Top 10 Ringo Drumming

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
In honor of his upcoming 70th B-Day tommorow, what are your Top 10 favourite drumming by Ringo?

My Top 10 in no order with quotes from various musicians including Ringo:

"The fill is the art of the drummer, that happens in the moment. That’s always been the way with me. I can’t think about it. I don’t play drum parts. I have no idea how it’s gonna turn out. I don’t say, “Oh, 16 bars in I’ll do that.” I have no idea at all what I’m going to do, it just happens." -Ringo Starr

"There were quite a few drummers around Liverpool and I used to go home and tell Paul about Ringo. I often saw him play with Rory Storm. ...With Rory he was a very inventive drummer. He goes around the drums like crazy. He doesn't just hit them -- he invents sounds." -Mike McCartney

"I consider him one of the greatest innovators of rock drumming and believe that he has been one of the greatest influences on rock drumming today... Ringo has influenced drummers more than they will ever realize or admit. Ringo laid down the fundamental rock beat that drummers are playing today and they probably don't even realize it." -Kenny Arnoff

"Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do." -Phil Collins

"Ringo comes from a different kind of school, and I find that totally exciting and challenging. How he does what he does…it's so different from what other drummers do. If somebody approaches music or their instrument in a way that's unique, I want to be around that person. To me, there's something to learn there. It was great being around him; he's so inspiring." -Steve Gadd

"Ringo's tom fills really make the song, but funnily enough, he hated doing them because he could never remember what he was did one take to the next. I think that's why his fills are so spectacular - he felt that he would never reproduce them, so he'd better get 'em right." -Geoff Emerick

"Ringo is one of the greatest rock drummers. There were times when he’d get in the middle of a drum fill and not know how to get out, and that’s what made it great." -Ken Scott

"I don't ever want to step on Ringo; he's my favourite drummer. To me, he's the greatest drummer in the world, and the reason I play the instrument is because of him." -Gregg Bissonette

"Ringo Starr’s drumming is infallible, untouchable, and he is quite simply the greatest drummer in the history of rock n roll music." -Steve Gorman

"Ringo doesn't dazzle with flashy technique and pyrotechnics. What he does is so much more elusive and difficult: He plays songs on the drums. Anybody who has sat down behind a drum kit in the last 45 years owes him." -Elliot Easton

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
Too much good drumming performances from Ringo to make my accurate top 10, but my favorite from his has always been the last part of Dear Prudence. Isn't that some of the most precise and technical drumming in rock?

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
Too much good drumming performances from Ringo to make my accurate top 10, but my favorite from his has always been the last part of Dear Prudence. Isn't that some of the most precise and technical drumming in rock?

Paul played drums in Dear Prudence and Back in the U.S.S.R. because that was when Ringo temporarily left the band.

Speaking of that time, here's a nice postcard Paul sent to Ringo to convince him to return...
ringo-card-6.jpg

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
:blush:

Sooo Embarrassing, I am so stupid yes you are right, that was Paul indeed who did the drumming in that one. Still one of my favorite songs though...