Review Styx- Pieces of Eight (1978) **** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Styx- Pieces of Eight (1978) **** 1/2

Several months ago, when I wanted to choose a Styx album for review, it was pretty much a coin flip between this one, and "The Grand Illusion". And it was a tough call indeed, as both these albums released within a 14 month period were the eptimome of grandeur, and American Prog at its very best. Styx and Kansas were a 2 horse race of supremacy that were our country's answer to Yes, Tull, among others. This 1977-1978 timeframe, and I might add '75's Equinox for me is best 3 album grouping in American Prog history, though a strong argument could be made for Kansas' Left Overture and Point of Know Return as a counter.

Grand Illusion and Pieces of 8 too, had some of Equinox's hard edge, and gave newcomer Tommy Shaw a chance to flex the band's Prog talents. No, there is no epic Suite Madam Blue heavy rocking sound, but actually you are starting to see, unfortunatley I might add, is the beginning of Dennis DeYoung (DDY)'s increased influence and stranglehold on the band's creativity. Subsequent albums to these 2, were utter disasters, and what ultimately made their fan base abandon them en masse. Styx by the early 80's had become synonymous to Rock and Roll Suicide. Granted, the band was still selling a boat load of records, but those tallies were angrying fans, and a new breed of fans that was more an animal of pop rock, than good solid rock and roll. Shit, like Cornerstone, Paradise Theatre and Kilroy were like a cruel joke. And at least to me, were a low point of seeing how a great band can sell out, and give the finger to those loyal fans. The unraveling was hard to watch, By 1982 I detested DDY, and didn't even care about his previous contributions.

There really isn't much difference style wise between Grand Illusion and Pieces of 8. You do see a gradual increase in Tommy Shaw's hand, and sadly less of James Young. Young IMO, was the greatest member of the band, and I have never found out why he so gradually backed off. And one can't do a decent review without mentioning the Panozzo brothers contributions to the bass line. The other 3 members shared the limelight, while these two guys provided much much above average competence that stealthly gave their majestic wall of sound feel to their brand of prog. So, props to them, and I hope everyone realizes their would not have been Styx without their tireless contributions.

And last without stealing much thunder from the review, is the fact that DDY's I'm Okay, provides the most powerful and beautiful moments in their entire catalog. I have mentioned many times, that if I had to pick the most beautiful sounding instrument on earth, it would be hands down, a Cathedral Church Organ. The solo-ing and final chorus of this tune, is one of a small handfull of tunes that give me chills when I crank up the speakers to the proverbial Spinal Tap "11". As far as I know, only Emerson and Wakeman were adventerous enough to experiment with the walls of pipe. That song alone, is worth an audiophile giving this one a shot.

And one last general comment, If there is one difference in P/8 and Grand Illusion is that it is easier to discern on a listen who lead the songwriting among JY/DD/Shaw. Which kind of in a way says that the collaboration factor must have dropped on this one, and starting the sewing of discontent... within the band.

Fun fact: Was surprised that none of the released singles from the album charted in the Top 20. Even though the previous LP, and subsequent 4 had several.

Side 1-
------------

Great White Hope- LP comes out rocking. Great piece by JY that gives an early glimpse that the band hasn't exactly forgotten their heavy riffing, rocking days. Song does a great job chronicling what an aspiring under dog, boxer. Fantastic bass line mimicing a fighter hitting the bags. JY's growling lyrics just adds the magic. If you were a purist of early '70's Styx, this was probably your choice. 5

I'm Okay- As stated earier, this and maybe Suite Madame Blue are my absolute favorite Styx songs. I'm just going to ask that you listen to it (loud) and get your reaction if you have never heard it. Listening to it today after years, made my day, and memories galore. Yeah, its a DDY number, but it was a massive creative home run. And not a single I might add. 1

Sing For the Day- Pleasant Shaw ballad. A hit, and I know plenty who thought that this was an essential cut the LP. But for me, this is not why I listened to Styx. Don't get me wrong. Not filler for sure, but a weaker cut that was almost a 5 star album. 8

