Warpig ~ Warpig (1972)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1725812235311.jpeg

Warpig ~ Warpig (recorded in 1970, released 1972)
Canada Hard Rock / Heavy Prog
Fonthill Records

Members
  • Rick Donmoyer – electric and acoustic guitars, lead vocals
  • Dana Snitch – keyboards, backing vocals
  • Terry Brett – bass guitar
  • Terry Hook – drums, percussion

This Canadian group got together around 1969 recorded their first and only album, which was released in 1972 by Fonthill Records and released again in 1973 in London with a different album cover…..

1725813065508.jpeg

This album is pretty heavy for its time. I would add this into the proto - metal genre, too. Definitely has some Sabbath vibes along with early Deep Purple & Blue Oyster Cult and a lot of that fuzz that was so popular back then and exceptionally good keyboards, which is probably why the Prog fans will also like this album……

Melody With Balls

U.X.I.B.

Full Album

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
They are on my list of obscure cd/lps to pick up....big bucks on old vinyl but about $22 at Amazon on cd.
I have about 30 or 40 bands on my list for the last 10 years to get...all obscure ones

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
@dr wu you should share that list.
Sure....many of these have been mentioned here before,,,,,some have been on my list for almost 20 years.
I used to have a few on cd and even vinyl but over the years either traded or misplaced them....these are mostly what I consider proto prog ,heavy psych/blues rock, or just strange rock .. I usd to have an obscure early/later prog list but cant find it anymore....so I either finished the list or lost it. :uh:

Mandrake Memorial
Bachdenkel
Circus(1969)
Demian
Aunt Mary
Bakerloo
Bulbous Creation
Cargo
Farm
Fields
Galliard
Indian Summer
Randy Holden
Jerusalem
Fraction
HUman Instinct
Locomotive
Orang-utan
Morgen
Island
Piblokto
Eskaton
Pluto
Polyphony
Sacred Mushroom
Savage Resurrection
Yesterdays Children
Warhorse
Jeronimo
Parish Hall
Warpig
Khavas Jute

Island and Eskaton, are obscure prog from late 70s early 80's....they must be from my prog list of left over things.

Last edited:

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Dang that's a helluva list @dr wu ! I recognize a handful; gonna go look up the rest!

Warpig are great, btw. Great post @Magic Definitely obscure, I only heard about them a couple years ago when I started looking for early "metal" bands.
I've been collecting proto prog, psych rock, and prog for a long time. I started in late 60's with classic rock etc but soon became a fan of the more obscure stuff starting around '69 after I heard ITCOTCK by King Crimson. Over the years I met a few guys who turned me onto all these strange bands and it became a hobby I guess. I also have a lot of mainstream classic rock but over the years I stopped buying most popular bands because of money , space and simply time to listen to it all.
There are many on that list that sound similar to Warpig. Try Sir Lord Baltimore....I have their lps so not on that list. Also try Warhorse , Yesterdays Children, and Jerusalem.
Enjoy......

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online