Review INXS- Listen Like Thieves (1985) ***

album review

Catfish

Reaction score
Classic Rock Album of the Day- INXS- Listen Like Thieves- (1985) ***

Today's installment involves a band that really grooved and squeezed through the New Wave and Alternative genres in a really effective and consistently competent manner through their hay day 1982-1987. In fact, my watering hole and local bar had them booked as a lounge act in 1982, and sadly they couldn't pull it off due to scheduling conflicts. Of course in my little corner of Texas, at the time, I might have been the only person aware of the band INXS. Man do I ever wish that gig had taken place.

I earlier used this term "competent" to describe INXS. This is the absolute case, in that there are 5 backing guys who remained in relative anonymity, but all had solid and much above average chops on the New Wave, funky, alternative resume', and they were as good as any of their peers at the time in the early '80's. Certainly as good or better than their closest peer Duran Duran. But what truly made this band was the soulful sound, voice, and presence of their front man Michael Hutchence. He meant more to this band than Jagger to the Stones, or Steven Tyler to Aerosmith. From the crazy video of the scene of "The One Thing" where the band assaulted their meals with their dates, to the Funky Bluesy "Suicide Blond". Hutcheson exuded an implicit and explicit sexuality persona, with its band sound that made your feet move, and got you lost in the musical moments in quissenital 1980's fashion.

Of course the book for all practical purposes on INXS sadly ended in 1997 with the death of Hutcheson. Apparently he was an early victim of sexual self asphyxiation. Strange way to go, and the band though they stayed together, never recovered even with a number of different other Front Men. And as far as the band's potential legacy. they were in somewhat of a creative and commercial funk in the '90's, but I am sure that the band had plenty of more to give to music history.

Plus a little pre-warning..... This Albums best moments are on Side 1- Not sure why the band decided to not to even out the quality, but if you have time constraints, stick with the 1st side.

Fun Fact: Band still exists, and outside the lead singer, the band has never had a lineup change. Same 5 since Day 1. (1977-2023)

Side 1-
----------

What You Need- Funky opening, with thundering bass and well oiled sax infusiatum. . Large hit for the band. and a strong opening response after the previous album which honestly was weaker than its two predecessor. (The Swing) INXS let the world know, they were back. 3

Listen Like Thieves- Title Song on the LP, and by far the best on the album. Easily one of their best 1 of 3 in their entire catalog. Outstanding hooked chord progression, with still just a tad of that funky guitar that you see in a lot of INXS work. Last verse uses that chordal pattern with some nice wailing guitar solo work to seal the deal. 1

Kiss the Dirt (Falling Down the Mountain) Nice rolling rocker with some aboriginal touches that are xylophone-ish by mid song. The tune starts rocking out significantly and abruptly and nicely, starts building on same patterns. Great song. 2

Shine Like it Does- Pleasant softer number. Well crafted synth added that gives a nice upbeat feel. 6

Good and Bad Times- Duran-Duranish new wave in sound and syncopative style. Quite a drop after the first 4 on Side 1. 10

Side 2-
----------------

Biting Bullets- Another New Wave number that harkens more to a 1970's kind of work than the rest of the album. Hutcheson sang this very atypical to his normal style, going more in the mode of scream than sing. As far as stacking it against the rest of the album? About the middle. 7

This Time- Slower meter, but the song almost has a Stones kind of aura to it. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but it might be how they deliver the harmonies.- 9

Three Sisters- Synth sound effects dominate in a strange manner. I think they were trying to sound or mimic crickets, bugs, and birds, but I really couldn't see the intent of this silliness. Play around in the studio guys.... not on the vinyl. - 11

Same Direction- Now this is the real sleeper on the LP. This one could almost qualify as hard rock. Song also has a "Cars" Hearbeat City kind of mottiffed sound to it too. Best on Side 2- 4

One X One- Blues based Hutcheson screamer with horns to boot. Probably one that would mostly appeal to their hard core fans, because stylistically it doesn't seem to fit on this album. 8

Red Red Sun- Another hard rocker that is well hooked that included vocalized triplets in its delivery. That is pretty odd and unusual for popular music if you think about it. Some of the better guitar runs, though they do sound a bit forced. Jimmy Page, you aren't. 5

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice review! I’m not too familiar with the album but I do like “Listen Like Thieves” & “What You Need”

The only INXS album I own is Kick…my review:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrazynaEjm

Members online