Review Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble- Texas Flood (1983) *** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Stevie Ray Vaughn- Texas Flood- (1983) *** 1/2

I discovered SRV at an Austin bar on 6th street back in what was I guess either 1980 or 1981. I think it was like $3 cover, but man was the place packed. What I saw was a wizard who IMO was doing nothing more than emulating Hendrix, with a massive blues twist. I watched for an hour, and saw nothing but Hendrix, and maybe a couple of old Delta type Willie Dixon tunes, among others. At the time, I thought he was just a incredibiy talented cover guy.

A couple of years later, a friend sprung Texas Flood, and I have vivid memores and yelled "I saw that guy..... He plays like Hendrix." And was subsequently treated to one of the best blues albums I'd had seen in at least a decade. I am not a huge blues aficionado , but when I do hear some that have a rocking edge, and that have had those mad skills, it sure gets my attention.

SRV, is an incredibly sad tale of of a life cut short way too soon, and a immense talent who let his chemical demons get to the best of him Vaughn only made sadly 6 studio LP's and his career midpoint was especially marred by his problems. They aren't bad, but from my taste, SRV did his best licks and stuff on this initial album. What compounds to the tragedy, is that SRV broke through, and did some of his best live work right up to his tragic helicopter crash in Wisconsin in 1990. What a great loss. The Blues / Rock fusion as a genre never recovered.

Fun Fact: In 2018, SRV's first Strat (1951) sold at auction for $250K. I have read that if his bastardized 62/63 hybrid Strat (He called it No.1) would ever come available, it might fetch $1M.

Side 1-
---------

Love Struck Baby- Big hit, and a great tune that nicely augments shredding blues licks with an almost 50's rock-a-billy sound. Even though I am not into rock-a-billy, I sure like this one, as the bluez runs are amazing- 3

Pride and Joy- Kind of a nod toward delta blues, but no less expansively covering what comes across as an a blues blast with some innovative orchestrative stripes. SRV had a great supportign crew, but he is so talented he steals 98% of the spotlight by design. 2

Texas Flood- Maybe one of the last great rocking blues songs made? There might be exceptions, but his is almost the perfect blues number for your average rocker. SRV is so precise, so crisp, and has the phrasic value so perfectly timed And the solos? ..... Amazing... Amazing. 1

Tell Me- Another delta blues remake from Howlin' Wolf. Nice job, and more great very fresh solos.. 6

Testify- A little venture into Double Trouble land which dominated his latter style. Nothing like how the Isley Brothers did it, that's for sure. 8

Side 2-
---------

Rude Mood- Blues, boogie woogie-ish instrumental that shows the talents, but more of an example showpiece jam than an actual song. 9

Mary Had a Little Lamb- Decent, but nothing as far as a higher tier on the LP. 7

Dirty Pool- Slow roller that I almost felt a little Trower vibe too. Fancy fret work shows some of the more difficult playing on the set. Believe me, high gauge strat strings aren't easy to tweek in what sounds like a freaked out mandolin. 4

i'm Cryin'- Was always puzzled that SRV basically and blatantly cloned and rehashed Pride and Joy- Docked accordingly 10

Lenny- Guessed this was inspired by Little Wing- Very off base with rest of the LP, but there are some good bits. Sure relaxing for a blues song. 5

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Now you’re talkin! Texas Flood is one of my favorite southern blues albums.

Personally, I’d give the album ****1/2. ;)

Another really good SRV album is “Family Style” with his brother Jimmie.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WPaton

Members online