Review Dire Straits- Making Movies (1980) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Dire Straits- Making Movies- 1980 ****

Was introduced to this album by USA Network Nightflight as kind of a pre-MTV episode, as a trio of semi-themed suite of videos. Not only were those prehistoric videos done beautifully and artfully, Knopler shot the wad with all the marbles with Side 1. I can honestly say that they aren't many albums out there that are this that good and lopsided in that manner in one side. There are some damned good tunes on Side 2 also, but not at the same level of greatness of the Movie-trio

Mark Knopler made great albums prior and after this LP, but at least in my eyes this album, and particularly Side 1 is an absolute masterpiece of beautifully entrenched smooth flowing blues guitar and a voice that fits the music in a glove like manner. When listening to this album, at least from my POV, I almost have to listen to all three to get the level of enjoyment and understanding of how fine this work is, and how great a job Knopler did. If you do enjoy Dire Straits, I recommend as a companion the next album in sequence, "Love Over Gold." Same great feel and talent, just a different tone and artistic sense of flow of the LP.

Also, for the sake of the listening experience, I am including the full album, and the Movie suite in order. That will give you the full experience as the band intended. They are art, by themselves.

Fun Fact: If some of the studio sound has a familar feel, understand that the infamous Jimmy Iovine produced this album. Many huge bands in the day employed him in the day, and used him many times, like Petty, Springsteen, and Nicks. Iovine is also well known for being the producer of wildly successful music soundtrack "The Breakfast Club"

Side 1-
------------

Tunnel of Love- Carnival feeling opening gives rise to some sharp Knopler licks. If the song sounds familar to some, it did appear in the movie Officer and a Gentleman, but not sure how or why that is there except from maybe some randomness. Great songwriting, and some imaginative imagery around the hazards of the affairs of the heart. 3

Romeo and Juliet- Doing this on Valentine's Day is pretty timely doing this reivew. More on the topic of Love. Knopler slows down a few RPM, and slow rolls a beautiful soulful ballad that includes some absolutely fantastic smooth Neo-classical feeling guitar. Ingenious lyricism that almost takes a sarcastic metaphorical look at modern love, not withstanding with a Shakespearen slant. Waiing guitar at the end? Wow..... he is an artist. 2

Skateaway- Most musically upbeat of the suite. Nice flowing drum reptit, keyboard, and more smooth flowing guitar accentuate this spectuatular song. Still the song in its upbeat nature underscores what seems to be the melancoly heart and soul of a lonely woman living her life vicariously with her music zig and zagging out of traffic. Almost fixation and transference to her music as life. 1

Side 2-
-----------

Expresso Love- Band starts S-2, with a rocking number that hits the mark nicely. Really good keyboard guitar interplay that does it well, and keeps the vibe moving.
Knopler continues the metaphorical plays on male-female interaction, pretty much focusing on the night club scene, at least on this one 5

Hand in Hand- Softer number that I understand that Knopler wanted to give some variation. Of course it hits the mark (pun?) for those who like the lighter side of the equation. Definitely, not filler but not want I want from DS. 6

Solid Rock- Best on Side 2- This song has the back bone and riffs/licks that you will hear in much more expressive detail on "Industrial Disease" from "Love Over Gold". A really good rollicking number from that side of Strait's repitorie. 4

Les Boys- ??? WTF. 19th century sounding and tinged number that will just leave you speechless and wondering what they were thinking. I have no idea of how, why, or if the band were sane putting this on an album that otherwise was overall a classic. I challenge anyone reading this to explain it. I sure can't. 7

. (full album)

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I am a fan of Dire Straits. Having even just a free account on Spotify for example also means we can make mix playlists so much easier than we did when we just had double or single tape decks and turntables. My "best of" Dire Straits playlists is a little generous but includes all the songs from Making Movies except "Exspresso Love" and "Hand In Hand"

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online