10 Most Underrated/ 5 Most Overrated Songs By Your Favorite Artist or Band

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Onto a band like Slayer. I have wanted to give this band both a little praise and slamming at the same time.

Ill go with 10 songs I think of theirs that goes a bit under the radar.
1. Behind the Crooked Cross
2. Here Comes The Pain
3. Circle of Beliefs
4. Catatonic
5. Cult
6. Playing With Dolls
7. Black Magic
8. Born of Fire
9. Captor of Sin
10. Cleanse The Soul

Now for the overrated and also overplayed at the same time tracks. I like these songs but like LZ Black Dog they have been beaten to death.
1. Angel of Death
2. Dead Skin Mask
3. South of Heaven
4. Raining Blood (like the song but Slayer have done better songs for me)
5. Skeletons of Society

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Interesting thread, think I'll do one for my favourite band:

Pink Floyd

Underrated
1) Fearless - A great song with some strong, memorable lyrics and a beautiful bridge. I consider it one of their very best.
2) Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast - Often (wrongly IMO) dismissed as rubbish, it's musically excellent as well as being funny.
3) Fat Old Sun - My favourite of the shorter songs on Atom Heart Mother, lovely to listen on a warm summer's evening.
4) Any Colour You Like - It might surprise some that I've included anything from Dark Side in my list, but I think this is genuinely underrated - I really like the heavily distorted guitar.
5) Mudmen - Excellent combination of Gilmour's guitar and Wright's organ.
6) Nobody Home - One of the best tracks on The Wall, evocative and highly descriptive lyrics about loneliness accompanied with lovely piano and strings.
7) Poles Apart - Really like the lyrics about Syd and Roger, and the central guitar riff. The middle section is weird, but it works.
8) The Nile Song - It rocks! Great vocals by Gilmour, too.
9) What Do You Want From Me - One of my favourites from The Division Bell, it builds really well and the guitar and vocals are powerful.
10) The Gnome - Syd Barrett at his best, a nice guitar line, the lyrics are outwardly child-like but are actually very well written (and amusing when you realise what the song is really about).

Overrated
1) Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 - I like this song, and I really enjoy the guitar solo, but I often see this listed among the greatest classic rock songs at the expense of Floyd classics like Time (let alone Echoes and SOYCD) and it just doesn't deserve that status. It wouldn't make my top five songs from The Wall.
2) See Emily Play - This does nothing for me, this sort of music just isn't my cup of tea I guess.
3) Bike - Creative with some amusing lyrics, but by the end I tend to be glad it's over.
4) Learning To Fly - There's something not quite right about it - it's not bad, and one of the best songs on Momentary Lapse, but I think it seems too commercial and hasn't aged particularly well.
5) Careful With That Axe Eugene (studio version) - The guitar and organ parts aren't quite powerful enough, and the live version on Ummagumma is much better (not to mention scarier).

Picking the overrated ones was more difficult, there are definitely more underrated Pink Floyd songs than overrated ones. I really enjoy Money, and don't consider it overrated.

None of the songs from Animals made the underrated list, it's great album and is widely underrated, but I don't think any of the individual songs are among the top 10 most underrated.

I might do more for a couple of my other favourites, or even bands I don't like quite as much but I think I could do a list for.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
3790.jpg

Underrated
10. The Prettiest Star- Prior to finding it's home on "Aladdin Sane", this glammed up, dreamy Bowie single was released with Marc Bolan on guitar and tanked commercially. Now it just gets eclipsed by "Jean Genie", "Panic in Detroit", and "Watch That Man.

9. Subterraneans- Bowie and Brian Eno produced a lot of trance-like, instrumental tracks for the Berlin Trilogy and of all of them I think "Subterraneans" is as good as it gets. It's subtle and beautiful with Bowie's chanting vocals giving me chills every time.

8. Reality- When people tell me that Bowie doesn't rock on his new albums I immediately throw this track at their head. It's one of the fasted and most guitar driven songs of Bowie's career and a real standout from his 2003 namesake album.

7. Hallo Spaceboy- The third and final appearance of Major Tom doesn't get nearly as much recognition as the prior two. This is the standout track for me on that early industrial flavor that Bowie would later refine and hit big with on his next album "Earthling". This was also Bowie's first album to work with Brian Eno on since the 70's.

6. The Loneliest Guy- This cut from "Reality" is arguably the most somber song Bowie has ever released and it is one of his most clearly introspective. 'Nuff said.

5. The Bewlay Brothers- Swirling lyricism and building dynamics make this a real standout track from "Hunky Dory" for me but I almost never hear anyone bring it up when just about every song on that album is a fan favorite for classic Bowie fans.

4. Try Some, Buy Some- Bowie doesn't do covers often but when he does they're definitely good. The best of all of them is this George Harrison number that he breaths new life into.

3. Teenage Wildlife- One of my absolute favorite songs from possibly my favorite David Bowie album. "Teenage Wildlife" has a similar musical tone and his iconic "Heroes" only with more fleshed out and layered song structure. The lyrics great as are his vocal delivery. Not to mention has some of my favorite guitar work of any Bowie song.

2. Slip Away- Far off yet ever so classic sounding is this track. My absolute favorite of "Heathen" has beautiful musicality and lush, striking dynamic swells. It is a sad but beautiful track that I don't think that many people really know about.

1. Cygnet Committee- This track off of Bowie's very first album is one of his finest. Ever building and expanding into the stratosphere like a true spaceman "Cygnet Committee" is a stunning and accessible but so very often overlooked journey that I think a lot of people just aren't aware of since it being so far back in Bowie's career that it out dates all of his "classic" work.

Overrated
5. Song For Bob Dylan
4. China Girl
3. Tonight
2. Queen Bitch
1. Jean Genie

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Deep Purple

I'm only doing the mark 2 and mark 3 because virtually everything except hush from Mark 1 is underrated.

Underrated and under played

Demon's Eye (Fireball)
Super Trooper (Who Do We Think We Are)
Rat Bat Blue
Place in Line
Might Just Take Your Life (Burn)
Sail Away
Mistreated
Holy Man (Stormbringer)
Love Don't Mean a Thing
Gypsy
Soldier of Fortune