Review Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic (1975) ****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Aerosmith- Toys in the Attic (1975). ****

Most rock fans have a particular favorite of theirs when it comes to the "Coming of Age Topic". This was blaring on the 8 track and soundtrack during the precipice of my youthful indoctrination into sin and debauchery. So, there is always a warm place in my heart for today's addition Aerosmith has had a long and illustrious career. It has been uneven ride, but there was a period of time in '74 and '75 with "Get Your Wings and this one, that there was no doubt, they were among the royalty of Rock bands at the time. There's a good reason it is highly in view in the movie "Dazed and Confused" It screams 1975.

I view this the band's high water mark for songwriting and musicanship. Tough thinking why the subsequent works, were though good, didn't match the level of greatness. I always speculated that lifestyle issues were the issue, but I haven's seen any documentaries that confirm.

Toys is more consistent and less filler than Get Your Wings, but I will have to admit their remake of Train Kept a Rollin' is my favorite in their entire catalog. In any case, this is a fantastic album, and if you want one that best exemplies their talents as hard rockers..... This is the one.

Fun Fact: Aerosmith's best selling LP- at 8X Platinum

Side 1
----------

Toys in the Attic- Bombastic, Chaotic, and bad ass. The band awesomely and innovatively syncs 2 guitars and a bass into one hook induced riff machine. Perry also does some fantastic solo work mid way. 2

Uncle Salty- Boys take it down a couple of notches, in a semi-bluesy tune, that has some decent late song harmonies. Not near the best on the LP, but not filler either. 7

Adam's Apple- Another Solid Rocker, but as far as overall quality with the full album, lower tier. 6

Walk this Way- Vocal gymastics from Tyler, in this very famous tune. As far as I know this was the first sampled rock song by the Rap community 4

Big 10 Inch- Band decides to try without success to do a 40's swing number that is just mostly silly sexual innuendo. Worst part of the LP- 9

Side 2
----------

Sweet Emotion- This one very song almost defines Rock in 1975. Even the movie Dazed and Confused played it in its entirety. For every BeeGees and KC and the Sunshine song, this one was there to counter the stench. The reversed sounding percussion added to the bombing melody line are unique. And are permanently ingrained into our pscyhe of the era. 1

No More No More- After being winded after Sweet Emotion, this Boogie Woogie based keyboards perfectly augments this awesome hard rocking tune, just keeps the buzz going. 3

Round and Round- Another really good solid rocker. Really good Perry solo work, under almost a metal like base, and bass for that matter- 5

You See Me Crying- All of you know that with a few exceptions, I am not into Rock Ballads. Unfortunately this is what we get at the close of the LP. There is some redeeming solo work by Perry at the end of the song. But meh... for the most part. 8

R-7669960-1446557346-6726.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Staff online

Members online