Review Boston- Walk On (1994) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Boston- Walk On (1994) ****

In a past review, I raved of how great, and grounbreaking that Boston's 1st and Self Titled Album was and how much its sound was a blast of majestic pomp and fury. I literally wore out 4 LP's and 6 8-Tracks in the late 1970's. That particular album got more air play for me than any by far. Many Many of us, had grand hopes that this band was going to be our Beatles for the '70's. I can not understate how loved that album was.... By me and many many others I knew, including many friends at the time. This was the "go to" party record. That album was the theme song for 1976 in my eyes.

So understand our shock and disgust when in 1978, "Don't Look Back" hit the record stores. It took 2 solid years to produce the follow-up, and that album was shadowed as putrid, wretched garbage. Seemed almost like a cruel joke at the time. In retrospect, this was almost a "Love Beach" moment, as it was later understood that Scholz and the band were at war with their record company, and though that they were contractually obligated to make a second album..... Nothing in that contract said it had to be good. We were angry, and rightfully so.

Then it took all the way to 1986, for Boston to make a 3rd album (3rd Stage), and unfortuantely it was only and mostly just slighty better than the second. Still a miserable hot mess. At this point, I think most everyone gave up on this band...... One and Done. Then by hap-instance in '94, I heard a new Boston tune on the raido that peaked my interest. Don't remember exactly which one, but thought I would give it a shot, and bought the CD. Pulling the liner notes from the CD, I was taken aback that the golden voice of Boston, Brad Delp was missing. I intiially thought this can't be good.

But to my surprise, and again this is just my taste and opinion, was that Tom Scholz finally decided to stop fully recycling and rehashing riffs and hooks, and put something more original on the disc. And surprisingly Delp's replacement was very competent, and actually and I am guessing purposely sounded a whole lot like Brad Delp. At least on those tunes he sang lead. Before providing any more glaringly nice comments, I still have to at least add a major disclaimer.... Like every other Boston Album, there are sappy shitty ballads that I detest. I like some ballads from some groups.... Heart is a good example. But when I want to hear Boston, I want to hear majestic peaking riffing, and wailing shrill guitars, puncutated by expansive keyboarding as the whole package blasting out of the speakers. Sappy shitty ballads intended to impress girl friends by some bands should be a jailable offense. So when you see the lower ranked numbered songs, you might have a good clue of my thinking.

Fun Fact: Not 100% sure, but Boston hasn't made an album in 10 years, and I am guessing their recording career is over. In those 37 years of being an active band, they only made 6 studio albums. Pretty unusual to have that overall longevity, and being that light on product.... and still staying relevant.

Track-
--------

1. Surrender to Me- Heaviest feel on the CD, and a very very solid rocker. Some of it, could be construed as slightly metal. Nice harmoninzaton with scratching rthym guitar interlaced with Tom Scholz' patented wails. Note to reader: On my CD this is the second song. I have no idea why the sequences are different, but for the sake of keeping confusion minimal, I will take the order the officil YT video is providing on this review. Smoking strong Scholz solo at end. Another hallmark of the engineer, and his use of the tools at hand and electronic competency. 2

2. I Need Your Love- Fantastic riffing, some balladry, but done in a manner that beautifully contrasts the chaotic alternating sections of guitar wizardry. Some of the wail harkens back to "Long Time" but not enough of a knock off to be noticable. 3

3. Livin' For You- Sappy Crappy Ballad #1. A little redeeming wailing, but not enough to save this stinker. 5

4/5/6/7. . Walk On/Walking at Night/Get Organ-ized/Walk on (Some More)- Combined these four as the blend functionally as the same piece. Good meandering innovative work, but if does have one knock, it is probably the one song on the album that the band rehashed so much from their 1st album- You can hear, Smokin, Long Time, and even modified licks from Piece of Mind repackaged into the tune Still really good, but not where while it is innovate in some parts, it's redundant as hell in others. Getting Organ-ized is as advertised pun, but more rehash 4

8. What's Your Name... YT mislabels even within the video itself. This is my favorite song on the CD. It's a strange one about the hero falling in love with an invading alien. Though it is a bizarre themed number, it also contains the best solo work run/wail simutaneously outside the debut album. Song utilizes a lush full chordal assault that works so nicely as the verses cressendo in and out in a nice manner- 1

9- We Can Make It- See earlier balladry comments - 7

10. Magdalene- No thanks- 6

R-371871-1302466167.jpg

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Personally was not a big fan of Boston....to me it was AOR radio friendly hard rock though done well for the most part.
I liked Foreplay/Long time being a fan of prog with it's long keyboard intro and the first lp is the only one I ever really listened to. Not sure how it was 'groundbreaking'.....can you go into that a bit?

Catfish

Reaction score
Personally was not a big fan of Boston....to me it was AOR radio friendly hard rock though done well for the most part.
I liked Foreplay/Long time being a fan of prog with it's long keyboard intro and the first lp is the only one I ever really listened to. Not sure how it was 'groundbreaking'.....can you go into that a bit?
I think what Scholz did as far a technical wizardry was a big place holder for the day that established creating an debut album that I think might be still a record sales at 17M. With headphones on, and while in audiophile careful listen mode, there are things and tricks that Scholz does in production, and technical play that still to this moment boggle the mind.

Want a good example that I used at other sites? At the conclusion of Peace of Mind there is a 3 melodic phased versed guitar run that is so perfectly layered, and performed to vinyl we have had arguments of whether this was (1) luck (2) ahead of time engineering and production pizazz or (3) 10,000 takes with an included mystery 3rd guitarist, and they finally nailed it. Never came to a consensus, and as far as I know Scholz never explained it.

I can't argue the point of AOR, except this is more of a function oftiming (Height of AOR '75-'80). To me AOR embodied the formulaic, rather than the inspiration. Saying Boston is AOR on albums 2 and 3? Absolutlely. In those they pretty much rehashed and recycled. But that debut album, at least from my POV, provided rock and roll a step change that there were highly than normal talented rockers out there, who just didn't have the prog chops or tendencies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerotas

Staff online

Members online