Arctic Monkeys (Official Thread)

Syd

Reaction score
Re: The Offical Arctic Monkeys Thread

^^^ Great performance too :)

I know what you're saying, and it's always great when you can listen to something and like it immediately, but I've got a lot of favourites (both songs and albums) that have been 'growers' too.

I remember first hearing Arctic Monkeys and it was like a blast of fresh air, and I have always loved their lyrics. The city they are from, Sheffield, is practically just up the road from where we are so all their place references and the local dialect they use means something and has always amused me.

I've seen a lot of hate dished out to Josh Homme for 'messing up' their sound on Humbug, but I totally disagree with that (but then I am a big fan of The Homme :)). I actually like Humbug, and my favourite Arctic's song is from that album 'Crying Lightning'.

I also think he messed up their sound a bit. They had their own sound going on which was really good. And I don't really like much of Homme's music except for a few songs. And the thing is that for example I notice that the band is better. The music is great, lyrics too but I just can't get really attached to it. I find it hard to listen to that album more than once in a row. The other day I listened to "Whaterver people say..." 4 times in a row and didn't get bored for one single second. They are missing that catchy thing they had. Crying Lightning and Cornerstone are the ebst songs from that album.

I also love the lyrics, they use some really interesting words and stuff. Really funny the first album. :D I used to feel very identified with Dancing Shoes. The story of my life jaja.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

I think the other thing you have to take into account is that they were just teenagers when their first album came out, so as they grow their music is bound to develop too.

If I had to pick a favourite album of theirs it would be their debut, and yeah quite a few songs from it had me chuckling at the lyrics :grinthumb

I'm betting on the new album having some songs with great lyrics too, I know Brick by Brick isn't an example but that's just the simple style of that song.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

Alex Turner had written the soundtrack for the movie "Submarine".

Trailer from Submarine

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

New Arctic's single (due to be released on 6th June), 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved Your Chair':

:grinthumb

Gorgeness

Reaction score
Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys first two albums were a punkie indie blend with a little bit of pop to keep both alternative and straight line listeners interested...
Their third album took a little bit of a different turn going more dark and psychedelic and alternative, owing what the band referred to as listening to alot of Cream amongst others.. The album ostracized both the punky side and the poppy sides but setting a new direction for themselves incorporating some new with the old
I personally feel the last album was their best and is the best album of the 21st century so far.. The band didnt listen to what the world wanted but made what they felt was good music and stepped into somewhat new territory, which sadly happens very little today in the thriving target market driven music industry

their 4th album, suck it and see, is going to drop on the 6th of June and it appears to once again take a new direction, taking on apparently the accessible pop of the earlier albums with a retro feel..

One could say that its just a formula bands have, make 1 good cd, make the 2nd like the first because it seems to be working, make the 3rd totally different to let people know you are artistic and because you dont wanna be in a box and with the 4th you blend all you have before and come up with something original yet classically yours...
Maybe it is a formula, but maybe its a really good formula, Led Zeppelin did it, the first two albums are riff driven and hard with the third album coming out of left field being very acoustic and slow blues driven, and the 4th is arguably one of the greatest albums ever, incorporating heavy riffs with acoustic magic...
If this is true, then the 4th album of the monkeys may be something to look out for ;)

heres a taste of the old from the 2nd cd and a taste of the new off their 4th

YouTube - ‪Arctic Monkeys - 'Fluorescent Adolescent' (2007)‬‏
YouTube - ‪Arctic Monkeys -- Don't Sit Down 'Cause I've Moved Your Chair‬‏

Anyone else here like the direction of the Monkeys?

Gorgeness

Reaction score
Re: Arctic Monkeys

Yep :grinthumb Really into the heavier rockier sound on their new single Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved Your Chair, if the rest of the album is like that then it'll be a gem :)

definately! :oyea:

Syd

Reaction score

Suck It And See was leaked a few days ago so I checked it out. IT was a rather pleasent surprise. Some of the songs are great, brilliant. And there are no bad songs. I don't know if it's going to be one of the best albums of the deade even, but it's really good, btter than Humbug.

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score

Always was a fan of the Arctic Monkeys and love the heavier rock sound :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Members online

No members online now.