect predates Ian Anderson/Jethro Tull's fame and sound.

The Byrds were indeed an influence. Just listen to the epic version of Eight Miles High on the album with the same name. The version found on Golden Earring Live (1977) is out of this world.

Excellent comments. On this review, I was afraid the that fuzzy line of "prog" might be breached a bit. With the strong prog structure, I kind of wonder if it is more of a rocking concept album instead.

And to the point of comment of rating. I actually wrote this a few years ago, and at any given time I might give a rating one day that may not reflect what I feel another. So I can not only see this as at least a 4 star album, but felt instead of tweaking the ratings, go with my initial gut feel.

The most radical variability for a critical album for me is Rush's Caress of Steel. On certain days, and depending how I might feel, I might give it 3 stars.... On other days.... 5.

Good points on the overreaching Byrd's influence, I hadn't picked on it, until you mentioned. Still, I don't think there was one artist more influenced by the Byrds than Tom Petty. And TP didn't try to hide that in his music, or his vocal accolades.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online