Review Black Sabbath- Vol. 4- (1972) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Album of the Day- Black Sabbath Volume 4. ****

First a disclaimer.... I am not a fan of heavy metal, or even really like the genre anymore, (especially '80's and '90's and forth) But, in my early years this particular band had so unique a sound and were so good at it, I was a big big fan. I will also go on record and say that Sabbath's legacy can not be understated. Probably no musical act in history besides them can claim that they single handedly invented a genre.

My first choice to share, will not be likely the choice of others. The seeds were planted with Self-Titled, and Paranoid. But with Master of Reality and Volume 4, the formula and sound was so honed down to a craft that you knew that these boys from Birmingham were really on to something big. So it almost came down to a coin flip between Master of Reality and Vol. 4. To me, they are equally good. So the coin flip went to Volume 4, which was released in 1972. And as usual, I will rank the cuts in blue.

What kind of sets their 3rd and 4th apart from first two, where Self Titled and Paranoid broke the ground genre wise, and worked of the new car smell, the following two, seemed to have the more intense music intent. I feel Iommi plays much more inspired, though songs like Iron Man, were much more well known and loved. But one fact can not be overlooked. In 1970, no one remotely sounded like Black Sabbath. They invented Metal, and should be honored for that fact.

Fun Fact: Original Title was planned to be Snowblind, which for obvious reasons was nixed by the record company.

Side 1-
------------

Wheels of Confusion- Before getting to much further into the catalog, it needs to be mentioned that this album famously was created at the height of Black Sabbath drug use. One could almost sumise that every song had to consider tinges of that aspect. Lyrics on Wheels was no different. Though at face value, the some my appear retrospective, it also could come across as an acid trip. Needless to say, on this cut, and almost every other one on this album, Iommi's work is spectacular. Ozzy's voice is also at maybe its most strong in the entire catalog. -3

Tomorrow's Dream- Good drumming by Ward, which from what I read was a stretch. They say he was so strung out, and near overdose, that he was not functonal. Song has a tad of a native american vibe to it too. Song really rocks though, -4

Changes- I have said I have really never been much into rock ballads. But when Sabbath did them, they seemed surreal considering all the mayhem that surrounds them. The melotron work in the tune also makes this one errily beautiful. Could be almost a lull in the action tune in a Thrasher Movie -5

FX- I combined this song with Supernaunt, because in my youth, there was no way to really de-couple the tunes. Actual cut (FX, meaning Effects, I guess) is really only a minute and a half space age sounding reverb. But buddy, does it ever augment into the most hellacious metal tune of all time. -1

Supernaunt- IMO Greatest Metal Song of all time. Every band member lets it all out and fly in a bombastic manner. Great riffs, Fablous Geezer thump line. Ongoing crashing cymbals. This is what heavy metal rock and roll is all about. Please don't skip this one.- 1

Side 2-
-------------

Snowblind- Again, one of a number of drug referenced tunes, and in this one, the boys affirm their love of Cocaine. Fantastic hooks, where Tony and Geezer fully blend their fret work in a powerful and blasting tune. Easy a top 5 BS tune, and would be the best if not for Supernaunt. 2

Cornucopia- I remember this as fan favorite back in the Live sabbath days. Time changes and shifts in meter are just another example that these aren't brain dead head banging ax guys. There is really some great song writing intertwined with shot gun blast to the ears.-7

Laguna Sunrise- Another great light ballad that just makes you scratch your head, that how can the same guys who blast out Supernaunt and Paranoid compose this. This is almost something in the air you would hear from Zeppelin.-6

St. Vitus Dance- Not saying this is filler, but this definitiely a drop off from the rest of what was become a great album. In this line of work batting a 1.000 is near impossible. - 9

Under The Sun- Filler part 2? Saying this may be blashpeme from the modern metal heads, who many believe think this song is the blueprint of all modern heavy metal. I personally don't agree, and this song just doesn't give the last of the album justice. Stick with the first 6 tracks. - 8

The 1st 5 albums of Black Sabbath are all worth a listen. But if you really want to hear them at their best, try Master of Reality or Volume 4.

51E0yc8KsxL.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Again, nice review. I won’t argue that the first 5 Sabbath albums are essential to own. I still rank Paranoid as #1.

Snowblind & Supernaut are definitely in my top 10 Sabbath Songs, however, I rank War Pigs, Fairies Wear Boots, and Paranoid higher on my list.

Another favorite, Heaven and Hell. There is something special about Dio being vocalist but to me Black Sabbath IS Ozzy, Geezer, Ward, and Iommi

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan either of metal rock.....but I also liked Sabbath and of course Zep in the early days.
I like the first 3 Sabbath better but 4 and Bloody Sabbath are also solid lps.
I also played the death out of Uriah Heep first lp and Spooky Tooth 2 etc....there were some great obscure things I liked as much as Sabbath and Zep in the very early 70's.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This may not be the place to post this but my story is relevant to the topic.

I was like both of you. I said I didn’t care for heavy metal. I had a friend who was co admin with me of this forum back in 2009 that liked heavy metal, especially power metal. He would tell me that if I liked Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, Led Zeppelin and the early Aerosmith albums, most heavy metal is not any heavier than those artists. He insisted I begin with a band called Helloween and the album Pink Bubbles Go Ape.
Definitely a newer sound for me with double thumping drums and a faster pace but it was not any heavier than bands I was already listening to. A metalhead was born!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online