The Message/Lord of the Rings- I grouped these two as I think this is was the intent of the band. The Message was Synth FX, while the latter was pretty much captialization of the LOTR fad back when I was in College. This one was pretty much gimmickry and pedestrian. Again, not filler, but the weakest point in the album. Too much fluff, and no substance. 9

Side 2-
----------------

Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)- Tommy Shaw's maybe most rocking contribution to Styx. Though strangely it must have had at least tad of JY influence stylistically. Best part of this one is some of the subtle guitar interplay between Shaw and Young. You have to listen carefully, but it some pretty masterful ax work. 4

Queen of Spades- Great DDY ballad that starts and lightly flows into a bombastic rocking gem. If there was one that was a collaboration between JY and DDY, this had to be the one. You can very easily discern the mix of their styles. The balladry and hell raising guitar licks that marked Styx's career? It's here. Best guitar work in the LP for sure. The ending synth work was a nice touch too. 3

Renegade- Tommy Shaw's signature hard rocker. I'd probably started liking it somewhat better, but it got badly overplayed in my circle of friends in the day. No one can doubt it's greatness in the Styx-I-verse at the time though. 7

Pieces of Eight- Absolutely one of the most beautiful and powerfully delivered Styx songs ever made. This one has somewhat of a Suite Madame Blue feel to it, and just about as majestic. DD's voice was never at its best on this one. The intersong instrumental play also at least my opinion is about their high point from a Prog perspective. Almost a Yes kind of feel to it. Awesome. 2

Aku-Aku- I know the song (instrumental) is pointless, but in my breadth of mind in the day, it was a beautiful and fitting end to Pieces of 8, the song, and the album. Kind of like not having Eruption with You Really Got Me on VH's First LP. They just go together. 6

R-8664877-1466182664-7799.jpeg-25944641.jpg

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Decent lp and band though Grand Illusion is better imho.
I also prefer Kansas over Styx....I think all 5 of Kansas early ones are great and 4 of them got 4 stars on Prog Archives though no Styx lps did. I might have given 4 stars to Grand Illusion though.

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I’ve always had trouble calling Styx an American Progressive Rock band and now that you suggest they should be the American equivalent of Yes, I rather hate them even more.

Kidding
Not kidding

dr wu

Dr Prog
Reaction score
Definitely American....being formed in Chicago ;Prog Archives, who I trust, calls them 'prog related'...so not full on prog rock, and I agree.
As I said above ,Kansas were better and proggier imho , but neither were true 'prog rockers' like Yes in their classic period from Yes Album through Relayer.

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
It’s much easier to relate Kansas to Prog Rock for me anyway. Remove the vocals and violin and at times you might think you are listening to early Genesis. I dont dislike Styx; I will listen to many of their albums and this is a good review.

Catfish

Reaction score
I’ve always had trouble calling Styx an American Progressive Rock band and now that you suggest they should be the American equivalent of Yes, I rather hate them even more.

Kidding
Not kidding
I really wouldn't really call Styx the equivalency of Yes. Especially when you consider the shit they made the last 1/2 of their career, while Yes remained consistent. Nor was Styx remotely Prog post 1978 either.

And even taking the best 3 of each band. CTTE, Yes Album, Fragile versus Equinox, Grand Illusion, and Pieces of 8....... There is no compariosn. Yes wins that comparison , hands down, not even close.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would give Styx a great run of albums with Equinox, Crystal Ball, The Grand Illusion, and Pieces of Eight. They lost my attention after that.

To be 100% honest, I like all the bands mentioned in posts above. Trying to say one is better than the other, IMO, is like saying a T-Bone steak is better than a New York Strip steak.

Back in the day, I wore out 8 tracks of Grand Illusion & Pieces of Eight, Point of Know Return & Leftoverture, but never ever wore out any Yes 8 tracks, but Fragile got a lot of playtime.

Also wore out an 8 track from Supertramp…lol

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Same here Magic, I followed Styx from their first album right upto Pieces Of Eight.... when I heard Babe on the radio I lost interest... for years I thought of them as in the 'Supertramp bracket'.
Equinox is my favourite album-yet Grand Illusion I listen to most. I suppose I outgrew Styx's sound or didn't agree with the direction they took in albums since '79-'80 onwards. Didn't have this predicament with Rush~ my ears moved on with theirs.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeev512

Members online