Are There Any Major Record Label Horn Section Bands Anymore??

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^I am ordering a nice professional cleaning machine next month Slip...both to clean up the old records I can salvage, and the New beautiful vinyl editions I am ordering. Found a site that absolutely blew me away two weeks ago.:D

I'd like to see a link to that LG.. Mine are in need of a good cleaning by now..:cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is the site I'm ordering my "Nitty Gritty" machine from, among other things.:D

Needle Doctor

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
They still have them! I don't think you'd like the style as much as I do but the first group that came to mind was "Monty Are I" who incorporate one into a lot of their songs. One member plays the trumpet and another plays the trombone! They use the instruments along with a lot of other instruments on the album. The horns seem to add a ska-ish element which is a cool mix with the orchestral and hard rock elements. They use these instruments most on their "Wall Of Sound" album. Here are songs that include them in places!

Only The Weak

[GROOVESHARK]18563144[/GROOVESHARK]

Ties Off Your Veins
(Live not the best sound quality but shows it played in a live setting)

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
^^^^ Aww Soot Brother.. I'm sorry man.. I listened to all of those and IMO Monty and I do not have a horn section.. Just because two guys start a song off with a couple notes from a Trumpet and Trombone, dosn't make that a horn section..
A horn section consist of 3-5 guys who play nothing but horns..Nothing else or maybe a couple will hit some conga's a cowbell once in awhile.

But dude.. Those guys just use a couple of wind instruments to add to the song..
You can say the same thing about CAKE.. and it's NOT anything close to having a horn section in the band..

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
^^^^ Aww Soot Brother.. I'm sorry man.. I listened to all of those and IMO Monty and I do not have a horn section.. Just because two guys start a song off with a couple notes from a Trumpet and Trombone, dosn't make that a horn section..
A horn section consist of 3-5 guys who play nothing but horns..Nothing else or maybe a couple will hit some conga's a cowbell once in awhile.

But dude.. Those guys just use a couple of wind instruments to add to the song..
You can say the same thing about CAKE.. and it's NOT anything close to having a horn section in the band..

Yeah, I though about that after and I guess I can't think of anything grand scale but figured that it was rare enough today to have any of those instruments incorporated in that type of rock. I'm betting if anyone can answer this it'd be Cosmic when she sees this. I know Morphine from the 90's were pretty much a Jazz rock band that used a lot of horns, etc. but nothing more recent in my collection unless I'm having a blind spot. :heheh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I think I'm having a blind spot Soot.. Can't even think of one band recently that would even attempt a horn section in a rock genre..Once you get into Jazz and funk bands your going to hear more horns.. But now days.. There are keybords that can mimic all kinds of horns and they use those instead.. Not impressed by that I might add.. But either lack of funds or just don't know enough musicians to put a horn section together is most likely the reason..

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I think I'm having a blind spot Soot.. Can't even think of one band recently that would even attempt a horn section in a rock genre..Once you get into Jazz and funk bands your going to hear more horns.. But now days.. There are keybords that can mimic all kinds of horns and they use those instead.. Not impressed by that I might add.. But either lack of funds or just don't know enough musicians to put a horn section together is most likely the reason..

I'm betting there are bands like that but I just don't know them. Rock is trying so many different things now to stand out and with bands becoming bigger and bigger in size (from Slipknot and Polyphonic Spree) there's bound to be some Indie band that incorporates a horn section. I just know it has to exist. :heheh:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'm betting there are bands like that but I just don't know them. Rock is trying so many different things now to stand out and with bands becoming bigger and bigger in size (from Slipknot and Polyphonic Spree) there's bound to be some Indie band that incorporates a horn section. I just know it has to exist. :heheh:

I did a few search's and zip.. Nada so far.. Like LG said.. Maybe it's a retro thing some don't want to have attached to their style..

I was just wondering if just one band out there that is not underground is using a horn section.. Jazz R&B excluded..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online

No members online now.