Review Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys- (1969) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Album of the Day- Creedence Clearwater Revival- Willy and the Poor Boys (1969). *****

If you take the factor of longevity out of the equation, there can be a strong argument made that Creedence Clearwater Revivial may be the greatest American rock band in history. Try listening more than any 15 minute period from 1968-1970, and not hear at least one of their massive hits. In that short period of time they charted 19 singles, and 5 of their 6 (7) albums reached the Top 10. (Mardi Gras shouldn't count as it made the list on CCR name alone, and was not of their usual quality)

Picking one LP as an example was really tough. Any of the middle 5 of their catalog would have sufficed, I chose Willy and the Poor Boys, for the fact it has two of my favorite CCR tunes, "Down on the Corner" and "Fortunate Son". OTOH, if any of you countered with Cosmos Factory, or Green River, you'd be just as right. As I like to say.... Musical taste is subjective, and fully believe that most of you agree, and always will. Any preference to any music, is up to the listener. This is just one's reiviewers opinion.

But there is one negative aspect of CCR, that I have a serious beef about...... In fact I have covered a number of times on other ... It is what I call the Creedence Effect. For a band with such a short life... 3 years and 7 albums ostensibly. How can its legacy be so abused that it results in 41 compliation albums. With that, I have lost a huge amount of respect for John Fogerty, his business partners, and what he has done to CCR's name in that respect.

But, there is no question, few bands incorporated traditonal blues, country, and great harmonies with as much as CCR No great musicanship here, just great simple tunes that many ways defined an era. Great songwriting, and a muscial signpost of what this era of life was like. It's hard not to smile while listening to a CCR album. Again, track ranking (IMO) in blue

Side 1
--------------

Down on the Corner- Try not to tap your toes to this hooked simple but classic hit. John Fogerty's voice was never stronger. The harmomies just click into what may be the ultimate late 60's party song. Love the street band imagery. 2

It Came of the Sky- Hilarious parody of the UFO thing. Nice rockabillly tune, and some of the best Fogerty guitar work on the LP. A lot of back slided politcal commentary of the day included. Though that theme was much more evident later in the album with Fortunate Son. 7

Cotton Fields- Hugely popular old Leadbelly blues covered song, that was mostly by country acts. CCR did it nicely too. Little back story on this one. As a TX/LA kid who was obsessed with attention to detail, it used to piss me off that people would sing about a ficticious place. There was no where in Louisana that was a mile from Texarkana. OH well.... 8

Poorboy Shuffle = Short instrumental of a harmonica/washboard ditty that augments well with the theme of the album. 6

Feelin' Blue- This tune is one of the reasons I chose this album to review. Terribly underplayed and underappreciated in their catalog. Very soulful blusey tune that IMO focused more on content that commerical appeal. 3

Side 2
-----------

Fortunate Son- Forrest Gump effectively included this tune in its soundtrack. Song was pure and true in its nature that Vietnam war was not equitable in choosing its particpants. Great rocking song. My favorite by this great band. 1

Don't Look Now- Elvis-ish rock-a-billy attempt. Maybe the weakest cut on the LP. 10

Midnight Special- Oft covered song, that CCR does very well. Stuff like this why Creedence was always listenable. Consistence. 5

Side of the Road- Instrumental giving John Fogerty a forum with his best solo work on the LP. Always wondered how Fogerty would do if he had taken an SRV approach in his solo career and focused on blues alone. 9

Effigy- Another hidden gem not covered normally in CCR playlists. This song almost has a "Hey Joe" Hendrix feel to it. Very simple, short but eery lyrics. I think they are worth a listen in the modern era. 4

CCR's legacy has gotten kind of lost through time. But there was no doubting their impact. Try to imagine Modern Country music without the roots of Creedence and the early Eagles.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice review. My favorite off this album is also Fortunate Son, next is Midnight Special….i like the story this song tells.

A strange story to tell. Me and my niece have been working for the past 2+ years on a family tree. The Fogerty’s are cousin’s from my Dad’s side of the family. I have a 2nd cousin, who we found via ancestry, who lives in CA. He is the same age as John Fogerty (78) and those two have lunch together once a month. My niece has pictures but I have to get permission to share them.

Catfish

Reaction score
Nice review. My favorite off this album is also Fortunate Son, next is Midnight Special….i like the story this song tells.

A strange story to tell. Me and my niece have been working for the past 2+ years on a family tree. The Fogerty’s are cousin’s from my Dad’s side of the family. I have a 2nd cousin, who we found via ancestry, who lives in CA. He is the same age as John Fogerty (78) and those two have lunch together once a month. My niece has pictures but I have to get permission to share them.
Very very cool. I am huge into genalogy. Probably more obsessed with it than music. Only rocker I am related to is Don Henley (3rd cousin once removed)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online