Review Pearl Jam- 10 (1991) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Pearl Jam- Ten (1991) ***

Pearl Jam is a text book example of the sudden fame, them flame out story. Early Pearl Jam was one of the progenitors of Seattle's Grunge scene with Nirvana. Rounding out the Seattle pioneers in this genre included Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. But it was these first two that helped define what Grunge was, what it stood for, and how it was to progress.

Nirvana flamed out for the reasons of excess, including of course most sadly, Kurt Kobain's suicide. Pearl Jam faded for drastically different reasons. Their debut was very very good, as they took a more rocking edged sound to Alternative. And I repeat this is a good album in any era, and how huge was it? Try 13X platinum. And though digression is evident today, they are still recording. But the uneven story is one of the descent from grace and a slow downward ride. Here are sales of their 12 studio albums in chronological order.... 13XP, 7XP, 5XP, 1XP, 1XP, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold, Nothing, Nothing, So what happened? I have a few theories including first and most of all, that front man Eddie Vedder is extremely difficult to work with. In fact when you read the credits for the album he is listed as vocals and "additional art". How pretentious is that? I also think this may be something like "The Boston" syndrome, where a band ultimately shoots its wad on a debut, and never finds those creative juices ever again. And 3rd, by 2000, Grunge was dying under its own weight of silly imitators. That seems to happen with any new fad of musical genre.

With all the negative, I still want to state that this album is def. worth a listen though. And IMO as far as content, one of the best Grunge albums ever made. But sampling subsequent LP's I found that the band was either rehashing old licks, or trying new stuff that came off as parody. Thus, why I am shocked that they are still recording.

The focal points of the band are of course, is Vedder who sucks the spotlight like a Dyson on 'roids. I also think highly of their guitarist Mike McCready. Though not flashy, his ability to fill the expanse , gives PJ a unique sound that sounds markedly often not Grungey (?). Even in long term abstract failure, I do have to give props to the band by keeping 3/4 members intact during their 30 year career. In true Spinal Tap fashion, only the drummers have been changed (All still alive though)

Fun Fact: Pearl Jam served as Neil Young's back up band in Young's 1995 album "Mirror Ball"

Track No.
--------------

1. Once- Starts with a Phil Collins like intro, that then rocks more like a 1970's / Grunge Blended effort. Maybe this morphed effort helped differentiate themselves from Nirvanna, who took a more punk slanted approach. Good intro to the band, and even better to come. 6

2. Evenflow- The crown jewel of the PJ catalog. This is a top 5 staple of any Grunge fan, and deservedly so. So well metered, delivered. and I really enjoy the subliminal like blues like guitar undertows that includes an almost Hendrix/SRV like style. 1

3. Alive- What an excellent followup to Evenflow. Comes across as kind of a grunge ballad, but is much more heavier. And despite disturbing content (incest) has that perfect level of hook, musicianship, and grunginess to make it a hit. More McCready ax work helps too. 2

4. Why Go- You'd kind of swear that this was an '80's hair band number. Before grunge, I have an idea that this was what most of the Grunge group was jamming to at the time. As far as an add to the album? Mediocre. 8

5. Black- Somewhat of a semi-sleeper. Nothing hooked in this, but the most heartfelt aspects of the album. Nothing particularly outstanding, but hearing the entire band at half speed was an interesting approach that I liked 5

6. Jeremy- What is it with the darkness of early 1990's music? NIN, Metallica, et. al. I don't remember things being that dank and depressing back then, but a lot of the music sure was. It was still a good way for Vedder and company to get their message across. Which the left took and bended the narrative from suicide to school shootings. . 3

7. Oceans- Didn't say the album was perfect. Honestly, this is awful 11

8. Porch- Another effort out of Grunge-isphere. Outside some good guitar licks, nothing really much to report here. 7

9. Garden- CD seems to be tailing off into drivelous Vedder ramblings. No content, No direction, Nope. 10

10. Deep- Latter CD surprise. Interesting phrasing, bash-a-minute instrumentals, off-key leaning that sounds more like a touch of industrial infused mash. Song has a real improv feel to almost jam mode, that comes across strongly. 4

11. Release- Eastern Morrison like feel sang in a Vedder mono-tone. This is really like a Van Halen album. 2 or 3 great songs, surrounded by filler. 9

Last edited:

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
Obviously one of my favorite albums and your review is well written again. I am surprised the album sales fell so quickly after this with their second and third albums. I think Vs. (Five Against One) and Vitalogy are really good still. Not until No Code and Yield did I feel the decline.

Catfish

Reaction score
Obviously one of my favorite albums and your review is well written again. I am surprised the album sales fell so quickly after this with their second and third albums. I think Vs. (Five Against One) and Vitalogy are really good still. Not until No Code and Yield did I feel the decline.
Thanks, I agree this is a fine album, and in some ways captures the overall feel of Grunge better than Nirvana's "Nevermind". Vedder and Cobain are both so larger than life in the persona of their bands that it is hard to extract presence from the product. And from the surface they actually seem to be 180 degrees apart in their personalities. I have always felt that the Grunge phenomenom was partially concocted by the recording industry, because the "Hair Band" thing had devolved into almost a parody of itself.

One thing though, without these two bands the "Alpha-Numeric" Punk Band era wouldn't have happened.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As always, well written review.

I was/ still am a grunge fan. Ten is my favorite Pearl Jam album. Eddie Vedder is a terrible vocalist but his muffled & mumbling style worked with the music.

PS. Not a huge Nirvana fan

BeatleMatt

Reaction score
I always viewed Pearl Jam as more on the rock side of “grunge”. Like The Who and some Kinks with a little more biting disgust. Along the way they got older and maybe optimistic.
Nirvana was post punk rock side of “grunge” like The Replacements. On the surface, The Replacements and Nirvana did not seem to try hard or need anything but a way to just release energy and emotions. Same for Pearl Jam but different style.
The Pixies and The Replacements were what we called “college music” at the time but they helped set the table for grunge to dine. When Kurt died, so to did “grunge” and alternative music was what we were left with. You see someone wearing a untucked plaid shirt today and it’s a young girl with green hair who likes other young girls with purple hair.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freya40

Staff online