Review Rush- Permanent Waves (1980) *****

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Rush- Permanent Waves - (1980) *****

I initially prepared this review in honor of Peart's 4th anniversary death, thought it would be nice to cover another one of the band's great classics.... Permanent Waves was right in the exact middle of the truly great and prog centristic universe of this legendary band. This LP comes off the heels of what the band in documentaries has called the most exhaustive album (Hemispheres), and that showed in the fact that 1979 was the first calendar year that the band did not release an LP. Lavilla Strangito's assertion as an exercise in self indulgence was never more true. Piecing together Hemispheres had to be a tiring process, and to transition into something a tad more conventional, though no less impactful, had to be a welcome respite.

Permanent Waves has a simpler feel (not all, but some) , a tad more hooked, but no less greater. Every member contributes at the highest level. There can be no underestimating how great Rush was in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Don't get me wrong, I love Geddy's choice to take the band to their next synth phase in the mid 1980's, but as good as those albums were, they never matched the 7 consecutive that were done between 1976 and 1984. Just this fan's take, but I don't any band in history made 7 straight this great before, and likely ever again. Every one of them are 5 Star LP's.

What also makes this album so additionally special, is that in some ways the band stepped away from the concept aspects, and decided to not only make great music, this might one of the most stylistically diverse of the stuff in the early half of their career. Yeah, way later in the 21st century they were all over the map. Maybe too way over. In full sight, this one gives every Rush fan what they want. They get standard hard rock and roll, prog, melodic almost classical, reggae, and bits and pieces that highlights the immense diverse talents that they had. And like many in this era... Zip filler. you get 100% fine stuff. So when you see my ranking, don't think the lower numbers are any aspersion on any song. They are all great. I sure as hell miss this band, but will enjoy what they provided while I can. AND hope that after 4 years after Peart's death, that they might venture into the studio for an encore, and a tour would be just icing on the cake. There are plenty of other great great drummers who would be honored to take the gig.

Fun Fact or Un Fun in this case: I'd dock the band a 1/10 a star if I could for changing the 2020 40th anniversary edition cover away from the harmless slight up-skirted version. WTF...bowing to wokeness, and guys..... why F___ with perfection.

R-15405290-1591018912-2635.jpg

Side 1-
-----------

Spirit of the Radio- Can you find any Rush fan without this on in the upper tier of their play list? I doubt it. Legendary rock tune that to this day gets massive play on classic rock radio stations, and maybe only less played than Tom Sawyer. Song is an almost transendary blend of what makes Rush great, Thundering fast bass runs, wailing and searing quick guitar solos, and drum work that few if any could, can, or will be able to replicate with any authenticity. Song is the ultimate ode to the history and prominence of the recording industry. The point that even I think this is the second best song on the album is just more evidence of how great this album is. In 1980 I might have had this at No .1 but just wait...... 2

Freewill- I have always felt that this was one of Peart's greatest poetic pieces. Spiritually, or philosophically, you might not agree with this strong libertarian leaning prose, but there is no doubting Neil's level of intellectual prowess. Song has some really nice chording that alternately blends perfectly with bad ass runs. No Filler Zone Folks 4

Jacob's Ladder- The Prog contribution that hits a homer. This mostly instrumental so intricately and powerfully conveys the feel of a battle and aftermath, kind in the same vein as Bytor and the Snowdog did several years earlier. The synth / Peart interplay is incredible in how tempo accelerations are not only managed, but are seamless. These are masterful musicians. 3

Side 2-
----------

Entre Nous'- Very standard Rush kind of song, that harkens and sounds more like their mid 1970's versions. More complexity and clearer production though- 5

Different Strings- Softer and the band's balladry contribution Very good, and still this fabulous song is the weakest in a absolutely great album- 6

Natural Science- One of my all time favorites in the entire Rush historical catalog. This song beautifully and encapsulates how and why Rush is so great. Peart's grasp and thoughts about being "in general existence" just is spectacular. This song works much like a masterful symphony in how it changes directions, tones, directions, time changes, key changes, mood changes, and on and on and on. Only the genius of Rush can make this level of music. What I have done in the past few years is listen to every live version of it, and watch as it is amazing how their interpretation and approach changes and adjusts at each tour's show. Try it... you'll be floored. Also I have read that Lifeson was quoted as saying that this was his absolute favorite song to play in concert. Watching his enjoyment is great to watch too. Of the 20 or so itineration, my favorite version of it is added below 1

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Very good thoughts here. I do love the early to mid 80’s Rush more than the mid to late 70’s Rush. They had a very long stretch of consecutive albums I adore at the end of the 70’s into the mid 80’s which includes Permanent Waves of course.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Outstanding album. As usual, top notch review.

Gold Dust Woman

Reaction score
The lyrics by Peart on "Natural Science" are some of his best ever and that is saying a lot because his lyrics are probably some of the best ever in rock music. Then Geddy's voice singing the lyrics and the guitar work by Alex on this is utterly amazing. I agree definitely one of this groups best works.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online