Review Marshall Crenshaw- Self Titled (1982) ** 1/2

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- Marshall Crenshaw- Self Titled (1982) ** 1/2

Right in the midst of the New Wave era resided some really decent somewhat obscure acts that have kind of faded from the memory of listeners. While thumbing through the collection today, I gave this one a listen, and was pleasantly surprised how good about half of this album was. The other half isn't exactly filler, but overall surprisingly good. Strange point though is that while Crenshaw was loved by critics, that adulation didn't translate into album sales, and surprisingly so-so chart wise. The charm in this album is really good songwriting skills. Don't expect an Ocasek / Orr musical new wave clinic. Crenshaw never reproduced this quality, and subsequent works, and latter work not near as good.

If I had to describe Crenshaw, I'd describe him as more pop-ish variety of Elvis Costello, other similar new wave artists of the day, but what made him somewhat unique addition of a Rock-a-Billy sound. Yeah, Hooks-a-million, but when you listen to the overall product you kind of think your are hearing a clone of what a mix of Elvis Costello and Buddy Holly would exactly sound like. And to be honest, I understand Costello's appeal, but I have never been much of a fan. Music is subjective, obviously, but he's never interested me outside a couple of songs over a multi-decade career.

Another few house keeping items on this review. (1) It is a strange oddity in how the album is configured where the 4 best songs are the first 2 from Side 1, and the last 2 from Side 2. Can't say I have seen that too many times (2) Sadly, the entire album is not available for the "listener experience" on YT. So I am adding the four I just mentioned. If it interested, check out the others. Overall.... Not bad.

Fun Fact: Maybe the only act I have heard where brothers made up 2 of the 3 members. Anyone else know of an example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJrz