Did you try sneaking Tape Recorders into concerts in the 70s - 90s?

charliemusicfan

Reaction score
I asked this question on a different forum and thought it was really interesting to hear the different stories some members there had.

So I thought why not ask here? - Did you (or someone you know) try and sneak tape recorders into concerts in the 70s, 80s, or 90s?

Slipn

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
NOPE!! I went and bought the albums before the concerts so what would be the purpose of hauling a tape recorder to a concert. Nowdays.. Holy Shit.. You see everyone holding up cell phones.. :wtf:

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
That sounds better than the cell phone thing. I'm about the only one at the concert I feel these days that isn't having their phone out and actually enjoying the concert for what it is. These people and their artificial ******* lives ran on quick dopamine rushes is just sad.

TageRyche

Reaction score
I never snuck a tape recorder into a concert but while I was still in school, a friend was a bootleg trader so I could get my hands on various shows.

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
No....never really crossed my mind in the late 60's ,70's , 80s when I was going to concerts.
I have gone to shows in 90s, and early 2,000s but I often went to smaller venues where it just wasnt done. Havent been to an indoor venue in almost 20 years.

Pilgrim

Dogs
Reaction score
NOPE!! I went and bought the albums before the concerts so what would be the purpose of hauling a tape recorder to a concert. Nowdays.. Holy Shit.. You see everyone holding up cell phones.. :wtf:
I can see snapping a couple pictures, but holding them all the time is annoying. Most concerts are available on YouTube or you can buy the DVD. Why ruin the concert for yourself and everybody around you? That's just my thoughts.

Reaction score
I used to take my stereo Philips tape recorder to Chalk Farm Roundhouse as a friend of mine worked there.
I used to set it up in the lighting box and it was recorded through the mikes that came with it.
The recordings were excellent, but my home got burgled and most of therecordingsgot stolen along with
pre recorded cassettes.
Only a few of them survived, which I intend to upload to YouTube when I get around to converting them.
Before I bought the stereo recorder I had a mono Philips cassette recorder that I took to some gigs,
it came with a shoulder carry case and mike.
I recorded the Pink Fairies at South London Polytechnic and was told by the band that the recording
were better than some of the ones they tried to record, butthey borrowed the tape and must have decided
that they held the rights to it, and it never came back, plus I never did a copy for myself.
That night I also recorded Brewers Droop, which I think is still in my collection somewhere.
The mono recordings were good but obviously no where near as good as the stereo ones.

Catfish

Reaction score
All those holding up the cell phones is crazy. Back in my concert going era, I wanted to be un-emcumbered and un-inebriated so I could fully enjoy all the aspects of the show. The point they use cellphones as cameras is ridculous, since if they are just patient enough, they can see the same or similar concert on You Tube anyway
Just my $.02

Saiyan Rocker

The Legendary Super Rocker
Reaction score
That sounds better than the cell phone thing. I'm about the only one at the concert I feel these days that isn't having their phone out and actually enjoying the concert for what it is. These people and their artificial ******* lives ran on quick dopamine rushes is just sad.
I'm with you brother.

But back to the topic, I was born in the 90's so no I didn't sneak in a tape recorder. Although it would have been the perfect crime. No one would suspect me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcedw

Staff online

Members online